Wouldn't you just jump at the chance?

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
I have to go to FL for two days. Just two measly days, but out of those two days I will only be working for about 2-3 hours, interviewing someone. The rest of the time I am FREE. All day Tuesday and then all afternoon Wed.

So, out of the goodness of my heart I arrange for difficult child to come with me - just for a shot in the arm of some warm weather, a break away from here. Heck, she's not working or going to school and whenever I go away on business, she and H get into something ugly, so I just figured it'd be a nice getaway for both of us to spend some fun time together. And it wasn't cheap.

So, this morning the agent calls and says she can get difficult child on the flight with me and difficult child is sitting in front of me at my office and I ask her, she says "okay, I guess so" and I give the agent my credit card info. After I hang up, difficult child says, "I don't know if I really want to go" real quiet-like. So I called back the agent ASAP and cancelled - fortunately, she hadn't sent it in yet. Then when I hang up, difficult child is annoyed with ME for cancelling!!! Then she starts complaining about how she hates to fly, she will be mad about experiencing warm weather and then having to come back to this cold place....etc. I mean, c'mon, gimme a break here.

If my mother ever, which she never did, offer me a FREE two day getaway to FL, I wouldn't have hesitated to say "YES!!!!"

I would love to know exactly what it is that is wrong with my 19 year old daughter. Sun, surf, free? Sounds like a dream to me.

Guess I'll just have to enjoy all that down time by myself at Clearwater Beach. Hmph.

maril

Hope you do enjoy your time away and that all goes well at home while you are gone.

Maybe your daughter is like me -- I get antsy when it comes to flying. We recently returned from a trip via flying and I had trouble with my ears on descending (had a cold and stuffiness going on at the time and had tried to prevent problems by premedicating pre-flight...didn't work too well). Anyway, my husband wants me to accompany him on a flight to FL in the next month or so for a couple of days, also, and I said, oh, no, I can't fly the way my ears are (knowing that probably by the time the flight comes up, my congestion, etc., will likely be resolved). I was thinking the same about myself ... why would I avoid the opportunity to get away for a couple of days? lol. I also have one other huge consideration...if we leave, difficult child will be here by himself and that could be a real problem.

Good luck on your trip!

M

ML

I think it will be more fun alone! What I would give for alone time. Though I'm a big faker. I had a chance a couple years ago to go on a free cruise with my mom and brother but chose to foot the extra bucks to bring along difficult child. They all thought I was crazy but he had the *best* time.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Well, ML, that's just it. I think she would have a lot of fun. We do actually have a good time together (when we're not discussing her future;)). And I think it would have been a nice shot in the arm, you know. I know the job search (and it's awful results) has been really getting to even her nowadays. She keeps applying and keeps being told "No". It bites.

So, instead, one of the PT secretaries down there contacted me and we're going to meet for lunch tomorrow when I arrive because she's off. We've never met in person but I think we will have fun. We have a good time talking on the phone anyway. And in the evening, I think I will head out to Clearwater Beach and take a walk along the beach. I am bringing along my crocheting project and a book, so I'm sure I can figure out how to spend my alone time. It will be nice. I'm not afraid to eat out alone anymore - got over that years ago.

I have to remember to pack my GPS!!!

I think it will be more fun alone! What I would give for alone time. Though I'm a big faker. I had a chance a couple years ago to go on a free cruise with my mom and brother but chose to foot the extra bucks to bring along difficult child. They all thought I was crazy but he had the *best* time.

C.J.

I had to go to Pittsburgh in the winter last year for job training for two weeks. The weather was chilly, a little snow one night. I had a great time away from N* and day to day household stuff. Read a few books, saw some Pgh sights, someone else made dinner every night.

Enjoy!

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
There are so many things about traveling for work that I enjoy. First is not having to care for anyone or anything. Second, is having all my expenses paid for by someone else. Third, eating all my meals out. I know that last one would get old but for two days, it's so great! And lastly, not making a bed, not having H twitch all night beside me, not having to take the pups out at midnight in the cold; I get to meet new people and see new things. All on someone else's dime - oh, did I already say that? Hahaha.

M

ML

Enjoy every moment of your trip. Hopefully next time you can enjoy some time with difficult child :)

DazedandConfused

If I were to offer Daughter something like that, she would drop EVERYTHING to make that trip. She LOVES travel and she always behaved when traveling. Went to Australia for two weeks when she was 11. Her goal is to see each natural wonder in the world. She has swam The Great Barrier Reef and seen the Grand Canyon.

I kid her about Mt. Everest and having to rough it. She tells me, "I don't want to CLIMB it, I just want to SEE it"

I say, enjoy your time alone. I envy you!

SRL

I passed up a chance to go to Florida last year. Disney just wasn't my thing.

I could take some warm sun and sand right now though.