Worst thanksgiving ever!

Kathy813

Staff member
Janet,

My mother's personality changed after her stroke, too. She became a lot more stubborn and much more reclusive.

We keep trying to get her to join in some activities at the Assisted Living Facility but she "can't be bothered." She used to enjoy things like that before her stroke.

Also, to echo all of the others ~ please keep any guns in your house out of the reach of Keyana. I would be scared of having guns in a house where there are children present.

~Kathy

donna723

Janet, I am so very sorry you're having to go through all this. I echo all the sentiments of the others about the guns, but I know how it is. If HE wants to leave them where they are, it's a lot easier said than done. Would he notice if the ammunition was removed? Just do whatever you have to do to keep yourself and the rest of the family safe.

Is there any way that you could kind of trick him in to going to the doctor? ... like telling him the doctors office called and said that he should come in for some sort of a routine follow-up? Or would he possibly be more receptive if one (or all) of the boys talked to him in a calm moment and insisted that he go ... instead of it coming from you?

Sending lots of gentle hugs, my friend.

busywend

So sorry to hear of your horrible holiday. I hope you all can work through what was bothering husband. I hope he realizes he can NOT put Keyana through all that stress. It isn't fair.

As far as the gun goes. You all are obviously comfortable having it in plain site around a young child. I am not sure why that is comfortable. I assume it is a part of the southern culture? It amazes me actually. That is not to be mean, just not something you would see here in NY - as far as I know anyway.
With all the gun accidents that have been in the news in the last 10 years, I would think all of the adults in the house would have to think twice about it now with a baby in the house after all these years. When your kids were young it probably was not a 2nd thought, but these days it seems scarier somehow.

HUGS!

Wishing you a wonderfully peaceful December holiday!
:santa: :elf:

Kathy813

Staff member
Wendy ~

Just for the record. . .

I live in the deep south and none of my friends have a gun in their home. We have all seen the statistics about guns and accidents in the home. And while I can't say whether acquaintances have had guns in their homes, I can assure you that I have never visited anyone that had guns laying around in open sight. I don't think you can attribute this to southern culture.

Also, I grew up in New York and a classmate committed suicide with a gun that her family had in their home.

~Kathy

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
{{{Janet}}} Sorry your Thanksgiving holiday was ruined by Tony's rage. I hope things are calmer now and you have the clarity to put things into perspective so you can consider serious changes to protect yourself and your family. If you can get Tony to a DR, do whatever you have to to get him to agree to it.

And I know right now you're thinking that you don't want to lose the trailer/value, etc., the bottom line is that your safety and the safety of your family is worth more than some holy trailer, don't you think?

Hide the bullets & create an escape plan for you and baby should Tony have another rage. Sending hugs, support and prayers.

DammitJanet

I was never comfortable with the guns in plain sight of the kids. This is the way he grew up. I was raised in Richmond VA and the only gun we owned was the antique World War 1 rifle that was passed down to my mother from her father. It was kept in the attic in a trunk.

On the other hand, guns were a part of life in his household. They provided food and protected from vermin. He grew up in one and two room "houses" if you could call them that. Some didnt even have running water when he was small. His family was dirt poor. They left the area where I live now to go move up into the mountains of upper SC into an area that could well be likened to Appalachia. Most of the houses they rented were for no more than $25 or $50 a month. The kids grew up knowing how to hunt and fish. No questions asked. They werent toys. They knew this.

This is how he assumed all kids were. Lord knows he thought I was nuts when I did my first christmas's with our kids. He never had such things! He got maybe a two liter drink, a bag of fruit and a ball. We really are from two different worlds.

He did teach our kids from the time they could walk that guns were not toys. We didnt even have play guns. When they got old enough to shoot and hunt, thats what they did but there was no playing with guns. They simply were not toys. So they didnt even attempt to look twice at them. Why they obeyed this rule when they were difficult child's is beyond me but I guess it falls under the same thing as Cory never attempting to hit me. There are just things that werent in his nature.

One of the big problems about getting him to a doctor is he has no health insurance. He works construction and they dont provide it as an option. All the testing they did in the hospital showed nothing wrong. Hmmm. I dont believe it. But I know he isnt going to be able to afford to go get more MRI's or anything like that without insurance. We barely make it week to week.

husband's family lives in Nova Scotia. Guns are hanging on the wall for all to use. It's the way they were raised, they didn't have anything, and lived off the land. My kids would always go "shooting". From the time they were little, they would go along. It's nothing like how we were raised, but it's normal for them. I understand the mindset.

