Wow, this neuropsychologist doesn't pull any punches!

TerryJ2

Finally got my cousin's psychiatric report (a month later!) Here are some examples:

"She also showed evidence of perseveration, constructional apraxia, and attentional problems. In short, she is functioning far below her premorbid status cognitively, to the point where she cannot manage her own finances, cannot give informed legal or medical consent, cannot manage her own ADLs, and would be a danger to herself if she were left alone for any length of time.
Mental status examination reveals an 82-year-old, Caucasian female who appears her stated age. Eye contact is poor. Dress is disheveled with adequate hygiene. Interview behavior is defensive. Mood is depressed with anxious and angry affect. Flow of thought is confused, often illogical, perseverative, but is goal directed for basics. Speech is marked with some decreased verbal fluency and word finding problems. Motor activity is weak and unsteady. Appetite is scattered. She has difficulty falling Occupational Therapist (OT) and having restful sleep. She denies suicidal ideation. She demonstrates occasional paranoid delusions. No evidence of hallucinations or illusions is elicited. Judgements for social matters and for personal safety, are both adequate.
...She is in need of 24-hour nursing supervised care in a sheltered setting. She needs to have a legal guardian appointed for her immediately."

rlsnights

That is so much better than a lukewarm report that fails to directly address the need for conservatorship or psychiatric care.

Glad you got someone who knows that and is willing to call it like it is.

I assume you still have to have a court agree that she should be conserved and then order it along with choosing/approving of the conservator.

Hope all that goes as easy as it can. The burden of being a conservator can be difficult and, if there's $$ in the estate that could be used, I'd find a good estate attorney to advise you and draw up all the court papers. Those are totally a pain to do.

Patricia

TerryJ2

I have an atty friend who will do it for me. I don't know how it all works, exactly but that's his job, I guess. :)

There's no estate. Just a closed apt. with-a squatter.

JJJ

Wow, I'm sorry your cousin is doing so poorly but that is an excellent report and should help with the court issues.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Well Terry......Now you know for sure - It's NOT you. Glad you finally were able to get an honest to PETE account of her mental state. Sorry to hear she's so debilitated, but at least now you know what needs to tend to for her, and at least have someone on YOUR side for a change besides us.

Like JJJ said - this should help with court issues. AND evil squat. er.

Hugs

TerryJ2

Yes, although sometimes I still think it's just me. ;)
She can be quite convincing. That's the scary part.
Either way, this is great support. Whew!

Oh, and weird scary, how much of it echoes difficult child ... executive functioning issues, perseveration ...