your childhood favorites

amazeofgrace

A maze of Grace - that about sums it up
OK girls I am going nuts here with difficult child I and it is 90 degress to boot. I need a distraction, what were your favorites from childhood?

Favorite:
Toy(s) - Barbie and her townhouse, Whoopsie doll, Star wars action figures, hotwheels, my big wheel, Holly Hobbie general Store colorforms, smurfs

Food - Jiffy Pop, Dixie cup ice cream, Watermelon, chinese food (my parents never would buy it so it was a real treat!)

Candy - all those weird gums that were in the shape of food, Pop Rocks, M & M's, candy necklaces

TV shows - Magic Garden, Voltron, Smurfs, The Donny and Marie show, Captain Kangaroo, The bugaboos

Stars - Donnie and Marie, Neil Diamond (I was a weird kid), Mark Hamill (I was in love with Luke Skywalker)

Books - Little house on the Prairie books, Tim and Jan books, Madeline
The one toy you wanted but never got - Holly Hobbie Oven
* feel free to add :O)

fears - spiders, catepillars and sparklers (I am still terrifed of these things!):sheepish:

Sara PA

Thunderstorms when the electricity would go out. (Much more common in the 50's than now). Mom would pop popcorn -- we had a gas stove -- and make lemonade. Everyone in the neighborhood would sit on their front porches until the electricity came back on.

Toys: Paper dolls. Roller skates (the kind with a skate key), hula hoop

Food: Asparagus, pork chops, corn on the cob, cantaloupe. Ice cream, always ice cream. No fast food in those days, at least not around here. But we could go to the sandwich shops for Italian sandwiches and cheese steaks.

Candy: Good and Plenty, frozen Snickers

Stars: Perry Como and Frank Sinatra. (Hey, the 50's were a long time ago) My favorite baseball player was Roy Campenella.

TV shows: We didn't have a TV until I was 5. After that, Mickey Mouse Club was a favorite. And a whole bunch of westerns -- Maverick, Sugarfoot, Cheyenne, The Rebel, Tombstone Territory...

Books: Our library had a series of biographies on famous people. There must have been 50 of them. Dr. Seuss.

The one toy you wanted but never got: Bicycle.... and carry the resentment to this day

Fears: Mice, bugs, the usual. Nothing big.

F

flutterbee

Toys - Hot Wheels, Big Wheel, kitchen set, hula hoop, baton, coloring book and crayons - and later, Atari

Food - Peanut butter and jelly, grilled cheese, applesauce, spaghetti

Candy - M&M's, Lik M'aid (that stuff that is pure sugar)

TV Shows - Captain Kangaroo, Dukes of Hazard, and this variety show that had amateur talent on it (I wanted to be on that show so bad - don't remember the name of it)

Stars - Rick Springfield, Olivia Newton John

Books - Where the Red Fern Grows

I can't think of anything I wanted super bad, but didn't get. I do remember that one year all I wanted was a baton for Christmas and I didn't get it. I was sooo bummed. I ended up getting one later. I also didn't play with many toys. I played outside all the time...riding bikes, playing baseball, kickball, football, sledding in the winter.

Fears - Thunderstorms, bugs, spiders

Sara PA

Yeah, we didn't have a lot of toys back in the day. You played outside. Girls had dolls and we had board games for rainy days or when we were sick. That's about it. The Easy Bake Oven was the first name toy I can remember. I didn't have a Barbie, she wasn't invented yet. I did have two Little Miss Revlon dolls and a Miss Revlon doll. Still do, for that matter.

Andy

Toys: I don't remember much of being very little - having a twin sister, I think we did a lot of imaginary play without much for actual toys.

As I grew older, Badmitten, sledding, playing in a swamp

Food: Sloppy Joes with plain chips

Candy: Cigarette sticks (they make them now but they are called candy sticks - I am sure they were called cigarette sticks back then?)

TV Shows: Star Trek, Love Boat, Bionic Woman, etc. When really young: Lawrence Welk and Walt Disney

Stars: Just the ones in the sky

Books: Donna Parker, Tale of Two Cities, Three Muskateers

Fears: Elevators - though there were none in our town or nearby so I as able to avoid them. I was never afraid of anything for myself - however, I was an endless worry wart for my sisters.

I never remember even asking for anything for birthday or Christmas - we just were happy with what we got and didn't know if we were missing out on anything.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Toys: My swing set horse, my Roy Rogers Pearl handled pistol replicas, Barbies

Food: Meatloaf, mashed potatoes, corn on the cob.

