Your bigggest pet peeves

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
If I start, I will never stop.

So I will leave it with this one item that pretty much encompasses most of it...

The Broom Closet and their inherent behaviors.

klmno

In no particular order:

People who work in position of servicing others (bank teller or cashier, for instance) and make me stand there waiting for them to end their chatty conversation with another employee or end their personal call on the phone

People who interrupt me to finish my sentence- and that was NOT what I was about to say

People who ASSUME things about me and tell others that it's true, without ever even asking me about the issue

When a sentence is started with "Don't you think .... ABC"

Arrogance.

Oh- how could I ever forget this one-
When people try to chastise or punish or demand depression, anxiety, or familial tremors to go away

Last edited:

Lothlorien

The cell phone thing drives me nuts too. Why do you need to talk on the phone while you are at dinner with your family? Why do you need to talk on the phone, in a public bathroom, while doing, well, you know? Why do you need to Facebook while you are eating dinner?

One more thing.....Spitting in public. There is nothing more disgusting than seeing someone hock a loogey and spit on the ground right where you are about to walk. Teens are worse, but when I see older men do it, I want to just smack them.

susiestar

Roll With It
Janet I am not talking about the Disney Princess shirts. I am bothered by the shirts that just say "PRINCESS" or "ADORABLE" or whatever. NO matter how cute or adorable or princess-like a child is they should not go around proclaiming it on their bodies. It seems like bragging and setting a small child up with a sense of entitlement. While I often called Jessie "Princess" when talking, she NEVER was able to tell others she is a princess. I see a LOT of little girls (toddler age to preteen) who will flat out tell you they are adorable or cute or precious or princess and so should be exempt from chores, rules, etc... because parents started with shirts teaching the child she was better than others.

I just have come across a LOT of it in school here (thank you's school) and it bugs the crud out of me.

We always stressed to Jess that seh was a "strong smart girl" rather than cute or pretty or whatever. She got those compliments, but they were not stressed.

I wouldn't have a problem with the shirts if they were on kids with-o the attitude or if the parents didn't have teh attitude.

Sorry if that is a problem for others. It just bugs me.

Oh - people who **** loudly on their teeth. My dad drives us all batty with that. Esp because he does it with-his mouth open. He doesn't even have dentures to explain this behavior!

Oh - older men who paint their scalps to avoid looking bald. Or young men with full heads of hair who get "comb overs" from the barber. The one real barber in our town seems to always put the part one INCH above your ear - no matter what. My dad took thank you for a haircut there when he was 5. thank you came home with a COMB OVER!!! I was floored. Had to take him somewhere else the next day to fix it.

I think I am probably the Board Curmudgeon, so no one else needs to worry about that!

trinityroyal

The one real barber in our town seems to always put the part one INCH above your ear - no matter what. My dad took thank you for a haircut there when he was 5. thank you came home with a COMB OVER!!! I was floored. Had to take him somewhere else the next day to fix it.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

BusynMember

I have some more I thought of while I was out today;)

1/People who don't wash their hands in a public restroom...ewwwwwww

2/The newfangled faucets that you have to guess how to use (do you wave your hand underneath it, rub your hands underneath it, just turn the dang things...?

3/People who's cars pass you up by 20 mph when you ARE driving the speed limit, then turn around to give you the middle finger salute

4/ Reality shows

5/Unfunny stand-up comedians

6/Kids in cars who blast their radio so loud that the car dances with the beat. (Worse, non-kids who do it).

7/ Old men in hot cars with young blonds who really believe it's charming ole HIM she loves and not his money ;)

8/Too much attention paid to non-important people such as entertainers (like who cares about Tom and his latest squeeze?) Who Rosanne Barr recently beat up? Is she even still around? I avoid news about celebrities.

9/People who crack their knuckles

10/I'm ok with whistling, but it gets on my last nerve when somebody has a pair of bad dentures and they whistle through their teeth when they speak. I know it's not their fault, and I feel guilty about it, but I don't even want to talk to somebody who does that. It makes me cringe.

11/I get on my nerves a lot. I'm my own pet peeve ;)

Lothlorien

MWM...I am so there with you on #1 and #6.

I don't live too far from a main road, but it's a really quiet neighborhood. I'll be sitting here, quietly working and suddenly my windows are vibrating from some kid's car. It's like someone just zapped me with a taser gun...I just stiffen right up.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
MWM - I had a good laugh... I am one of those non-kids who turn their stereo up - but usually only on the highway. Not in the city!

I also got a good laugh as my 62-year-old Dad has a 1960 Austin Healey Sprite and takes me for rides occasionally. And that would make me the young blonde! (But in my case, it IS him I love...)

