You Know You're a Bookaholic When...

mstang67chic

Going Green
You Know You're a Bookaholic When...

You've figured out a way to read books in the shower without getting your book wet.

Looking at your 1000+ books in your TBR pile and thinking, "I have nothing to read!"

You haunt the bookstores waiting for that new release, and the clerks ask you if you'd like to set up a tent.

You pack all your books for a trip but forget your underwear.

You're packing for a romantic weekend away with significant other and you give more thought to which
books to take than to which nightgown is your sexiest.

The library borrows books from you.

Before you buy a purse you make sure a paperback will fit inside.

You have a purse that fits one hardback, two paperbacks, and a reserve book (just in case something happens to the other three).

You become murderous when you discover a friend lost a book you loaned her.

You put Hershey's Chocolate syrup on your sandwich instead of mustard because you're engrossed in a book.

You had your books organized via Dewey Decimal System when you were in grade school.

You put vanilla in the spaghetti sauce because you're reading at the stove.

Your twin sons' names are Rhett and Ashley.

Your significant other mutters about life in prison not being much of a deterrent to you since you'd be quite content sitting in your cell reading all day.

You look forward to jury duty because you'll have all that waiting time to read.

You call in sick so you can finish reading a book.

You can't pass a bookstore without stopping.

You volunteer to go grocery shopping because there's a bookstore next door.

When visiting a strange town the first thing you do is check the yellow pages for the location of the bookstores.

When you move you have more boxes labeled "books" than anything else.

The first thing anyone says when they enter your house is "have you actually read all those books?"

You plan a day of shopping around all the bookstores you want to visit.

You travel 100 miles to get good books.

You have to constantly invest in new bookshelves.

You have a path because all the books are everywhere.

Your kids holler from the other room with something they consider a dire emergency, and you say, "Wait until I finish this page." (This one particular resonates with me for some reason...lol)

You have no idea what's on television anymore (except for Highlander) because the boob tube has become just another piece of furniture.

You tend to buy frozen, microwavable foods that practically cook themselves so that you don't lose any precious reading time for such an unimportant thing as feeding your family.

You valiantly try to teach your kids "independence, " which means you want them to do more household chores (so you can have more reading time).

Your car is broke down, and it doesn't really matter because your favorite bookstore is right across the street.

You're sitting in the bathroom at 1:30 a.m., crying over the ending of your current read, when you know you have to be up at six to drive 150 miles and spend the day on your feet before driving back.

You read at red lights and get honked at because you were so engrossed that you didn't notice the light had turned green.

It's 2am and you think "just another chapter" and do the same thing at 3am when you know you have to get up in 4 hours and work.

You deliberately get to the bus/train station early, or even worse, just miss the bus/train so that you have more reading time.

You start to take several baths during the day because you read in the tub and your kids know this is "private time".

Your significant other runs into the room to make sure you're alright because he heard you wailing so hard over a sad read he thought you were dying.

You try reading and walking at the same time.

You don't really mind if you get stranded anywhere as long as you have enough books while you're there.

You start haunting your mail box when you're waiting for a new book to arrive and can't do anything useful until the mail has arrived.

You start fabricating excuses as to why you can't go out with your friends when you're in the middle of a great book.

You dash out and sit in the park and read during your lunch hour (or sneak in a few chapters at your desk).

You start thinking of the characters as real people.

You can always find some money to buy another book even if you can't afford to buy anything else. When you get desperate you raid the local library.

You leave the country in order to find more books to buy.

Your eyesight goes from 20-20 to legally blind because of reading in poor light.

You miss your stop on the train because you have to finish your current read.

You have to be paged at the local bookstore because your significant other has lost all track of you.

You get a friend or relative hooked on romance so you'll have another place to get books, but unfortunately it doesn't work quite right and they start borrowing from you.

You start up conversations with people in the bookstore who just look like they're dying to read a good romance but are having a hard time finding one.

When you keep a spare book or two in your desk at work, just in case you forget yours at home.

You panic when you only see ten new books out on the shelves at your local bookstore when you know it should be at least twenty.

Scouring the papers for any library booksales or garage sales with 'books' in the text.

:reading:

F

flutterbee

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You have no idea what's on television anymore (except for Highlander) because the boob tube has become just another piece of furniture. </div></div>

Well, this in itself is a sign because Highlander hasn't been on for years! :rofl:

I love everything about books...the way they smell and feel. I know...weird. I try to be careful not to break the binding when I read. I hate loaning out a book only to get it back all bent and creased.

mstang67chic

Going Green
You know how people will walk into a bakery or even someplace like Wilson's Leather and take a deep breath to enjoy the smell? I do that at Barnes & Noble. One of these days I'm going to save up at least $500 and go on a rampage at B&N or Borders.

F

flutterbee

I know what you mean. They smell so good and I just have to touch them.

I also love going to barnesandnoble.com and looking at the out of print books that you can buy used.

meowbunny

Yup, have read past my stop many a times. Was once an hour late to work cause I read through 5 stops! That was not a lot of fun to explain to my boss.

TV is just background noise to anything I'm reading. I can almost hear my daughter talking or screaming in pain when I'm in the middle of a good book. I have no room for hardback books -- my bookcases are double stacked in paperbacks. Before I moved, I gave away 12 boxes of books. There were tears in my eyes as they left.

