WTF??????????????

RN0441

100% better than I was but not at 100% yet
I decided against moving. My house will be paid off by December. I may decide to move at that time. I am just not up to having strangers tromping through my house and it is not always practical for me to vacate the house for a showing.
Wonderful to have your house paid off! I can't blame you for that one. But feeling safe is most important too.

pasajes4

But feeling safe is most important too
I totally agree about being safe. I am considering getting a handgun and concealed handgun lic. I have been against it, but for so many reasons, I am becoming less resistant to the idea.

RN0441

My 29 year old son just got a carry and conceal license with his girlfriend and her family. They all did it together.

I was shocked as he never has shown interest in guns. I also did not want a gun in my house with Difficult Child but he is not living with us now. My 29 year old is moving out this weekend with his girlfriend so never did have a gun in our house. He moved home for a while to pay off some school loans. I hate to see him go but it's time.

BusynMember

I was so anti gun, but crime is ramping up in our area. Husband was in the military. He conceals carries and I feel safer. Also, do you have any alarm system to alert cops?

pasajes4

Crime is always worse in the summer when teens don't have anything to do. We are also a hub for drug trafficking. There are a number of active gangs in our area. Where my daughter lives has less crime but more designer drug use.

Praecepta

Pracepta, Thank you for your suggestions. I have a wireless alarm system that monitors all of the doors and windows. I also have security cameras inside and out. My exterior doors are reinforced metal. I use wasp spray as it is cheaper and much more of an irritant to the eyes, nose, and mouth. My bedroom has a series of 4 locked doors. The door to the master suite is reinforced metal. I have had this system in place since my house got robbed 4 times in a 3 month period of time. The outside cameras are new and go straight to my phone.

I think we need to be giving suggestions to the potential attacker to on how to protect himself from YOU! :)

Anyway good for you. Sounds like you are in good shape security wise. Like the wasp spray idea!

New Leaf

Crime is always worse in the summer when teens don't have anything to do. We are also a hub for drug trafficking. There are a number of active gangs in our area.
That is scary Pasa, living in a war zone. We have young adults living in our area, drug of choice is meth. It is scary. My neighbors have a camera system that feeds to a tv in their bedroom. I am thinking of doing the same. When I go back to work, they know no one is home. It is too easy to break into my house. We have all called police on several occasions due to suspicious activity, but nothing is done. Sure, the police come up, but these people see the blue lights and hide. There are all kinds of places for them to wait it out.
Rain hangs around all sorts of scary characters, thought nothing of bringing them to the house.
Hubs kept a bat in our bedroom. I don't like guns, but I must tell you, the thought has crossed my mind. A gun carrying granny might be a deterrent, but what about when I am not home?
Seems to me that suspicious characters and criminals are beginning to outnumber folks who are trying to live the straight and narrow.
Reading through your post gives me ideas on measures I will need to take.
I miss the good ole days.
Sigh.
Stay safe friend.
(((HUGS)))
Leafy

pasajes4

My neighbors have a camera system that feeds to a tv in their bedroom

You can get feed that goes straight to your smart phone. The systems are wireless, so you do need a wireless home system. You can purchase the systems at big box stores and Best Buy.

Lil

We have had 6 fatal shootings in a 10 mile radius of my home in the last month with another 3 shootings in the past 4 days.

You guys are making me feel SO glad I live in the most boring state capital in the country. We have maybe that many murders in a year! Maybe. Probably fewer! That's just kind of terrifying to think of six in a month. I have a friend who doesn't lock her door when she's gone. We leave our purses at the table at a buffet restaurant. There's a few parts of town I wouldn't feel secure walking alone at night, but even then I think of being robbed, not assaulted.

Jabber's big on security and has been known to take the keys and lock car doors with me still sitting in it. He always locks the house whether in or out of it and just recently we put a lock on the door between the garage and the house...we used to not have a lock on that one...if we forgot to close the garage door, you could walk right on in. As for me, I'm the kind of person who doesn't think much of it. I used to not lock the doors, but I'm better at it now. I started making Jabber lock when he left in the morning because it creeped me out to be in the shower and have the front door unlocked. But I tend to go pay for gas with my keys still in the ignition and my bag in the passenger seat though I do try to remember not to do that.

Then again, our back door is pretty much just glass. So home security is kind of a joke. Jabber says locks keep honest men honest, but don't really stop a criminal.

Then again, there's a loaded gun in his bedside table.

I use wasp spray as it is cheaper and much more of an irritant to the eyes, nose, and mouth.

Brilliant.

Pasa - I guess you haven't heard from him since the spooky text?

InsaneCdn

I have a friend who doesn't lock her door when she's gone. We leave our purses at the table at a buffet restaurant.
Lil...

This is the 21st century. It's time to take safety seriously.

We used to live in a BIG city (1 million +).
Then in a smaller city (under half of that).
We now live in a SMALL town.

Police are trying to get it through people's heads to take the keys when they leave their vehicle... some of them even leave it running! My purse goes with me. Everywhere. And I lock the car when going into the station to pay for gas (don't have to if I pay at the pump).

Most crimes are crimes of opportunity. If YOU are being targeted, it's more difficult to be safe. But if your door is locked (house or vehicle), and your neighbor's is not... they will gladly go "visit" the neighbor.

BusynMember

We have virtually no murders where I live.

Having said that, our tiny city of 18,000 is considered the heroin capital of Wisconsin. Drugs are everywhere. Murder is another story...our increase in crime is due to druggies breaking into homes and hopding up gas stations and once a liquor store.

Lil

It's my friend who doesn't lock her apartment, not me! Makes Jabber crazy! I asked him to go by and kill a wasp for her (she's terrified of bugs) and told him, "She's on her way to St. Louis, the door is unlocked." He about had a fit. :D Imagine how hard it was for him to leave and NOT lock that door behind him. LOL

I mostly take my keys and lock the doors to my car now. I think we dropped my insurance to liability only...so I guess I better not get it stolen. ;)

Really, I'm better than it used to be. Not like I have anything much worth stealing anyway.

pasajes4

I remember a time when locked doors were not necessary. I think every house on my street has a security system of some kind. The increase in violent crimes in this area is just really insane. It seems the news is reporting at least one everyday. I lock my car doors when I get gas. This appears to be the latest fad in robbing people especially women because they leave their purses on the front seat of their vehicles.

RN0441

Worse yet, some creep hides in the backseat of your car while you're shopping etc. and then pops up when you get in the car!

I'd rather them take my car than that scenario any day!!

Copabanana

We leave our purses at the table at a buffet restaurant.
I am from a big city. As a young woman 2x men tried to climb in my car with me. Once somebody succeeded. He looked absolutely crazy. I mean, I saw his mind ticking--thinking what he could get away with. Since that moment I never ever ride around with car doors unlocked. During this era men would hide behind the drivers seat on the floor waiting for unsuspecting women to return.

About my house, I was never that cautious. M was mystified when he met me that we slept with the front door unlocked (in a much smaller metropolis.) And then, after he moved in I became hyper-focused on locking the doors, annoying him repeatedly. Because he would go out to water--and I would follow--and would lock him out. I would double bolt the back doors when the dogs went out to pee or eat. And then lock him out.

What changed? He wanted to know.

I thought about it: I never knew what it was to feel safe before and protected. Now I know. Everything was always dangerous--inside and out. Now I know I can feel safe.