SRL

Cell phones!

People who think I need to listen to their private conversations while sitting in the waiting room, the bookstore cafe, while using the computers at the library, etc. It takes all the control I have to avoid serious cell phone rage.

And it irks me to no end to see people talking through an entire transaction in the checkout lane. It's just so rude.

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
It's a good thing I don't live near many of you. It's gotten worse since I quit smoking but I'm absolutely OBNOXIOUS with gum. I pop, snap, blow huge bubbles until they pop, and chew so loudly that it's a darn good thing I have my own office. And when I'm working on a project or under a lot of stress you can bet I'm doing all of it double-time. :rofl:

That said.............I can't believe I'm the only one whose #1 pet peeve is people who make noise/talk in movie/play theaters! I stopped going to theaters for the longest time because it made me nuts. Now I go to the 11:00am show where there are only 6 of us in the theater and I can sit by myself undisturbed. :D

Suz

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
I can't believe I'm the only one whose #1 pet peeve is people who make noise/talk in movie/play theaters! I stopped going to theaters for the longest time because it made me nuts. Now I go to the 11:00am show where there are only 6 of us in the theater and I can sit by myself undisturbed. :D Suz

No, no, I hate that too too! That is why I also enjoy matinee's at odd hours so I can skip the crowds....I hate people who talk during the movie. My mom did it our entire lives and it drove us all crazy!! What is sad now is that she doesn't anymore because she has to pay such close attention so she can remember the story-lines. Hahaha.

Last edited:

Fran

Former desparate mom
Suz, I haven't been to a movie in a long time but I agree with you.

I admit to being on the cell phone a lot of the time. Not movies, doctors. offices or anywhere that shouldn't be interrupted. I can't say I care too much what other's think about answering while I'm in the grocery line. LOL. I try to be thoughtful but if I'm waiting for a call and need to answer I will. Whole point of having a cell.

It's a good thing we all have different peeves.

Andy

What a popular thread this is today.

Not in rating order:

#1. Open cabinets - Can't stand walking into the kitchen and atleast 3 cabinet doors are open!

#2. People not washing their hands before leaving a restroom. I just don't understand how their hands can't feel icky.

#3. People who can not count up to the number of items limited in a fast check out.

#4. Waiting to see the doctor. I have walked out of doctor offices if not seen in 15 to 20 minutes of scheduled time - My time is important - I do have a life with lots of other appointments and refuse to be late for the next one because this one built the schedule too tight (probably because someone came 30 minutes late to an appointment and instead of turning them away they took them in!) The agreed upon time is for both of us, not just the "professional".

#5. Gossip - people learn fast that I will have none of it.

#6. Having only coffee and water served at church events and being looked down on because I will bring in my own beveridge (usually pop). Hey, if you are not going to serve something I can drink, let me take care of myself - not fair I have to have warm water just because I don't like coffee.

#7. Women in the church kitchen not accepting cookies for funerals and other church servings. It is so much easier to hand your child a cookie than a piece of cake. These same ladies are the loudest complainers of crumbs on the floor. And when I hear, "Oh, the family only wants cake!" Give me a break - No family is going to say that! - but then again, if we start taking care of the kids at church, more will start showing up and we can't have kids running around! (another pet peeve)

#8. People leaving the copy machine jammed or out of paper. I think it is usually people who are not even thinking. I found an empty copy machine at church and when I filled it, out comes about 20 of 50 sheets a group made before leaving for a performance. They went 20 short because they thought the copies were fininshed. Never thought to wonder why the huge red light was flashing at them.

#9. People who borrow office equipment (stapler, stapler remover, pens, ect) without returning them. I work at an open desk and lock up my stapler and remover and special pens and everything when not there. The old stapler I put out for the copy machine next to my desk disappeared for two weeks. I think I will put a lable on it so it finds its way home. I have noticed the staple remover I put out for everyone's use is also gone.

SRL

I admit to being on the cell phone a lot of the time. Not movies, doctors. offices or anywhere that shouldn't be interrupted. I can't say I care too much what other's think about answering while I'm in the grocery line. LOL. I try to be thoughtful but if I'm waiting for a call and need to answer I will. Whole point of having a cell.

It's a good thing we all have different peeves.

That's for sure. :peaceful:

What bugs me about the check-out lane (in addition to me not wanting to listen to your call home ;-)) is that it puts the importance of the electronic interaction ahead of the personal, face-to-face interaction. Several times I've seen people walk through the check-out while talking the entire time and never once acknowledging the check-out clerk. To me it just seems rude. Of course I think it's equally rude when the clerk spends the entire time talking on the phone when they're supposed to be checking me out. That's happened to me before.

