would this be the wrong medications

F

flutterbee

I think inadequate care is a huge understatement. This was neglect.

How horrifying.

TerryJ2

Who knows? Except that employees sat there and ignored her for over an hr.
I hate to say it, but that is so typical NY. I have a cousin who lives in Manhattan and she was in the ER for 13 hrs. I called every 2 hrs to check on her b4 she was finally admitted to a rm.
The places are overcrowded and not just poorly staffed, but incorrectly staffed. Most mgrs hire people with-brains. Apparently, these hosptals hire people with-o brains or hearts.
My cousin had to hire an assistant to 1) change her sheets ea time she wet the bed or the catheter overflowed; 2) bring her tea and water; 3) physically get the nurse when the medications ran out, because no one was ever at the nurses' station to see the light go on...
You get the idea.
Amazing she had to pay out of pocket for that.
I have offered many times to have her move to VA but she would rather have her "independence" in her apt., where she is alone and in pain and can't even get the mail, than in an unfamiliar place with-relatives, 3 square meals plus scads of chocolates, and great health care.
There are 2 sides to every story.
Still, when someone goes to the ER, it's called EMERGENCY for a reason.
Disgusting.

dreamer

sadly it happens more than what gets caught by media for news.
My husband was at a VA hospital after a motorcycle accident, an ambulance took him to our local ER with liver laceration, head injury, shoulder injury and road rash over half his body. Local ER discharged him without doing XRays, without any physical exam, still bleeding. When he did not leave, they called security to put him in my car. I took him straight to VA hospital- got him inside somehow- and we sat and waited and waited and waited......19 hours. There was a man in waiting area near us, he was there before we got there....he looked to be asleep. I paid little attention for several hours, more concerned with the situation in my own hands- but after several hours it occured to me that man had not moved AT ALL. I looked closer and realized he was not breathing. He was dead. Who knows how long he had been there like that?

As for inpatient care? My best friend had end stage cancer to go with her MS. She continued to refuse to go inpatient becuz care is so poor. When my pop was inpatient for his cancer, I was elected to sit with him thru the nites, we did not permit him to be in hospital without anyone sitting beside him. Becuz I worked nites, and was used to a nite schedule, I drew that time slot.
When my mom was placed in a nurseing home with her brain cancer, my siblings believed mom would be "safe"- they assumed this meant they could be relieved of "duty" How wrong they were....I tried to warn them, I worked local nurseing homes for years....that nurseing home now has a class action suit going on for neglect and abuse.
When my son had surgery, I did not leave his side at all ever his entire time in, except for the time he was IN the OR itself. Call lites take so long to get answered, at any hospital I have been at here for the last 20 years. Our ER wait to be seen has never been less than 6 hours. I have a friend whose child died from what should never have been a life threatening problem due to how long it takes to be seen and ER here told us my sons eye was fine, but, turns out he had a peice of rock in it, and since we did not know, it grew scar tissue around the rock peice and that is how he came to lose it. The scar tissue created all kinds of problems, but had they tended to the peice of rock originally, it never would have come to this.

There is a severe shortage of staff at many hospitals. Especially nurses. When I worked in nurseing our pay was rather low, workload was unsafely high. The last nurseing home I worked in, I had 20 Alzheimers patients on one floor in one wing as my direct responsibility PLUS 20 semi independant patients on another floor in another wing, and 8 completely dependant patients on yet a 3rd wing. All by myself. 3rd shift. It was physically impossible for me to be able to care for them properly per law, forget per human kindness......to check each every 2 hours, change who needed changeing, feed those who required snacks or more in feeding tube, dispense medications properly and timely, and on top of that, 3rd shifters were also required to run laundry themself as needed (bed linens, nitegowns, and day clothes left from day shift not finishing) and take garbage from nurses stations and patient rooms to basement. It simply was not possible. BUT pay was low, heck I could have made as much waiting tables (and did for years) and we had been TRYING to attract new nurses for a long long time.......but who wants a job working all holidays, weekends, overtime, working with body fluid exposure with heavy lifting requirements etc and the serious responsibility involved? etc and not even make as much as you can make waiting tables?
I am afraid the whole thing is going toget far worse before it gets better.