Yankee or Dixie?

When I used to drive OTR, it was a lot of fun to learn not just the different slang but the different dialects. After awhile, I could pretty much tell what state I was in (or close anyways) by listening to the accent.

And EVERYONE, everywhere I went, knew I was from Chicago. I never knew I had an accent before.

Musta picked it up it in the fronchroom.

OK, who says kitty corner, who says caddy corner?

Is it a porch or a stoop?

Is it "over there", "yonder", "up the road a piece", or "over by dere?"

Do you sit for awhile or for a spell? COme to think of it, do you sit at all, or do you set?

Do you say yes, yeah, yep, ayuh, uh-huh, sure, affirmative, aye-aye cap'n?

F

flutterbee

Oh my goodness.

Let's see:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OK, who says kitty corner, who says caddy corner? </div></div>

I say both.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is it a porch or a stoop? </div></div>

It's a porch.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is it "over there", "yonder", "up the road a piece", or "over by dere?" </div></div>

It's over there and almost always has been, but I did slip now and again when I lived in Georgia and said 'yonder'. You can't help but pick it up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you sit for awhile or for a spell? COme to think of it, do you sit at all, or do you set? </div></div>

I sit, but it's none of the above. I sit for 'a bit'.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you say yes, yeah, yep, ayuh, uh-huh, sure, affirmative, aye-aye cap'n? </div></div>

Depends. I say, yes, yeah, yep, uh-huh and sure. Depends on how serious I am. :smile:

Now I have to go take the dog out. Again. I swear she has a bladder the size of a walnut.

Lothlorien

I have a porch, but it's a big front porch with railings. Here, a stoop is a concrete pad with steps. Here, a porch has a roof, railings and is much larger than a pad with steps.

I just say yes. We stay for a while and it's over there.

DDD

Kathy, didn't you ever tote someone or something to the office?
:rofl: Truth be told, y'all, I don't carry or tote a person but
a heck of alot of people around here do! DDD

by the way, do you eat dinner or supper??????

Star*

call 911........call 911
Breakfast - before 5:30 AM

Lunch - 9-10 AM

Supper - 12 -1

Dinner 5-6 night

-Yeah I thought weird too - this is farm life in ND yah fer sure dare

happymomof2

Okay - we fish in a creek cr pronounced as usual the rest is said like eek!!

My DHs family from Ohio fishes in the the creek but instead of eek it's ick.
Down here you have a crick in your neck.

Down Yonder and Up "air" (there) I don't here that much here in Florida but here it from my family in North Carolina.

We have breakfast lunch and dinner. But have heard others down here call dinner - supper.

Had a friend at work that said here in the south us women don't have PMS. We have FTS. Fixin to start!!
:rofl:

I think it's really neat how you could travel in just the United States alone and have so many different cultures etc...

F

flutterbee

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: happymomof2</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Had a friend at work that said here in the south us women don't have PMS. We have FTS. Fixin to start!!</div></div>

I forgot about that one, too! :rofl:

I forgot about the dinner/supper thing.

I always used to think that people who had supper were special. All we ever had was DINNER.

Maybe because we sat in the fronchroom telling youse to go over by dere to the kitty corner porch in your gym shoes to get me a pop, then come sit awhile. And watch Da Bearss.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here in the South, the persons taking the tolls are very well groomed. Generally, their nails are long and beautifully done. Up North I don't remember that being the case.

Now, what might account for that, do you suppose?</div></div>

Well, our toll collectors are men. They get beat up by truckers and guys in Mustangs if they have long manicured nails.

Sue C

Quote:
OK, who says kitty corner, who says caddy corner?

I say kitty corner.

Quote:
Is it a porch or a stoop?

It's a porch.

Quote:
Is it "over there", "yonder", "up the road a piece", or "over by dere?"

It's over there.
""

Quote:
Do you sit for awhile or for a spell? COme to think of it, do you sit at all, or do you set?

I don't use either expression.

Quote:
Do you say yes, yeah, yep, ayuh, uh-huh, sure, affirmative, aye-aye cap'n?

Varies: yes, yeah, uh-huh, okie dokie, and correct.

About the supper/dinner thing. When I was growing up, we had "supper" at 5 pm. I thought "dinner" sounded more sophisticated, so when I got married, I called it "dinner." LOL

Here's another strange thing. Sometimes we say "huh" at the end of a sentence to get a person to agree with us. i.e., "it sure is cold out, huh?" My sister-in-law ends practically every sentence with "enna hey" (she lives by Lake Michigan). My grandma used to end nearly every sentence she said to my grandpa with, "Ain't that so, Joe?"

sue

mrscatinthehat

Seussical
See on the dinner/ supper thing supper is what i cook at home dinner is what you go sit at a restaraunt to eat. But one thing I want to know is if you are going to not be at work because you are ill/sick do you

call in?
call out?
call off?