There's a sign up at the receptionist's desk of my allergist's office saying that they won't be assisted by the receptionist if they're talking on the phone. Receptionist told me it's become a problem.

Time's are changing, that's for sure. This will probably all be the norm someday...I have visions of WALL-E...:D

flutterby

Fly away!
1) Cell phones and texting. Cell phones while driving - every time someone cuts me off, I look over to see the person on their phone, completely unaware that they nearly side-swiped me. Talking on the cell phone in very public places. And the worst - people answering their cellphone while you're talking to them. No, "I have to take this call"; just answer the phone while you're mid-sentence.

Texting. That one will send me over the edge. What can you possible have to talk about every minute of every day? I have told easy child that I don't care if he pays for his phone, I will take it away if he's texting while I'm talking to him. Oh, and it's not, "Who are you texting with?". It's, "Who are you texting?" Like I care.

2) Sites like Twitter. I really have no interest in knowing what *anyone* is doing every minute of everyday.

3) Narccissisim. See Texting and Twitter above.

4) Insensitive dog owners. I'm *really* getting tired of my neighbors two large Airedales jumping all over me when I go to take my dog out. They've snagged my wool sweater beyond repair, scratched my neck and knocked me over. I don't know the owners, but I know the dogs' names and can tell them apart. That's because I hear them being called - repeatedly - every. single. day. Invest in a fence. Or a tie out for when they're outside. Or even come get your dogs when they're jumping all over me instead of going back inside your house. :mad:

5) "Reality" shows

6) Greed

7) People talking so freely about their...ummm...private lives. I really don't need the details. Or the visual. Really.

8) Having my personal space invaded. Arms length, people.

9) Ostrich parents - get your head out of the sand and help your kid.

10) Car trouble

11) Class-Action lawsuits. Granted, some are warranted. But, I really don't care that Kia accidentally misstated the horsepower for my car. Who buys a Kia for the horsepower anyway? Huge waste of the court's time. Also, see #6.

I'll stop here. :D

susiestar

Roll With It
The not handwashing after restroom using creeps me out. If I am in a store and see an employee not wash hands I report them to the manager. I will even refuse to purchase things if that person is the only cashier. I don't want them touching anything I take home!

People who work in fast food drive throughs who handle money then handle food. Money is dirtier than the toilet bowl of a public restroom! So cashiers should NEVER handle food until they have washed their hands!!! Basic sanitation rule = and required by most boards of health.

People on cell phones. I don't mind if they are walking next to me in a store or even in a check out lane if they are paying attention to what they need to be doing at the same time. But exSIL will answer her cell and have LONG talks or even loud FIGHTS while sitting across from you at a restaurant - or even at the table during holiday dinners! I have always been appalled by that. And if we say anything then she gets furious because WE are being rude!

People who bring young kids to R rated or violent movies. esp if they will not make their kids behave. Recently I was at one movie and a woman got up and MOVED away from her own kids because the kids would not stop talking loudly and laughing on their phones and to each other. She did not even TRY to stop them - just moved away from them. The theater was not crowded, but it is NO excuse. I went and asked the manager to deal with them. He made them and their mom leave. Mom stood in the aisle and argued until he told an usher to call the police. She was SCREAMING at him that she shouldn't have to leave because seh was being quiet (ROFL!) All of the rest of us got vouchers for a free movie because we complained. But it was AWFUL.

I get peeved when I order something in a restaurant and ask to have something added or left off and it comes out wrong. Not if the server is polite about the error and has it fixed, but if the server acts like I am a bother or she can't be bothered to come over when I try to tell about the problem. I am a GOOD tipper but NOT if I have a problem like this.

When people have bad service and will not politely let the manager know. Or if they hae really good service and will not let the manager know. You don't have to be rude to complain or to compliment. If you don't let the manager know what is going on then HOW can they make sure it doesn't happen again??

I hate when you buy something thinking it is fine and then discover it is almost out of date. Especially dairy stuff!

susiequte

People who clip their fingernails during church!!! Having to watch fingernails fly around the room is just gross.....the sound of the clippers is enough to make me mad.

People who go to the store and leave the dog/cat in the car. Even if the windows are down a little it's just wrong!!! I leave nasty notes for these people under their windshield wipers.

People who take the whole damn family to Wal-mart.........everyone is dressed except for the baby who is in a diaper with a drippy green nose .............and it's 40 below outside.

This is just a start!!