Yankee or Dixie?

happymomof2

To those of you who wonder about the peanuts in the coke - I don't know how or why that got started. Hmmmm..... must be in a history book somewhere :rofl: yea right.

Perhaps I will google that later.

meowbunny

Found this recipe for coke in peanuts, which sums it up pretty well:

1 12-oz Coca Cola. Other cola drinks may be substituted, but a real Coke is best. The Coke must be in a BOTTLE, not in a can.

1 small package of regular salted peanuts. DO NOT use dry roast, spicy or unsalted or anything else.

Open the bottle of Coke. Drink one large swallow. This makes room for the peanuts. Pour the peanuts into the mouth of the Coke bottle. Use your thumb and forefinger to form a funnel.

Drink the Coke and peanut combination. At first, you get a mouthful of peanuts with each swallow. Gradually, the peanuts thin out. As the peanuts swim around in the Coke, they change flavor. The challenge is to "drink" all the peanuts and not leave any stranded in the bottle.

This is actually more satisfying than an RC and a Moon Pie. Combining peanuts and Coke with a Slim Jim or beef jerky is overkill.

I had never heard of peanuts and Coke before, either.

Here is another Southern thing husband and I have learned recently.

Lime sections in a bottle of Corona beer.

And it does make a difference ~ a good one ~ in the way the beer tastes.

And you guys?

We call tennis shoes "tenners".

That one wasn't even on the grid.

And you are right about the friendliness of the persons who take our money at the toll booths! And here is another interesting thing I just thought of, relative to that.

Here in the South, the persons taking the tolls are very well groomed. Generally, their nails are long and beautifully done. Up North I don't remember that being the case.

Now, what might account for that, do you suppose?

:gingerbread:

Barbara

DammitJanet

Well according to husband who does put his peanuts in cokes, the peanuts kill the carbonation and they also give him something crunchy to eat while he drinks his coke...lmao.

DDD

Do houses with "fronchrooms" also have "bachrooms" ?? :smile:

I've never bought "tissues" in my life. We buy Kleenex in two varieties "regular" and "oily". :rofl:

Personally, I'll take an old fashioned screened porch any day over a great room....just the name seems ostentacious. LOL

by the way, "back in the day" when I was a teenage femme fatale my Southern accent instantly magnified when we vacationed in Wisconsin. Boy, those boys couldn't hear enough of my drawl. :rolleyes: My sister used to say "for heavens sake don't they KNOW you are from Miami". :surprise: DDD

Kathy813

Staff member
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And you are right about the friendliness of the persons who take our money at the toll booths! And here is another interesting thing I just thought of, relative to that.

Here in the South, the persons taking the tolls are very well groomed. Generally, their nails are long and beautifully done. Up North I don't remember that being the case.

Now, what might account for that, do you suppose?

</div></div>

I believe it is called "southern social graces." My southern friends say that I have lived here long enough to acquire them myself.

:rofl: :rofl:

It only took 28 years.

~Kathy

I just asked easy child 3 (he is here with us on leave) what is the word for a sweet, carbonated soft drink. He said, "Coke, of course". But I've gotten in the habit of saying "pop".

Down South, you might hear this conversation:

"What would you like to drink?"
"Coke"
"OK - what kind?"

:rofl:

I live in NJ and we always put lime in Coronas. Ya know what else is good? Put orange slices in Blue Moon beer. mmm-mmm.-Alyssa

Sue C

39% Yankee (a definitive Yankee--according to the test)

I've lived in the Great Lakes region all my life. I would think I'd score 100% Yankee??

Wiped Out -- We say bubbler for a drinking fountain. In fact, I never knew the term "drinking fountain" until I was 20 years old and on my honeymoon. I kid you not. I asked where the bubbler was, and the person looked at me like I was an alien! I didn't even know what to call it, so I said something like, "you know, a thing you drink water out of."

The first time I heard the word "sack" for a paper bag, I was in DisneyWorld with husband and Angela, then 4 years old. I had no idea what the woman was asking what I wanted.

We also say tennis shoes for gym shoes. I didn't hear the term "sneakers" 'til I was an adult.

We also say "you guys" when addressing 2 or more people (not "you all" or any variation of that).

How can a soda be anything but a soda? A Coke is a Coca-Cola. Soda is a Coke, Pepsi, Sprite, rootbeer, orange, etc. I've never heard of soda being called just Coke. A new one to me. :smile:

Sue

DDD

I hadn't thought about "sack" as a different word either. This
is a really interesting and fun thread! DDD

Kathy813

Staff member
I agree, DDD, this is a fun thread.

Ilovemyson ~ I grew up on Long Island and we called it soda. I guess it depends on the part of NY state you are from.

Another surprise to me was when I moved to Florida and heard a grocery cart called a buggy. We had always called them carts or wagons.

I still can't bring myself to call them buggies.

~Kathy

Sue C

Well, I've never heard of a grocery cart being called a buggy. A buggy is something you put your baby in and take them out for a stroll. :smile:

I keep learning new things here.
sue

F

flutterbee

A 'buggy' is a word in the tongue-twister 'rubber baby buggy bumpers' or what a 3 year old calls a ladybug. :rofl: We've never called anything a buggy. Babies ride in a stroller. So do some peoples' dogs. :crazy:

You use a paper grocery sack or a plastic grocery bag. You take a 'sack' lunch to school.

Lothlorien

We call it soda here, too. I'm close to NY City, but not close enough to use Youse or youse guys. We call it a water fountain. I've never heard of putting peanuts in coke. My uncle (whom I lived with for several years, when I was younger) made grits and biscuits and he was from Georgia. I don't recall him ever putting peanuts in coke. That's interesting.

We also call ice tea, ice tea. My family that lives down south always ask for sweet tea. If we go to a restaraunt, we have to say sweetened ice tea. Most times, they only have unsweetened and we have to add sweetener at the table.

F

flutterbee

Oh...almost forgot...

In the south, you don't ask, "Hand me that towel, please" you say, "Reach that towel for me".

And your truck didn't break down. It tore up.

And you don't 'get ready' to do something. You're 'fixin' to. As in: Question: "Are you going to go to the store?" Answer: "I'm fixin' to."

And lets not forget words like 'yonder' and 'holler' (not like yelling).

It was like learning a whole new lanuguage. :rofl: And, no, I'm not cracking on you southerners cause I talked just like you all when I lived down there. :smile:

Did you know that there are (or were back in '94) 27 variations of 'Peachtree Street' in Atlanta? Or maybe it was 27 pages of Smith's in the phone book. Hmmm...now I'm confusing myself. But, anyway there were A LOT of variations of Peachtree Street. Made it hard to get around if you didn't know the area.

DDD

"Buggy" is a grocery cart to some southerners but it is for sure what people say about you when you "just ain't rite in the head".
DDD
:smile:

F

flutterbee

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DDD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"Buggy" is a grocery cart to some southerners but it is for sure what people say about you when you "just ain't rite in the head".
DDD
:smile: </div></div>

OMG! I totally forgot that term, 'You ain't right'. :rofl:

Kathy813

Staff member
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">But, anyway there were A LOT of variations of Peachtree Street. </div></div>

And not a peach tree in sight! :rofl:

DDD ~ I believe this sums up our difficult children nicely: "That child ain't right." For you non-southerners ~ the "i" in right is a long vowel and the word takes forever to say ~ as in "That child ain't riiiiiiiiight."

wyntersgrace ~ When I first moved here I heard a teacher say that she was "fixin to carry a child down to the office." I thought she meant that she was literally going to pick him up and take him to the office which would have been hard since he was bigger than she was.

:rofl:

~Kathy