YEA!!! New para!!

T

TeDo

The para today was awesome, slthough she started off wrong. She talks WAY too much for difficult child's liking. He finally told her "would you please shut up!". She was offended but later asked me if I thought she was doing okay. I simply explained that he can't do ANY thinking if someone is talking so it's best to just not talk to him unless he talks to you and also that he doesn't know her and to give him time. The rest of the day went awesome. She asked a lot of questions and bounced some of her ideas off me. She is pretty much on the same page as SpEd now. I think this could really work. AND SpEd made a point of telling me in private, "I'm going to do everything in my power to keep the 'other one' away from him". Today ended on a great note. difficult child actually spent some time in most of his classes and SpEd is working to get some things changed.

I feel MUCH better now. Thanks for those of you that hung in with my last very long post. I will probably really sleep tonight. I just hope difficult child does too since it's the weekend.

I just love you guys.

DDD

Awesome way to enter the weekend. I'm delighted for you and difficult child. Hugs. DDD

keista

Yay! And Way to go difficult child! He expressed his needs (I'm assuming calmly) clearly. You can work on politeness later, right?

L

Liahona

That is right he told her instead of melting down (we're still working on that here.)

I really hope SpEd can get this good para full time with difficult child and get rid of the other one.

tiredmommy

Well... she's good enough to quickly get over being offended and that's huge when working with a difficult child. I hope she stays with him full time.

crazymama30

I hope she is with him for awhile, sometimes the best sign is someone who asks questions and knows they do not know it all and are perfectly ok with that. I also really like how she got over being offended quickly. I think that is a great sign.

H

HaoZi

Way To Go for both of them for working it out, loving your SpEd teacher, too!

T

TeDo

difficult child even looked her in the eye when he asked her a question! And it was during the first day of meeting her! She even got a couple smiles out of him. I am soooo impressed that I pray the momentum continues. I think it will work, I just need to convince difficult child that it can so I keep pointing out the "good" of both SpEd and new para. The other para has been "demoted" from 1:1 to small group supervision and homework help. She defintely is not Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) material if you know what I mean.

InsaneCdn

She defintely is not Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) material if you know what I mean.
We have an EA here who definitely doesn't work for difficult child. Whole wrong approach. Doesn't "get it" with difficult child's specific needs.
BUT... this is a good EA in the right situation - for example, this one works well with Learning Disability (LD) kids - lots of tutoring, finding different ways to explain things.

Like any other job - each needs to find their niche - and be supported in filling that niche.

So, yes - this "other one" EA probably just isn't cut out for working with Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) students...