Worried about my difficult child

James Russell

Hello everyone! I recently discovered your community while researching help for my difficult child, and it seems like a good fit.

For a bit of background, I'm a single father. My difficult child is a young woman, recently became a legal adult, and is currently living at home with me. When she was younger she used to run away a lot (I used to blame myself for this, but now I'm not so sure). One time a couple years ago she was taken in for mischief, and I had to go pick her up from the station. I think the part of the problem is that whenever she goes out, she tends to be with a "bad crowd". In fact, one time when she was younger I caught her and her "friends" torturing a mouse. I doubt it was the first time they tortured animals.

We live near the ocean, and she used to enjoy spending time with me in the sand (although she never really cared for the water). I think recent lack of "caring" about things may be due to drugs. I found a bag in her room labeled "5-meO-W", and it had a bitter taste, so I'm almost sure it was some illegal drug. I've heard of drugs making users emit strange smells, and recently I've noticed a strange ammonia-like smell coming from her. Also, some times she gets extremely hyper.

I'm very concerned about my difficult child. Any parents with similar stories or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all,

James

BusynMember

Hi there. So sorry for your hurting heart.

Can you give us a little background on your daughter? When you say you think "they" tortured animals before, who do you mean? That is seriously disturbed behavior. Did she ever do that on her own that you know? Was she adopted or did she have very chaotic early years? Since there is no mother around, and moms usually don't lose total custody, I am assuming Mom had serious issues and perhaps was responsible for some considerable instability at some point in this child's life. That can cause all sorts of problems in development.

Drugs never help. In fact, if this is NEW behavior, it is probably due to drugs only. If she has been difficult and even mean toward people or animals before this, it could be one problem compounded by the drugs.

If she is over eighteen, you can't force her to get any help. That's why it would be helpful to know how she has been in the past and what interventions have already been tried.

I'm so sorry you had to join us, but glad you did find us for support. You will get that!

I

Kathy813

Staff member
Hello and welcome to the CD board. If that is your real name, please change your user name to something that will not identify you.

A quick google check on the drug you found resulted in this:

5-MeO-DMT is a drug which is sometimes abused in order to obtain psychedelic effects. It is in the tryptamine family, and is therefore related to substances such as DMT, serotonin and melatonin. The drug has its origins in a number of plants, as well as in the secretions of certain species of toad. The latter factor has led to 5-MeO-DMT being utilized by shamans in the jungles of South America for many centuries; however, its powerful psychedelic properties have led to it being abused increasingly frequently in the western world, including in the United States.

Also this:
hen 5-MeO-DMT is taken as a single, pure drug, it can be used in a variety of different ways, including smoking and injecting. A very small dose, often as low as two milligrams, is sufficient to precipitate its psychoactive properties. Some people also take it by mouth, along with a monoamine oxidase inhibitor, or MAOI, but this is unpopular with some users because there is a risk of strong adverse reactions. Some researchers have found that in higher doses - above around 30 milligrams - 5-MeO-DMT can be active when taken orally, even without the assistance of an MAOI.

A particularly notable feature of 5-MeO-DMT is that it takes effect almost immediately, a matter of seconds after it has been taken. Its psychoactive effects persist for only a short time, ranging from as little as five minutes when the drug is being smoked up to around 25 minutes when it is snorted. Some users have reported that the sensation is close to that of a near-death experience, although there is a substantial variation between individual users. In particular, the level of tolerance to 5-MeO-DMT varies widely, with some experiencing a feeling of nausea even at relatively low doses while other people can tolerate much higher doses without any visual effects being experienced.

Source:http://www.drug-rehabs.org/research/5-meo-dmt-drug-testing.htm

I also found that heavy use of methamphetamine can cause ammonia smelling secretions.

I believe that your daughter is most definitely using drugs. The best thing you can to at this point is get her into rehab. Since she is now of legal age, you can give her an ultimatum of moving out or going to rehab. Just be sure to check with the laws in your state because some states require that you go through the eviction process whether your adult kid is paying rent or not.

Keep posting. Others will be along with advice and support. We have been through what you are going through.

~Kathy

Nancy

Meth labs have been described as smelling like amonia. Torturing animals can be a very serious sign of mental disorders. It is important that you get her to a therapist soon to find out what's going on.

PatriotsGirl

Yes, meth has a chemical smell...I remember smelling it on my daughter's breath but didn't know at the time that is what it was...

Sent from my SGH-M919 using ConductDisorders mobile app

wittynitty88

The 5-meo series is not meth but a tryptamine; Similar to LSD and mushrooms in the aspects of having "visuals" or hallucinations. The most known that I hear anybody talk about is 5-meo-DMT, never heard of 5-meo-w, must be a newer version. These are research chemicals that are highly popular today.