Candy: Pnut M& M's and Paydays until dad got some at a discount store and I ate a maggot in one. Also candy cigars

TV Shows: The Lone Ranger, ANYTHING with Fred Astaire - I was going to marry him. MASH, The Brady Bunch - MARSHA MARSHA MARSHA, and Laugh in

Stars: The belt of Orion and Sirius the Dog Star

Books: Wheels, Alex Haley, Anything about monsters

Fears: Being left, and claustrophobia - I played with snakes and spiders and all sorts of woodsy things.

Favorite Color: Black

Favorite Number: 7

Favorite Animal: Donkey and my Dog

Favorite Place in the world: The woods

Favorite Flower: Tiger Lily

Favorite Day: Wednesday

Favorite Role Model: Rosa Parks

Favorite Athlete: Nadia Komenechi

Favorite Car: 64 Chevy Impala

Favorite Tree: Sycamore

mom_in_training

OK girls I am going nuts here with difficult child I and it is 90 degress to boot. I need a distraction, what were your favorites from childhood?

Favorite:
Toy(s) - My easy bake oven, Barbie, Christy doll. And my big doll head, The one that you could style the hair. My first bike.

Food - Pears, Popcorn, Ice cream cones, Potato pancakes, Favorite of all time was the holiday turkey and trimmings. Yum!!

Candy - My moms awesome candied apples, Candy necklace, Easter chocolate bunnies, Cotton candy.

TV shows - Sunny and Cher, Donny and Marie, My favorite martian.

Stars - My parents knew a few but I do not recall who they were, Sad, Huh? (I was toooo lil) Used to hang out in Hollywood sometimes with my parents and these people. Lol!! I remember I used to have a huge crush on Bobby Sherman. Oh and I do have some black and white pics of my dad with Roy Rodgers and his wife when my dad was like 18 years old.

Books - Anything to do with puppies and Kittens.
The one toy you wanted but never got - Another easy bake oven when the one I had wore out. Lol!!
* feel free to add :O)

Abbey

Spork Queen
How about Jarts? I'm surprised to this day that I didn't shoot some kid through the chest. We played that all the time!!

(I won't talk about the time I hit a friend in the head with a dart while my mom was playing cards upstairs.)

Abbey

DammitJanet

Toys: My rope swing, my jungle gym, my dolls, and something that I cant remember the name of...they were like little Barbies but maybe called Twiddles? I played with them much younger and they didnt have clothes you took off them. I had a doll house that I used with them too that was metal. I adored them...lol. Wish I had saved them.
Food: BBQ beef cubes and rice, Hanover tomatoes, peaches, porterhouse steaks

Candy: Candy cigarettes, candy necklaces, mallow cups, twizzlers

TV Shows: A Family Affair, Courtship of Eddies Father, Partridge Family, Brady Bunch

Stars: DAVID CASSIDY!!!!!

Books: I was in love with the whole Trixie Belden series very early, then the Nancy Drew, Misty of chincatigue, Bridey of the grand canyon, and then the Judy Blume series.

Fears: I had a ton of fears....cant remember them all.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
We were dirt poor. Eating out was a rare event that ranked right up there with xmas. lol If it wasn't freezing outside or raining, that's where we'd be. So we never had many toys and such either. I spent most of my time at grandma's and she didn't own a tv.

Favorite:
Toy(s) - The Wild West dolls, Barbies, and my doll. I never had many toys.

Food - fried chicken, chocolate pudding, watermelon, fresh green beans, and corn on the cob with oodles of butter.

Candy - cotton candy, candy buttons, candy necklaces

TV shows - Red Skelton, I Love Lucy, Quincy (I was a bit off even then lol) Oh, and all the cartoons!

Stars - Neil Diamond -- Amazed, I was so bad I can still recite all of the lyrics to his songs. And I can still identify a Neil Diamond song within the first few notes. Nice to know someone else liked him as a kid. lol

Books - James and the Giant Peach, Charolette's Web, The Wednesday Witch

Fears - Oh, my! Many. I was afraid of most anything as a child. Except animals. I had an uncanny (almost spooky) way with animals as a child. Still do to some extent. Nichole and Aubrey get that from me.

tinamarie1

Toys: My barbie swimming pool (for barbies), my bicycle with the basket on it, dress up clothes and tap shoes, slip and slide

Food: key lime pie (my grandma managed a restaurant and would bring it to me), shirley temples, fresh corn on the cob (we kids had to shuck), KRYSTAL Hamburgers...MY FAV

Candy: frozen zingers & twinkies, snickers, 5cent grape bubble gum, salt water taffy

TV Shows: The Carol Burnett Show, He Haw, The Mandrell Sisters Show, Solid Gold (I wanted to be a solid gold dancer:)

Stars: Ricky Schroder

Books: Judy Blume, Shel Silverstien

Music: Blondie, Elton John (loved Crocodile Rock), later it was Madonna

Fears: sleeping in my room alone (my sis and i shared a room from the time I was born until she got married and moved away when I was 8), mice, snakes, my big brother who loved to terrify me

Toys: Easy bake oven

Food: Quisp cereal

Candy: bbbats lollypops, wax lips,

Stars: Shawn Cassidy, Donny Osmond

TV Shows: HR Puffinstuff, Sigmund the Sea Monster, The Brady Bunch, The Partridge Family

Books: Mr Poppers Penguins, The Phantom Tollbooth

Music: Neil Diamond- this is so weird, my mom loved his music and I know I can recite all the lyrics

This is all under age 10, after that Pink Floyd and Yes, Led Zep- they are still my fav's!-Alyssa

tinamarie1

Abbey, my sister always whined that she NEVER got an easy bake oven and then on her 30th Birthday, her husband bought her one. lol She loved it though!

Toys: Big wheel, Tonka trucks, mighty-moes, plastic dinosaurs, and when I got older, Star Wars figures.

Food: hot dogs (i HATED hamburgers), mom's spaghetti, mom's pork chops, mom's round steak

Candy: Cherry sour balls, Choco-Lite, and when I got older, Special Dark (I liked dark chocolate before it was cool ;)

Stars: Shaun Cassidy, Harrison Ford, and when I got older: David Lee Roth, Bon Jovi, and Jim McMahon (no, not Ed)

TV shows: the Monkees! Banana Splits, Dukes of Hazard, the Incredible Hulk, Real People, the Bugs Bunny / Road Runner hour

Books: Sensory Integration Disorder (SID) Silverstein, Judy Blume, Tiger Beat magazine ;)

Music: KISS (yeah, since 3rd grade), Huey Lewis, Chicago

Thanks for the trip down memory lane, Ianav!

muttmeister

Favorite toys: My cap gun that I got when I had my tonsils out and my rope swing that hung on an iron bar between two trees. When I wasn't swinging on the swing, I was hanging on the bar doing tricks.
Favorite food - Fresh caught catfish, green beans from the garden, my grandma's homemade bread. And every Saturday I'd go to the drugstore and have a chocolate ice-cream soda.
Favorite candy - I remember when you could go in the dimestore and they had bins of candy and you could buy it in bulk pretty cheap; my favorite was the peanut clusters.
Favorite TV shows - Pinky Lee and Howdy Doody. When I got older - 77 Sunset Strip, Cheyenne, and Perry Como
Favorite Stars - Edd Byrnes (Kookie), Clint Eastwood when he was Rowdy Yates on Rawhide, and they guy who played Cheyenne (isn't that awful? I've forgotten his name!)
Favorite books - There is a whole series of Dr. Doolittle books and I know I read them all. Also the Bobbsey Twins.
Wanted but never got; A HORSE, of course.
Fears- I really don't remember being afraid of much. I was just stupid I guess.

witzend

I'm going pre-teen/pre-angst here.

Favorite:

Toy(s) - Barbie, Zoom-zoom (button on a string), playing cards, parcheesi, hide and seek...

Food - Spaghetti, meat loaf, cantaloupe, homemade popsicles, popcorn

Candy - hershey's with almonds

TV shows - Dick Van Dyke, Perry Mason, The FBI, Jack LaLaine, Looney Toons Cartoons

Stars - The Beatles, The Zombies, The Box Tops, Chad and Jeremy, The Rolling Stones, Herman's Hermits, etc.

Books - Any Henry Huggins book or Ramona book. Hardy Boys, Nancy Drew. Dr. Doolittle.

Fears - My dad yelling at us.

F

flutterbee

Remember those suckers that were fat and lasted for hours and hours and by the time you finished it your tongue was raw?

I can't remember what they were called, but I loved those things.

Wiped Out

Staff member
Favorite:
Toy(s) - Playing cards-cribbage and euchre, all board games

Food - Popcorn-we ate it at least 3 times a week for snack. One time we ate it three weeks straight!

Candy - Pixie Sticks

TV shows - Medical Center, Packer Games, Charlie's Angels, Brady Bunch, Partridge Family

Stars - David Cassidy and Donny Osmond

Books - Trixie Belden Mystery books, any book at all.

Fears-Spiders-I still hate them!, Whenever the three of us kids stayed home alone I was always sure someone was breaking in.