This always perplexed me.

beth

meowbunny

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Big Bad Kitty</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OK, who says kitty corner, who says caddy corner? </div></div>
kitty corner

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Big Bad Kitty</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is it a porch or a stoop? </div></div>
Porch is where the swing is; stoop is where you sit on the stairs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Big Bad Kitty</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is it "over there", "yonder", "up the road a piece", or "over by dere?" </div></div>
Depends how far away it is. Over there is in the same room. Over yonder is when you point in a general direction. I say down the road a piece. Nothing is ever up the road. And it's over by der when I don't want to look up from what I'm doing and being bugged.

Big Bad Kitty said:
Do you sit for awhile or for a spell? COme to think of it, do you sit at all, or do you set? <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I sit for awhile unless I'm visiting family and then I dang well better be settin mah reah down fer a long spell!

Big Bad Kitty said:
Do you say yes, yeah, yep, ayuh, uh-huh, sure, affirmative, aye-aye cap'n? </div></div>
Well, the only one I don't say is aye-aye cap'n and that's only cause I'll say aye-aye sans cap'n. Marie can always tell when I'm not listening -- she'll get the uh-huh, fine, sure. Affirmative is saved for sarcasm. Yes, yeah, yep and yup is okay by me. Sure is long, drawn out ssssuuuuurrrre -- kinda like you can do that when way down south freezes under. Ayuh is actually only used when talking to friends from Maine and Vermont. Can't stop myself -- say it every time we chat.

meowbunny

Oh, and I call in to work but think that's a Western thing.

Lime in a Corona is actually pretty universal. Only way to make the beer taste good. And it's a Mexican thing. They brewed the beer so the lime would be added to enhance the flavor. At least that's what my Mexican friends told me.

"Fixin' to start" :smile:

Boy, am I going to remember that one!

I love that.

Here is a Southernism I just heard: My mother was down South recently. She was tired and something someone said bugged her. Never the most tactful of persons, my mother said something terrible. (Guys? This was during Thanksgiving Dinner in front of a houseful of people ~ most of whom were related to the woman whose intelligence my mother was questioning over the turkey and mashed potatoes.) Smooth as pie, the Southerner responded, "Honey ~ down here, we follow our insults with BLESS YOUR HEART."

That is a true story.

Barbara

Sue C

Beth -- Now I think I understand the supper/dinner thing with my family when I was growing up. We ate "supper." We NEVER EVER went out to "dinner," as we could not afford it.

I would say "call in sick" to work. And once years ago, when I was sick really bad, I had to have my husband "call in sick" for me. "I'm calling in sick for Sue." Does that sound strange to you? Not to me.

sue

Sue, that could be midwestern. We call in sick too.

Yet if it rains, we call off baseball games.

And if we catch someone in a lie, we call them out on it.

Ha ha, and when we get lonely, we call up a friend to talk.

You know the kind of friend I mean. The kind you can always call on in an emergency?

This thread might just go on forever.

klmno

Raised Southern- we always had supper at home, in the evening. "Dinner" was what the ENTIRE family (ants (LOL), cousins, uncles), went to at my grandmother's house after church on Sun. afternoons. And, on the rare occassions we went to a nice restaurant- not the drive-up type!! So, never thought about it but I guess "Dinners" were more special than "suppers".

DDD

Back in Miami thirty years ago plus a very distinquished, lovely
and fun "mature" lady said to me as she and her husband were leaving
a cocktail party on Saturday night. "Honey, we're having a few
friends over for supper tomorrow. Why don't you come join us?"

Pleased with the invitation, I replied "I'd love to, thank you.
What time should I be there?"

As they headed out the door she replied over her shoulder "just
come at supper time, dear". :hammer: :rofl:

Even my Mother didn't know what time was "supper time" when I called and asked her. :rolleyes:

I got dressed and cruised her neighborhood until I saw cars parking out front. "Supper time" turned out to be around 2 PM.
Weird. Great party, though. DDD

happymomof2

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mrscatinthehat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">See on the dinner/ supper thing supper is what i cook at home dinner is what you go sit at a restaraunt to eat. But one thing I want to know is if you are going to not be at work because you are ill/sick do you

call in?
call out?
call off?

This always perplexed me.

beth</div></div>

I always called in -

husband and I have a difference of opinion on something else -

When something "falls through" I always meant that as it didn't go through

He says that means it did go through

?????????????????? What says all you guys?????????????

F

flutterbee

If it falls through, it didn't happen, didn't work out.

If it 'goes' through, then it worked out.

Tell your husband he's been outvoted. :wink:

We've always had breakfast, lunch and dinner, but my former in-laws had breakfast, supper and dinner. They also always cooked lunch which was always very strange to me. Lunch for us was always sandwiches or something easy. My former mother in law made a very big deal out of it when they came to visit when difficult child was a year old. She and her husband had to go out to eat lunch because we didn't cook lunch. :rolleyes: She was always a bit dramatic.

We call in to work, but I've heard a few people say call off. There was a different expression in the south and I can't remember what it was. It's for when you're not really sick, but taking a mental health day. It's not skipping....it'll come to me.