Wow! It's Not Mom's Fault! (For once...)

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
I don't know about your household - but in MY house, Mom is the one who does everything wrong.

It is all my fault. I have been ruining difficult child's life for YEARS.

Something is missing?.....Mom
Something is broken?...Mom again
Bad Day?.................Definitely Mom

In short, anything that is flawed in any way is 100% Mom's fault.

And I have developed a pretty thick skin about it.

Now over the years, I have purchased difficult child some beautiful clothes....which, of course, she does not take care of (I know, I know - MY fault)....and so I've been trying really hard not to let it bother me. She owns a gorgeous sweater: Hand Wash Only - Lay Flat to Dry. So naturally, this sweater is kept on the floor, or under the bed - walked on for weeks at a time....and when it is finally ready for the laundry, it has been put in the machine on the HOT water, heavy-duty cycle, WITH bleach...and then thrown into the dryer on high heat. The fact that this sweater does not look as nice as it used to is, you guessed it, all Mom's fault.

So imagine my surprise when I found difficult child in the bathroom...carefully handwashing this sweater! And when she was finished washing...she laid it carefully to dry.

When I asked her about it? She explained that she wanted the sweater to stay "nice"...and she felt bad that it had been washed 'wrong' before.

I said "Well, that wasn't my fault."

difficult child's response?

"I know, Mom. It was mine."

:faint:

Knock me over with a feather!

StressedM0mma

WOW WOW WOW!! I live that same life. I would love for my difficult child to take some responsibility. I will try very hard to hold out hope that she can change. Congrats to you Daisy. Have a great day!

B

Bunny

Wow!! That may seem small to some people, but to the parent of a difficult child that is huge!! I'm glad to hear that she saw it was not your fault.

Malika

I guess it shows that everyone, even the most seemingly entrenched difficult child, has the potential to change.

busywend

Now you can relax. She is human!!! She will get it. It will take a few more years, but she will get there. You just focus on keeping her safe from herself and the rest of the behavior things will get better in time.

klmno

Wow! I think that's a sign of maturity and starting to get a little appreciation now that she's reached an age where what she wears is more important to her/her peers. Just a guess but it sounds like a good sign.

I don't blame you for trying all that time- I think in some ways we have to and it's our job- not with ALL things but this is how they eventually get a clue. LOL!