Yet another dog question

Discussion in 'The Watercooler' started by mstang67chic, Aug 19, 2009.

  1. mstang67chic

    mstang67chic Going Green

    A few days ago I had made a pot of soup beans. For reasons I won't even get into, the little that was left, set out for a couple of days. I scraped it all out of the pot and threw it on my brush pile in the yard. Apparently, some of it fell all the way through and Chester has been munching on it. It's spoiled and probably fuzzy but he thought it was a delicacy.

    Anyway, today he's been vomiting it all up. This has been going on for a few hours although it has tapered off dramatically. When he started, it was obvious what it was and there was grass in there from where I'm assuming he'd eaten some to settle his stomach. The last time he got sick, it was mainly liquid/mucusy stuff and wasn't that much.

    So, I'm hoping it is all out of his system now. you think I should do the rice thing for him or just see how he eats on his own? He's not really acting bad...maybe a tiny bit sluggish but nothing different than you would expect for anyone or anything with an upset tummy.
  2. DammitJanet

    DammitJanet Well-Known Member Staff Member

    I think he is ok. If my dogs all got rice diets everytime they ate off the scrap pile they would eat nothing but rice! LOL. Living out here in the boonies, we tend to throw our icky yucky putrid leftover food out either next to the trees or next to the field. Invairably the dogs and cats think this is the buffet from the Hilton! They cant wait to get at it. I just lock them out after an episode because I know it will come back up and then either the dog or the cat will eat the other ones
  3. DaisyFace

    DaisyFace Love me...Love me not


    A little rice with chicken broth never hurts...

    When my dogs have an upset stomache, I usually make a whole pot of rice. The first meal is rice with broth...and after that I just add a bit of rice to their kibble until the pot is gone. Even when the dogs are not sick they enjoy the treat...
  4. AnnieO

    AnnieO Shooting from the Hip

    Feed him a few crackers. Works for our dog... And it's easier than cooking rice!!!
  5. witzend

    witzend Well-Known Member

    Pumpkin will settle the stomach as well. It has to be 100% pumpkin from the can, not pie mix.

    Just be glad it didn't come out over a period of days as gas. Bubba used to eat the compost, and you never smelled anything so bad in your life!
  6. mstang67chic

    mstang67chic Going Green

    I can't believe what this dog puts me through! LOL He's easily the smallest dog I've ever had so immediately my brain snaps into "baby" mode when I'm dealing with him. Seriously, the only times I've had dogs this size is when they were pups. I'm pathetic! LOL

    Thanks guys. This was a question I KNOW...but like I mode. He's doing fine now, I think he just needed to get it out of his system. little as he is, I was amazed that he seems to be alllll stomach! LOL
  7. mstang67chic

    mstang67chic Going Green

    Ha! On NORMAL food, that dog could kill a buzzard. It's not a regular thing but you KNOW when it hits! LOL