You know the saying "Be careful what you wish for..."?

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Well, I've been eagerly looking forward to the end of the school year because I am just so tired of the homework headaches and difficult child 1's health issues that impact school and I just want a break.

And NOW.... I'm starting to panic because in 8 calendar days, I will have all three home for the summer!!! :surprise:

This panic was brought on by a huge fight easy child had with difficult child 1 last night, and I'm just envisioning more of the same... God, please grant me the strength to keep everyone busy and cooperative this summer!

It all started innocently enough... the two were horsing around and laughing. You know, like "normal" siblings are known to do. But as usual with a difficult child, things changed quickly and suddenly there was an escalation and apparently difficult child 1 stuffed one of his dirty socks in easy child's mouth and then held her nose closed. I was in another room, and because I'd just heard them laughing, I wasn't going to get involved -- and frankly, I'm tired of being the referee...

So once easy child got free, she was understandably enraged and started to chase difficult child 1 (who is still laughing, so I'm thinking, they're still horsing around) into his room where she pummelled him as best an 11yo who's almost as big as her 15yo brother can do. Then she came out and started screaming at me because I "never do anything about difficult child 1!!!"

:whiteflag:

I'd love to put easy child in a day camp or some classes, but she's been very resistant to being signed up for anything. She wants complete freedom to do nothing this summer (which I think for her means watching TV and playing video games).

I'm sure I'll figure something out... right now I'm just tired and ready for a break from everyone.

tiredmommy

Wouldn't she love horse riding lessons? Then she can spend time helping at the barn? Or how about volunteering at the local animal shelter? Or reading to younger kids at the library? Or coming to NY to visit her Board Auntie TM so Duckie will be busy? We have a pool, a wii, a PS2 and Duckie has a DSi and Nano. We'd keep her real busy!

gcvmom

Here we go again!
soooooo tempting...

She's going to a two-week day camp in August. difficult child 1 will be out of the house for an entire week in July, and then three hours a day at a sports camp the rest of July. So that buys her some time away from him. The in-laws would love to have her come stay with them in Texas. But that ain't happening. Ever. OMDB.

What she'd REALLY love to do is to be one of those volunteers at PetSmart in the cat room. But you have to be 18. Sigh. We'll figure something out.

difficult child 1 is going to clean her room as his punishment today. He's very remorseful, of course. But it doesn't change the fact that he can be so horrible.

nvts

Do you have any federal/state/local parks in your area? They have a lot of free one and two day (usually 1/2 day) programs that teach kids about nature/recycling. It'll get her out of the house for a few hours - just an idea!

Beth

susiestar

Roll With It
Our Y has programs for preteens. They do 2 field trips a week to places like amusement parks and water parks, and all kinds of other activities. You don't have to do the entire summer, or even every day of a week.

As she wants to work in the cat room at the pet place, the local animal shelter should be just right for her. i don't know how old she would have to be to do it solo, but at least here if they are not old enough a parent or big bro/big sis can work with them. It is a LOT of fun. And the cat house (at least at our humane society) does not stink nearly as bad as the dog area.

Otherwise, make sure you have a master list of chores you want done. When they fight they get to do a chore. I think that is how my mom used to get so much done in the summers. As long as we got along (or fought quietly so she didn't hear us) we could do what we wanted. Fights were an immediate chore. Heck, if my mom thought we were getting too rowdy she didn't tell us to stop. she just called one of us to take out the garbage or do some other chore for her. It separated us long enough that one or the other of us got distracted. It also drove us NUTS!!! on the other hand, we did learn to fight very quietly, LOL!!!

tiredmommy

Here's a thought; I'm stealing it from a girl in Duckie's Girl Scout troop that is working on her silver award:

She has been doing fundraising with the local SPCA to raise funds to catch and spay/neuter the local feral cat population. It's a great idea because the animals are then re-released after healing if they're deemed unfit to find a home but they produce no more kittens.

Perhaps she'd be interested in something like this?

shellyd67

We joined the local pool (even though we have a pool in our backyard) just so we could keep difficult child and easy child from fighting all summer long. They both have plenty of friends in their own age group and it will be much better for me. By August I am ready to hurt someone LOL .... I hope ALL our summers go smooth .... I am sure you will find her something to keep her busy and thus less fighting will occur (hopefully)

crazymama30

I hate the "you never do anything about difficult child" saying. Drives me up and down the wall. The fighting is no good either. I don't have anything planned this summer, it is just not in the budget so we could have a very interesting summer.

Wiped Out

Staff member
I also get the, "you never do anything about difficult child". Drives me crazy because half the time easy child/difficult child has provoked him! I know you will figure things out but I can understand your worry. Honestly if difficult child didn't have camps to go to I think I would need to leave for the summer!!

M

ML

You've gotten some great suggestions. I especially like the one about chores! Good luck and I hope you find something to keep them all occupied.