You know you live in.....

mstang67chic

Going Green
You know you live in Indiana when...

You've run your heat and AC on the same day (Hey....we're neighbors of Ohio...what can I say?)

You know what detassling corn is and either you or your kids have done it.

You can talk about French Lick with a straight face.

The 4 seasons are Fall, Winter Spring and Construction

There are 92 counties in the state and 92 different system's for bad weather. (Level 1 snow alert, Code Black snow alert, etc.)

There's a festival around Johnny Appleseed's grave.

One of your most often cooked meals is smoked sausage, green beans and potatoes.

KTMom91

You know you live in Central California when...

...a dry river bed is the norm.

...when you have designated fireplace burning days.

...when the phrase "cows on the highway" is a regular part of the morning traffic reports.

...when schools have "fog delays" of several hours during the winter.

...when spring is not heralded by the blooming of pretty flowers, but by the rodeo.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Shari - don't know what to say. Too funny. Growing up we had 400+ cattle along with a hundred other critters and we knew all of their names. Shoot, today I sometimes have to think hard to remember my own name.

We have a barn cat. Guess what its name is??? "outdoor kitty". That one's original!

lol Chigger's suck

Oh, and here's a true story from the "for the record" section of the newspaper back home... (the section where they put the nutshell version of all the police activity for the week)

(at least 3 times per paper) Received a call stating Slatermeyer's cows were on the road again. Contacted Slatermeyers (again).

And (my all time fav)
report of a man with no shirt sitting in a clothes basket under the light at the intersection of Hwy 1 and Hwy 2. Officer sent to investigate.

Last edited:

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
WI:

you see a picture of a four year old kid holding (with assistance) a walleye as long as he is tall. Not only that, said kid caught it himself!

"Panfish" (crappies and bluegills) grow to sizes where they have to be cut up to fit in the pan.

Ice fishing is a secondary religion, right along with hunting. You have wild boars that are actually feral pigs (nasty things, too--though good to eat)

People forget how to drive in snow every single autumn and it'snot safe on the roads until they re-learn it.

Lutefisk is available during the Christmas season (disgusting salted cod fish soaked in LYE--the texture is akin to acrid, fish-flavored gelatin)

gcvmom

Here we go again!
You know you live in Southern California when:

Your voter Information Pamphlet is written (in this order) in English, Chinese, Korean, Spanish and Vietnamese.

You gauge freeway travel by time, not distance.

Christmas Day and New Year's weather often calls for a bathing suit and flip-flops.

You can reach the snow covered mountains, desert or beaches within two hours from any location.

Your kids can go all year without wearing a coat, and some years your umbrella doesn't see the light of day.

Coyotes can be found in practically any city, and yet lots of kids have never seen one because they're too busy inside playing video games.

Kids who live less than a mile from their school get driven to and from.

Air quality actually gets a daily rating, and some summer days it's advisable to stay inside.

Water costs as much as gasoline, and is even more scarce.

mstang67chic

Going Green
More IN...

....You learn how to play Euchre before you learn how to read. As a result, when you DO learn how to read, the alphabet is Ace b,c,d,e,f,g,h,i,jack,king,l,m,n,o,p,queen,r,s,t,u,v,w,x,y,z.

....You know what a breaded tenderloin is and every restaurant within a 100 mile radius that serves them. Also, which ones are the large thin one and which ones are the thicker ones.

....You know what farms supply popcorn to Weaver.

.....You drive by a random rural school during fall or spring and see at least a couple of tractors in the parking lot.

....Most of the boys in drivers ed in rural schools drive better than the instructor because they've been driving since they could reach the pedals.

flutterby

Fly away!
OMGosh, I've been playing euchre since before I was 7. HAHAHAHAHAHA!

More Ohio:

....you cannot have a cookout without brats.

....on a 6 lane divided highway, everyone drives in the middle lane.

....a 45 minute commute is considered too long (hey, I learned to drive and work in Atlanta)

...."Hang on Sloopy" is heard regularly on the radio and you know the words

....you know where, when, and/or have been to Red, White and Boom

....an appropriate response to another is, "I know, right?"

donna723

"You can talk about French Lick with a straight face."

'Stang, you have French Lick ... Tennessee has Only and Buck Snort! No kidding! Both are very close to where I work. And let's not forget Soddy Daisy! I would love to know where that name came from.