I'm sure you would know if there were a program husband would benefit from for health care. Did you see the movie "Sicko"by Michael Moore? It's sad how the health care in this country works. Health care would be free in any other country, plus your paycheck would never cease while you were sick. They even pay for in-home care,someone to do your laundry, and cook. People in prison even have more benefits and health care then your husband does. In reality, he can't take off from work to get treatment, because then he won't get paid. My heart goes out to you and your family about that. -Alyssa

donna723

Janet, there are lots of people here who have the same attitude about guns. Just about everybody has guns. Kids are taken deer hunting at the first opportunity and they take Hunters Safety courses in school and must pass them to get their first hunting licenses. I even know people who keep a loaded gun right by their front door. BUT these people don't have small children in the house either!

Have you considered this ... if he received a locking gun cabinet "from Santa" this year, would he use it? Most people here who have guns use them. They lock securely so it would prevent theft and also keep them away from curious grandbabies, and they bolt to the wall to keep them from tipping over if pulled on by small kids. Just a thought ...

DammitJanet

We are resolving the locking problem as we speak. He is turning our bedroom closet into a fortress. He is bolting this steel thing he found on the job through the wood studs and then the guns will be chained thru the triggers. Well...since he only has one left...the trigger.

To tell you how naive he is about locking things up, he still thinks we shouldnt have to lock our doors or take the keys in out of the car! We dont even own a set of keys for our house because we lost them sometime not long after we moved in and have never locked this place up in the entire time we have lived here. He is forever leaving the keys in the cars when we go places. I am flabbergasted that no one has ever stolen one of the cars. Probably because he always drives beaters that no one would want. I throw one hell of a fit if I get up in the morning and find out that he has left MY keys to MY new car out in the car all night...let me tell you that! I have one set of keys that we use and I am constantly making him give them back to me so I know where they are...lol. I keep them on a lanyard around my neck.

I do think this may have taught him an expensive lesson though. We seem to be moving into the 1970s and are going to go get new door locks...lol. Wonder how many sets of keys he will lose?

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> We seem to be moving into the 1970s </div></div>

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Hey, in 10 years "big hair" will be back!

Too cute.

Suz

goldenguru

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Hey, in 10 years "big hair" will be back! </div></div>

Perish the thought. :nonono:

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
I know. The pictures of me during those years bring tears (of humiliation) to my eyes.

Suz

Kathy813

Staff member
Try having your picture taken every year and put into a yearbook. Since I have been at the same school for 21 years now, there is a great collection of pictures of me steadily getting older. Oh - and a complete history of Kathy813 hairstyles!

:rofl: :rofl:

This is my school's 50th anniversary and part of the big celebration is a slideshow that shows the changes over the past 50 years. As one of my best friends (who has been there even longer than me) put the show together, wouldn't you know that there is a picture of me from 1989 with - - BIG HAIR!

They showed the slideshow over the television system in the classrooms and my students had a field day with my picture.

:bag: :teacher: :bag:

Did I mention that she used to be one of my best friends? :rofl:

~Kathy

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Oh Kathy, you poor thing!

Janet, we also did not own any keys to our house up until about 2 years ago when I made H change the locks - I kept all the keys and gave each daughter one. We generally go in through the garage anyway. And H leaves his keys in his truck every night. And I did until about 3 months ago when there was a news item about kids checking cars for keys...you know, it's an easy target. We feel safe here, no need to lock doors and take in keys, right? Even in my old car, which was only a 2003, fairly new. H leaves his keys in the ignition!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Janet

Don't feel bad about not locking your doors. I rarely lock mine, and we have 3 computers, 2 laptops, and various other valuable items. I just make sure Molly is inside. lol husband gets mad because I never lock my car doors. But I never leave my keys inside, thank goodness. Although I have left a purse full of cash and credit cards in there over night by accident. (THAT never happened twice :surprise: )

Please don't remind me about the big hair. We were watching old videos of the kids when they were small and I thought the girls were going to bust a gut over my 80's hair. :bag: :rofl:

I promptly told them that it was highly probable that their kids would be making fun of their clothes and hair styles in about 20 yrs. lol

I'm glad Tony is working on a cabinet to keep the guns locked up. That'll be one worry off your mind.

