Would it be bad to batter a batter thief?

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Arrrrg! easy child and I are making cupcakes for her to share with her class tomorrow since it's her birthday. I had a batch in the oven and there was batter in the bowl waiting to go in for the next batch. I turned my back for a minute while difficult child 1 was in the kitchen, only to find him standing there eating the raw chocolate batter -- I shrieked at him "WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!!!" And he held up the spoon he was using and said "But I'm not using my fingers!" :ashamed:

Geez I wanted to smack him! We will barely have enough cupcakes now, thanks to mister spoonhead... :mad:

Andy

Have you not scared your kids with the raw egg in batter news?

My difficult child allowed kids to handle a piece of dough that came out of the bread machine. He specifically told the kids that they would have to wash their hands after handling it because it had raw egg in it. I didn't even think of that myself - I was just making sure that piece would get thrown instead of cooked.

We make sure we taste test before the egg is added.

It is very good of him to use a spoon and not his fingers though! He is learning, just not the right lesson for that moment. How can you get mad when he tried so hard to do it the right way?

Hope you were able to scap out enough for the next batch to take to school.

daralex

Clinging onto my sanity
My difficult child used to make the batter when I wasn't around and ate the whole thing! I haven't been able to bring refrigerated cookie dough into the house for years! (or pudding mix, hot chocolate mix, ice tea mix, etc.) What is it with them?!

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
I licked the bowl a lot as a child - and the beaters - raw eggs never hurt me (I don't think... Maybe that's why I'm weird though). So I don't use that on my difficult children. However... I have informed them that, if I have cake or brownie mix, that if it "vanishes" they get to learn to make it from scratch. After the one time they saw me do this... Well, no mix has vanished.

What we do to avoid the whole batter thing... At the very end, I take the spook (yum), and the difficult child who was helping me gets the bowl. I scrape a lot out, so the spoon tends to have more on it... LOL! They think they're getting a treat.

However, since it was difficult child and not easy child, I'd make him pay for more mix at the very least.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Yeah, we did end up having just enough. Honestly, the difficult child-logic is just enough to push me over the edge sometimes!

mstang67chic

Going Green
My difficult child used to make the batter when I wasn't around and ate the whole thing! I haven't been able to bring refrigerated cookie dough into the house for years! (or pudding mix, hot chocolate mix, ice tea mix, etc.) What is it with them?!

I had cookie dough in the house one time (the square break off kind). I found half of it in the trash the next day (because I didn't bake it fast enough....like IMMEDIATELY) with doggy teeth marks on it. difficult child told me that Taz (our dog at the time who actually was a good food theif. Just not THAT good) OPENED THE FRIG, got the dough out and ate half before difficult child could get it away from it. Kind of funny now. The REALLY funny part? You would think this would be a difficult child story from an 8 or 9 year old? Oh no. He was 17!

gcvmom

Here we go again!
difficult child told me that Taz (our dog at the time who actually was a good food theif. Just not THAT good) OPENED THE FRIG, got the dough out and ate half before difficult child could get it away from it. Kind of funny now. The REALLY funny part? You would think this would be a difficult child story from an 8 or 9 year old? Oh no. He was 17!

Dang, 'Stang! How dumb DO you look? :rofl:

I have to admit, I have a hard time resisting chocolate chip cookie dough...

Andy

Oh but I believe it! Here is what happened: difficult child forgot to mention that he had gone into the fridge 1st to find the healthy foods you keep there. He loaded his arms up and kinda sorta shut the door of the fridge with his free foot. However, the door didn't shut all the way so Taz was able to push it open though no one really knows why for sure because difficult child already had the healthy food. What dog would want to look for other food? Anyway, that is how the door got open. The cookies were on the very edge of the shelf because difficult child had moved them in search of the healthy food.

This all happened so fast that by the time difficult child put his armful of healthy foods down and turned around to properly close the refridgerator, the cookies were a goner.

(slinking to my corner - I am such a good role model for difficult children - NOT!)

flutterby

Fly away!
Tell him that cake batter isn't all that great. However, brownie batter..... Let's just say I don't scrape the bowl very well when I pour the batter into the pan. :D