Would like your opinions..

mavh2005

Not sure if I should post this here or not.. but I really don't understand the bipolar diagnosing thing...

difficult child's BM has put on her facebook page that "doctor said after *&^%#$ tonsil's are removed her bipolar should improve" This person is 4 years old. In 2008, the little girl was diagnosed with ADD.

I really don't believe BM, but would really like to know what you guys think.

Please help me!!
Thanks,
Michelle

JJJ

Well, if she is having them removed because of sleep apnea (or even if it is because she is sick all the time), the quality and quantity of her sleep will improve. Good sleep hygiene is very important to managing bipolar, so it should help in that manner. Sleep problems are often misdiagnosed as ADD.

mavh2005

Well, if she is having them removed because of sleep apnea (or even if it is because she is sick all the time), the quality and quantity of her sleep will improve. Good sleep hygiene is very important to managing bipolar, so it should help in that manner. Sleep problems are often misdiagnosed as ADD.

I had mentioned the sleep apnea possibility to BM before and she told me that that wasn't the problem. This little girl had her adenoids and tonsils removed and tubes put in her ears. I know for a fact she's suffered from ear infections since she was a baby. BM said they were removing the tonsils because they thought they might be cancerous...

Fran

Former desparate mom
BM may not be explaining adequately what the doctor said or meant. Sometimes what is said is interpreted incorrectly.

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
I had mentioned the sleep apnea possibility to BM before and she told me that that wasn't the problem. This little girl had her adenoids and tonsils removed and tubes put in her ears. I know for a fact she's suffered from ear infections since she was a baby. BM said they were removing the tonsils because they thought they might be cancerous...

If this little girl has been suffering from chronic ear infections she's probably been very irritable and uncomfortable for a long time.

Perhaps BM is expecting to see an improvement in the child's demeanor? Not a "cure" for bi-polar, but feeling better would certainly make a big difference in behavior, I would think...