Wow

toughlovin

We had the best conversation with difficult child over the phone tonight that we have had in the last 10 years...no awkward silences with me trying to come up with questions etc. He is getting to a much better place. For the first time in his life he wants to get sober for himself....the issue is he needs to detox, which of course means his alcohol consumption has been high....but he is talking to us about it!!! We are treating him as an adult and are making some suggestions with the full recognition that he has to find the best way himself. I have some concerns of course but this is the first time ever that he has talked about wanting it himself without being forced into it. I am really looking forward to visiting him!

toughlovin

Welll just an update my son is looking into detoxes!! He hasnt gone yet but is still talking about it and trying to figure it out. He has decided that he shouldnt try to detox on his own which I think is smart actually. I am just trying to be supportive and let him know that I am willing to help..... but am not telling him how or anything like that. Just letting him know I am there for him. It is new and different really. We will see how our visit goes.

Kathy813

Staff member
That's a good sign. I hope that he follows through. If there is one thing that I have learned over the past 12 years is that they will not stop using until they decide they want to and nothing we do will change that.

~Kathy

toughlovin

I absolutely agree! Yesterday helet us know he applied and got into community college! This he did completely on his own initiative and is another sign he wants to move on with his life in a positive way!