Hugs

Marguerite

I'm sorry you had such a bad day, Janet. husband really does sound like there is something wrong, post-stroke.

Locking doors - we don't always lock up where we live, either. And the only time we've been robbed - we were home anyway, husband was in the next room and I had just come out of the bathroom to go into our bedroom. If I hadn't stopped to talk to husband, I would have seen the burglar's face... as it was, I saw the back of him as he went back out our window, left open in the summer heat.

And when this happens, it's not BREAKING and entering, because they didn't have to break anything to get in, they didn't break in anyway. It's just ENTERING. And, of course, theft.

Guns - we have very strict gun laws in Australia, following from the Port Arthur massacre about 11 years ago. The laws are strict but not stupid. Those who live on the land (or off the land) who need guns to shoot vermin, or to manage their farms, have certain types of guns (generally the ones they always used) available to them, on licence. And long before gun laws came in, the recommendation ALWAYS was to keep the guns in a locked cabinet, to prevent tragic accidents. It's what sensible farmers should do.
The guns that are banned in Australia are the military-type semi-automatic or automatics. The high-tech ones which won't just kill a rabbit, they'll slice, dice and mince it so fine there's nothing left to put in the cooking pot. Those guns will probably also take out half the cattle herd and most of the wheat paddocks, just in trying to shoot one rabbit, or kangaroo. The only people ever getting those were the hobby shooters (a danger to SERIOUS shooters) and the more fanatical/criminally minded. There are always exceptions, but as things are here, people who NEED guns and can give a good reason, can HAVE their guns providing they licence them and follow some rules (which are mainly for safety and record-keeping).

I think telling the police AND passing the serial numbers round the pawn shops is a darn good idea.

I hope things settle down.

One suggestion - a bit late now, but maybe for next time - when a shouting match starts, try to hose it down. Literally, if you have to. If both parties are shouting, the fight continues. But if only one is shouting and no apparent resistance is being offered, it should settle sooner. You and Cory need to switch off the "I must win this argument, I must defend truth, justice etc at all costs" and simply BACK RIGHT DOWN - for the moment. WHEN HE IS CALM then maybe you can say the reasonable things he would have heard, pre-stroke. And think about if - if you had quietly said to him, "Of course dear, Cory stole your coat, AND your leather jacket. And the torch too. Despite the fact that he has several coats of his own and it's been too warm to wear them, he still had to have yours. He's also taken the car, pawned the house, he's moved to Jamaica and none of us are even here talking to you now, we're all a figment of your imagination..."
Well, maybe leave off the last part of that, but sometimes agreeing, especially when it's absurd, can turn an argument on its head. If he HAS to be argumentative, he will use the very stupidity of it to attack you and say, "Don't be silly, woman! Why would he steal both my coats? It's not been cold enough to need coats anyway..." before he realises he's just undercut his OWN argument.

Post-stroke - he is probably forgetting where he puts things, is also angry at himself for forgetting as well as refusing to publicly acknowledge that HE has the problem. It's the ultimate in denial, and memory problems only make denial (and anger) easier to maintain.

And if all else fails - a bucket of cold water, literally. It stops fighting dogs, in their tracks. It's also more acceptable than a slap across the face.

I do hope things improve.

If you called the cops while he is raging, what would happen? What hospital costs would be incurred? I don't know (or understand) your medical system.

Marg

K

Kjs

Janet, I am sorry you had such an awful day. If it makes you feel any better...I was right there with you! Too bad we didn't live closer, we could of hooked up for our OWN T-day! Luckily mine was very short..worked until noon and had to go back that night.

Hoping the week ahead brings better days.

tiredmommy

Janet- try getting husband one of those leather key chains that goes through his belt loop or around his belt. That may help him keep track of the keys. Plus, designate a hook in the house just for the keys.

DDD

Sorry, Janet. Sounds like the stroke has caused Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) type symptoms...including cognitive issues and short term memory loss
just like my easy child/difficult child. You have my sympathy but I don't know that
an MD can make it better. Fingers crossed that something changes
positively. DDD