Would anyone be interested in meeting at a hotel like we once did

PonyGirl65

I haven't seen evidence of White Supremacist up here, but we do have our fair share of red-necks ;)

I don't know if anyone would be interested in traveling to the Great White North, but there is an adorable hotel in Minocqua, WI that is walking distance to a number of the cutest lil' craft and antique shops you ever want to see. Hotel is right on the water, accommodations are very comfy!

Minocqua is about 50 miles north of where I live. I could provide a link to the hotel if you want to check it out.

Peace

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
That's not a bad idea, though a bit of a drive for me, now that I live on the outskirts of Milwaukee.

That said, it's not like I need a map for the drive. Just the street address for the hotel.

PonyGirl65

Well actually, when I look at the rates, they're not too bad. $99/night for 2 weekend nights, or $89/night for 3 weekend nights :)

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Their rates are VERY reasonable, given that the Comfort Inn in Rhinelander charges 125 a night during High season, which is twice a year: when the fishing is good, and when winter sports are good. Winter sports involve several ice fishing derbies on the local lakes. Minocqua has a lot of year round sporting activities. good hiking for those who aren't interested in killing things (other than skeeters)

Forget about scheduling this in the last part of July though. Rhinelander hosts CountryFest, which draws enthusiasts from all over the US. The insanity makes it all the way out to Minocqua.. Hotels will be full of visitors paying inflated rates for inferior rooms. The roads will be crawling with state, county, and local police. under orders to write as many traffic tickets as they can, and with that, they are ordered to make a quota of drug busts. That basically means the marijuana or worse that the find in your car, might not've been in your car when you were pulled over.

Just be careful. WI is a beatiful state, but it is heavily Republican, a bit backwards legally. It's a good state to get your first DUI in as WI laws don't criminalize the first DUI. It's also a good state to continue getting DUIs so long as you slow down before you get number 6, as they will throw you in jail for a short time and fine you heavily. Drive carefully up North if that's where we decide to have the GTG The drunk are considerably worse than the deer.

Origami

That looks like a really nice place! It would be a long drive for us (5+ hours) but it might be possible. My husband is having some surgery later this year, and the date is undetermined, but count me as a definite "maybe" if folks decide to get together.

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
I would highly recommend getting together if you possibly can. There have been many "reunions" over the years...Cape Cod, Las Vegas, Cleveland, there was another one long ago in the Midwest somewhere, etc. The mods had a wonderful meeting in Galveston, TX many years ago. I went to Galveston and the Cleveland meetings and it was so wonderful to meet face to face with the group who had been holding each others' hands for such a long time. There is no one on earth who can relate to your life more than the kindred spirits you meet on this board. I have made lifetime friendships that I'm eternally grateful for.

Suz

PonyGirl65

Also the first part of June is no good here either ~ The Woods & Waters Area of Narcotics Anonymous hosts its Annual Journeys Convention. THis year it's June 9 - 12 :)

If we didn't do it this year, this could be a consideration for next year. I'm not sure but it looks like the rate deals are only in place until May 23 (weekend BEFORE Memorial Day)

DammitJanet

We had get togethers even in the very early years of this board. We had a couple of south east meets in SC.

I couldn't afford the Vegas trip but Tony saved up for 6 months to get us to the trip in Cleveland after I almost died in 08. The people on here we met were mostly folks who had been in my life since 99. Though we met Annie and her daughter and Tony still remembers lil emo girl fondly.

BusynMember

GN, such a lovely (sarcasm)picture of so many cities.
I well remember the Sikh killing. What is wrong with people????? So many nuts, so little time.

After living in Chicago, my taste for cities evaporated. I actually like college towns and moving to Stevens Point is on the radar for us. There is lots to do, young college kids tend to lack the prejudice of older people and the town seems, for lack of a better word, fresh. I am not a typical older person. My ideas and politics are sort of Berne Sanders ;)
LaCrosse is also possible. Love it. But need to stay by Sonic. Dont know why. He NEVER calls us for help. Ever. And that would only be an hour away.
Anyway, what you say about Milwaukee saddens me, but it is expected.

Nature

I'd love to meet up with you folks someday but I too am located in Canada.

Not that would stop me as I used to travel to the US often and have worked in NY previously but I won't be able to do it this year. Raincheck for me but SomewhereOut thank you for bringing it up. I hope it happens and you all have a wonderful time.