You are what you eat!

DammitJanet

I wanna know when they decided it was ok to put in vending machines in schools? We didnt have them when I was even in High School. I had to sneak off campus to go to either a drug store or McDonalds to get a soda or candy or chips.

flutterby

Fly away!
We had vending machines in high school and it was all the same junk food (with a few more semi-nutritional things thrown in) you find at vending machines every where else. However, they were nowhere near the cafeteria. They were in parts of the campus that were pretty much separated from the main campus.

The lunches in elementary and middle schools were nutritious. By high school, it was total junk.

Our school district lunches aren't horrible and they do incorporate all food groups, and have gotten better over the last couple of years. However, my daughter is a strict vegetarian. She packed for a while, but easily gets sick of the same foods over and over and it's hard to pack things that need to be kept cold with things that need to be kept hot. There is talk about starting a vegetarian menu, but we'll see.

In elementary school, the kids got 45 minutes for lunch and recess. It was the only recess they had all day for 1st through 4th grade, which isn't enough, in my humble opinion. In elementary school, we had recess in the morning before classes started (this was when you were dropped off at school 20-30 minutes early, instead of them opening the doors 10 minutes before school started), we had morning recess weather and time permitting, lunch recess and sometimes an afternoon recess if the teacher determined the kids needed it. Kids that age really need to exercise more and burn off their natural, age appropriate energy. I think we would have *a lot* less kids reported by teachers as "unable to stay on task",

Anyway, I had lunch at school often with my daughter and the kids had to raise their hand for the cafeteria attendant to check what the kid has eaten and let them go to recess. The kids would eat a bite or two of this and a bite or two of that and raise their hand. Only one time did I see the attendant tell a student that s/he needed to eat a bit more. So, basically the kids weren't eating. They were in such a hurry to get to recess to burn off all of that pent up energy, because by the time you went through the lunch line and ate a bit, you only had 15 minutes of recess time.