And we've never had a guy sitting in a laundry basket at an intersection. But we had an old man who for years and years spent all day outside waving at cars that went by! He was at least 80, probably even older, and he had a boat seat that was bolted to a guard rail on the side of the road where he would sit from sun up to sun down, smiling and waving as people drove by, greeting everyone who drove through their tiny little community. He was there when there was snow on the ground and he was there when it was in the 90's in the summer. I didn't go that way for a long time and then when I finally did he wasn't there - and there was a wreath placed in his boat seat. I cried! And isn't that a depressing little story!

everywoman

on the coast of SC when...
you know the exact dates when hurricane season begins and ends
you have seen the wind gusts of 85 miles an hour in your back yard
you see snow once every 10 years
you eat fresh oysters, shrimp, and flounder almost all year long
you have eaten and know how to cook pileau (pronounced pur low)
you have seen people actually surf on 1 foot waves
you are surrounded by ocean, rivers, and the intercoastal waterway
you have 30 plantations within 30 miles of you
your best friend lives in a house built in 1704
you have been to the Hell Hole Swamp Festival, the Grits Festival, the Crawfish Festival, the Blessing of the Fleet, the Blue Crab Festival, and the BBQ Festival
pickled eggs, pickled pigs feet, and pinrose sausages have a place on every convenient store check out counter

DammitJanet

NC has a city that beats your French Lick but now that I am a mod, I cant say it! However, Nancy's dtr doesnt live far from it...lol.

KTMom91

Back to Central CA...

...when there's a yearly debate over whether or not starting school after Labor Day will really save on air conditioning bills.

...when high school football is not just a game, it's a Friday night religion. And the 11 o'clock news programs devote more than half their programs to scores and recaps.

...when there's BBQ tri-tip and Santa Maria beans readily available.

...when you have nothing to do here in town, but you can drive three hours in any direction and find something interesting.

...when the schools fly little flags to designate air quality.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
you know where, when, and/or have been to Red, White and Boom

I've lived in Ohio 26 years and I've no clue what you're talking about. lmao!

However, I can add a few for central Illinois where I grew up........

You know you're in central Illinois when you hear a tornado siren and no one pays attention. (they wait for the freight train sound instead)

You know you're in central Illinois when you get a headwash and use wash rags.........

You know you're in central Illinois when you're town is smothered in the blue smoke of the factory processing soy beans and the smell alone can knock you off your feet.

In central Illinois they also call it breakfast, dinner, and supper.

Some common meals........ soup beans (ham and beans).....fried potatoes 'n onions, mac and cheese, and sweet rice. (all at the same meal)

These are too funny! LMAO!

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
First time I ever had grits was in TN. I was thrilled to see 'Cream of Wheat' on the breakfast bar.

husband tells me that my expression when I put the first spoonful in my mouth was priceless, LoL.

Now, I actually like them, with butter, salt, and maybe some cheese mixed in. I understand they are very good with shrimp as well, but it's not worth the real risk of dieing if I try some (allergic to shellfish AND mollusks--if it don't have fins, I ain't eatin' it!)

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
OMG! I love Cream o' Wheat!!! I have 3 boxes in the cabinet. lol husband thinks I eat it just to make him cringe. :rofl:

donna723

"(they actually had signs up yesterday - USE CAUTION - POTHOLES LOL!)"

Heather, while they were out there putting up the sign, why didn't they just fill up the pot hole while they were there?

ThreeShadows

Quid me anxia?
Haven't lived in Maryland long enough to do this, but....

You know you're from Maine when your cousins from Brooklyn drive to your house belly laughing because of all the delis selling "hot Italians",

when you read the police logs and recognize all the names because your run away gfgf has been couch surfing in their subsidized housing,

when you call 4 inches of snow a "dusting",

when your kids and their friends dig up the basement in your early 19th. century house, come up with a jaw bone and you actually know a forensic pathologist who can determine if it's human or not,

when you call the basement “downcellah”,

when all the lakes are covered in yellow dust in May and you know it's not terrorism, just pine pollen,

when your house converts to a B&B every July and August for people from "away" that you happen to know, but they ignore your existence when you really need them during the 6 mos. of winter,

when you’ve ditched the car on the side of the road somewhere because you thought you saw some good fiddleheads,

when you've ditched the car because your kids are freaking 'cause you just killed a ruffed grouse and you have to go apologize to the critter to finalize the event,

when you go to the town dump and bring back more than you brought,

when you’re supposed to dress up, you wear flannel with a tie,

when the only traffic light in town blinks amber at 10PM,

when you've been to your insurance office after killing a yearling moose on the T'pike and nobody blinks an eye because they all know truckers whose 10,000lbs loads were destroyed by 1,000lbs moose,

when you know the plural of moose IS moose,

This was fun! I think I actually miss the old place!!!

flutterby

Fly away!
"(they actually had signs up yesterday - USE CAUTION - POTHOLES LOL!)"

Heather, while they were out there putting up the sign, why didn't they just fill up the pot hole while they were there?

Cause it's not just one. It gets really cold, then it warms up and potholes open up all over the place and before they can fill them all, it gets too cold again. Serious potholes that will take out your tires.