You know you live with Autism when...(in honor of World Autism Day)

flutterby

Fly away!
When the food on the plate cannot touch and each grouping requires its own utensil.

When all hangers have to match and clothes have to be hung in a certain order that requires a manual and anything out of place results in a meltdown, but if I were to drop my keys on the floor she would step over them and not even see them.

When you use such exaggerated tone and body language to convey that you are joking or being sarcastic that you hurt yourself.

buddy

So funny. I didn't even really realize it, but I end comments with....that's sarcasm, that's serious, or that's just a joke.

L

Liahona

When the first thing out of your mouth when difficult child says someone is being mean and not playing with him is do they know you want to play. And the next thing is go say to them "I want to play too" and make sure they can see you when you say it.

When teaching social skills comes so natural you wonder why the other moms don't do it.

When your proud of your son having 1 friend.

when you brag that your kid learned the word no, and the other parents think you are nuts. (Hey, we worked hard on that word!)

When yogurt is best eaten between the toes.

when you start diagnosis other people as Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD).

when instead of being annoyed at the screaming child in the store you are just glad its not yours.

when you have to call your landlord to ask what kind of paint is on your walls because difficult child has been eating it.

When you have poison control on speed dial.

When your kid talking to/ playing with another kid can make you tear up.

When all your chairs have teeth marks on them.

nerfherder

When you have poison control on speed dial.

When Kiddo ate most of a bottle of children's vitamins about 4 years ago, after I finished yelling at Kiddo, Housemate RN handed me the bottle, I called Poison Control, and automatically went into the "I have a 14 year old autistic girl, 5'3" and 125 lbs, who ate 2/3 of a bottle of Kirkland brand iron-free children's vitamins, 300 count (or something like that), over the course of the last day and a half. She is showing no signs of distress or illness, and I want to know what the possible toxicity effects are."

RN looked at me, jaw-dropped at my professional tone and succinct delivery of the information. When I got off the phone (possible tummy upset, no toxic effects, don't give her any vitamins for at least two weeks) she said "You did that very well." I smiled. "I've had LOTS of practice."

I also used to keep the local Search & Rescue card, and weekly refresh a small zip-lock bag of worn socks and undergarments just in case - she was a runner for many years.

buddy

I can relate to so many of these. I only just recently stopped keeping a packed bag with clothes and my computer for ER trips.

Qs bed has teeth marks all around.

I was pretty sure poison control had my number on speed dial for a while

I cried the first time i saw q take turns at the top of a slide. But usually was mentally rehearsing my speech for when the next parent came up and asked "is that YOUR son?"

HaoZi

CD Hall of Fame
When you're still cutting her waffles into exact segments for her after puberty.

When she informs you that the fish need to be turned on and fed - even though she's standing next to the fish and perfectly capable of doing it herself. When told that she is closer and can do it, she will quickly siddle away and tell you that no, she is no longer closer and it's now up to you.

When you have scars from claw marks on your arms from trying to get her into the shower and are surprised you don't have matching scars from bitemarks.

When you're proud she has finally learned to shower on her own - at age 11. Not that she always *will*, but that she finally *can*.

When you don't have to spell your child's unusual name to police dispatch when you call them. Again. (also fits well in the "You know you have a difficult child when..." thread)

:smile: