Worried about upcoming 1st IEP meeting

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

agee

Finally, we have a date for difficult child's first IEP meeting. I am very nervous about it. Despite our neuropsychologist report showing borderline intelligence, despite 75% of the days of the school year getting reports home about poor behavior, and despite the fact difficult child writes like a beginning kindergartner and cannot do homework...I am worried they won't give him an IEP. His teacher reports that assessments show him at or just below grade level...
In this county in order to get an IEP a child has to be failing. He is not failing...but we see the writing on the wall.
The teacher facilitating the meeting is bring the county supervisor because she says she wants to make sure the legalities are covered. This teacher has been doing this for many years, so I'm suspicious as to why she needs a supervisor.
I called an advocacy group and they said they only advocate for kids who already have IEPs.
Worried.
Would love advice.
A

jal

Hi agee,

An IEP should be put into place when a child has behaviors or diagnosis's that interfere with the child's ability to learn or they inhibit others in the class from learning.

A bit of my experience...We knew he was going to need support even before going into K. We requested an evaluation and was told he was "fine". We met again once he started K and I told the team he would need an IEP. I was told probably a 504 would do. I said 3 weeks we'll be back for an IEP and we were. (difficult child was given a 1-1 para, FBA & a behavior plan). From that our difficult child made it through K and a few weeks of first grade when it was evident he needed even more support, which they tried but couldn't provide. We transferred him to a therapeutic school. (SD pays tuition and transportation). He is in 2nd grade, functioning at 3.3 grade level and 4.2grade level in math. He is in no way failing, is extremely competent academically and has a high IQ, but other things he exhibits sometimes hinder his learning. difficult child is our bio son and is extremely impulsive, hyperactive, frustrates easily and can have a hard time interacting with-peers. I won't bore you with-the gamut of testing, dr's and medications we've been through...

That said, the best thing you can do going into this meeting is to have your parent report ready (see archives), and any independent testing results you may have and dr recommendations.

I always found what impressed (and somewhat intimidated) the team was my LARGE 3 ring binder complete with-every independent evaluation, list of dr's, medications etc. that I had. The teams LOVED it. I've taken it to every meeting. We were very candid (depends on how much info you want to share). I will state that our experience is not the norm of everyone on this site. We have been granted things that people have a hard time getting. I once asked for a para in the summer to accompany my difficult child to daycare because he was having a hard time, and I graciously received it. I can tell you one thing I learned from a teacher in the system at the time I needed that para...the school can do WHATEVER it wants to. Those words were spoken before the recession, but they (SD) has the power. Gain a few allies & work with them (but don't accept what's not right, be firm and fair and be prepared, also be willing to share any info you are comfortable with). If that doesn't work an advocate or lawyer may be needed.

I wish you the best of results for your meeting.

F

FlipFlops

Get a digital recorder to take to the meeting. I'm totally all about recording ARDs now that it saved our booties. Plus, whatever you don't absorb in the meeting because it can be so overwhelming, you can listen to it later.

Binders are also GREAT! I actually have a FEW 3inch binders I drag around with me. I think a staff member actually came over to talk to me recently just so she could see if I actually had anything in them. I'm sure she was disappointed when she saw they were full.

V

vja4Him

I have a portfolio, not very many papers yet, but I am working on printing out all of the e-mail exchange. I've sent to the school and district around 70-80 e-mail messages, and have received about 26 messages so far.

Once I start getting more copies of medical reports, and other documents, I will need a binder too! I put my son's name on the binder in bold marker at the top and side.

Status
Not open for further replies.