Nope, I don't read too much. Never have, never will.

muttmeister

Your list would be really funny if so many of them didn't apply to me. Just last night the dogs both came running to see what was the matter with me because I was reading something funny and I was laughing so hard they were worried about me.

Penta

Buying books is a luxury for me, but I feel so overjoyed at the library...I am as happy as a clam when I come home from the library with a pile of books to read. Reading is one of my greatest pleasures.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
I will stand up and say, "I, JoG, am a bookaholic" for sure. Almost each and every one of those applied to me! I have a stack of 10 books I picked up at the library book fair that I'm flying through right now. And I just posted a bunch on craigslist to sell...so I can buy more!

mrscatinthehat

Seussical
I resemble that list. I have to admit I named my easy child after reading the thornbirds. Ummmmm I am also still organizing my new books from our library sale. I put them in my database in my computer. I had the computer with me so I could make sure I didn't double up. When you have over 2000 books you have to be careful. I have also been known to chew out friends when I see them I shudder to even type it... throw away books. People know that I take in wayward books. I have a spare in the car (we drive a lot) and I am staring at a bunch. My heart just glows because of books. Ok well ya got me started now look what happened.

Beth

Pam R

I also resmeble that list. :rofl:

And I also have several thousand books here. Building bookcases is husband 3rd job (after building fishing rods to make money to go fishing and fixing computers so we can eat).

Mine are not filed by Dewey, but I have kept like types together (biographies, humor, etc.) And I do keep files (now running to many volumes) of all of them as I buy at tag sales and library book sales and can't afford to buy duplicates.

DS keeps saying I should put them on an electronic gadget, but I have a horror of it failing. At least a notebook won't fail.

It's gotten to the point that we don't find as many books at sales any more because we already have so many. Used to come home with 50-70 books, now lucky to find 20 between the 3 of us. (We are all readers here. No TV for 25 yrs.)

Long live all of us bookworms. :bravo:

Pam R.

fedup

Okay, how many of you have 40 or more books in your office that are personal reading materials?

Yesterday, my husband thought he was being thoughtful by giving me the special for BAMM this week. It made me kind of sad, because I'm more or less broke, books are coming out and the special is 25% off anything you can fit in the bag. Darn, I'm still debating on emptying my savings account to restock. I only have 2 books left at home that I haven't read, and 15 at work! Guess where I spend more time!

Today, I mailed a package to my daughter. She just caught the reading bug about 3 years ago. Now, after I read, I ssend some to her. But, she made me promise never to send a box with 60 Romances in it again! And it only took her acouple of months to get through them all!

We are a family of readers. Right now, there are at least 5 boxes of Romance stacked as I have read them, and the front of my roll top desk is piled with the ones I've read in the past two or three months. I've got to remember to bring a box from work.

I can think of at least 10 fairly full bookcases in our house- and that doesn't include the library!

You know you're a bookaholic when...

... you get the reading list for your lit class and say, "Is this all?"*

... you are three novels and a short story ahead of everyone else in your lit class.*

... you are caught somewhere without a book and begin reading the nutrition information off of ketchup packets.*

... you have enough rewards points from your bookstore account to take a one-month trip to Tahiti.

... you take a one-month trip to Tahiti and spend the whole time reading.

... you frequently wake up in your favorite easy chair, with the reading lamp still on and your latest read open on your chest.*

... all you get for your birthday is bookmarks, clip-on reading lights, and bookstore gift certificates. Nobody buys you an actual book because you've probably already read it.

... you dream about characters in books you've read.*

... you think 350 pages is too short.*

... you finish a book and don't have another one handy so you immediately turn back to page one and start over.*

... you refuse, on principle, to read the Reader's Digest Condensed version.

... you estimate dimensions, volumes, and weights in units of "paperbacks".

... you can drive to the bookstore or library in your sleep.

... your whole day is ruined because you planned a trip to the library and then you remember they're closed on Columbus Day.*

... your role models are fictional characters.

... you read your first-grader's "I Can Read It All By Myself" series while she's playing at a friend's house.*

*Guilty.

Wiped Out

Staff member
I love this list!!! I'm heading to book club tomorrow and might have to print this out!! I am a bookaholic at times-during the summer and breaks much more so than during the school year! :reading:

TerryJ2

Oh, I have to join this club, LOL!

Darn, I'm still debating on emptying my savings account to restock.

That sounds soooo familiar. Books and chocolate ... oooohhhh

Marguerite

Oh yeah, that's us!

You know how for some families, getting the kids out of the toy store is really difficult? All I have to do is tell them we're going to the bookstore. Getting the kids out of THERE is a nightmare!

Our bookshelves line the walls. On the shelves the books are stacked two deep and more. The bedhead is covered with books, stacked halfway to the ceiling (no higher, because the slightest movement of the bed and they fall - can't risk injuring a book!)

We have cupboards full of books. We have tables covered with books and magazines. The boys' bedroom is stacked with books and magazines several feet high. The kids are amassing their own book collections. We have bookplates for borrowing WITHIN the family! Wedesign bookplates for friends and extended family (husband designed some bookplates for our niece who's a LOTR fan - it's got a picture of Golem clutching something to his chest and saying, "Return this book - it's OUR precious and we wants it back!"

Marg