your childhood favorites

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
We lived in a neighborhood surrounded by land owned by the electric company on LI, so we had this fantastic giant dirt filled hilly easement to play in most of the time. We dug big holes and made forts and went sledding back there.

Toy(s) - Midget barbie dolls, Boobytrap game, Trouble game, Canasta card game, Don't Spill the Beans, Jarts, Hoola Hoop, Skip It! Mia Doll.

Food - Jiffy Pop, Grammas Chili and rice, Dad's Pepper steak, corn on the cob, BH Bologna on a kaiser roll with GOBS of spicy deli mustard and potato chips and pickles inside.

Candy - Razzles, Dots, Red Hots, Taffy, Candy necklaces, Black Jack gum and Teaberry gum, Lemonheads, Now & Laters, Cotton Candy, Candy Apples, Lik m' Aid, Pixie Stix!

TV shows - Sonny & Cher Show, Donny and Marie show, Love American Style, The Honeymooners (reruns then!), The Flintstones, The Jetsons, Popeye, The Brady Bunch, The Odd Couple, MASH, All in the Family.

Stars - I don't remember anyone really standing out. Hmmm.

Books - Sad to say, but I don't remember reading much when I was little. As a teen, I loved The Catcher in the Rye
The one toy you wanted but never got - Easy Bake Oven

fears - spiders, beetles, Junebugs, wasps, bees, mosquitos, boys.

KTMom91

This is fun!

Toys: Barbies, jump rope, Hula Hoop, roller skates, Rack-O...

Crafts: Painting rocks, ornaments out of homemade play dough

Food: Jello and ice cream stuff (my mom made it...yum), frosted graham crackers, cold melon on a hot day, ground up carrots, Nana's biscuits made from scratch...

Candy: BB Bats, Kits, Bit O Honey, I can't remember all the names but my grandparents had them in their store...like penny candy

TV Shows: Owen Marshall, Marcus Welby, Medical Center, Adam-12, Hawaii Five-O, Partridge Family, Brady Bunch, Starsky and Hutch...

Stars: David Cassidy, Bobby Sherman...

Books: Anything by Beverly Cleary and Judy Blume, Nancy Drew, Trixie Belden, later on was Paula Danziger

Fears: Honestly, not many, but was very very tired of moving every year...for a period of time, my dad was a corporate gypsy...

Wanted but never got: When we lived in San Diego (I was 7), I wanted one of those fake fur coats. I know the weather doesn't get that cold, but I wanted a coat like that in the WORST way. So, finally, at the age of 43, I bought myself a fake leopard coat. I think it's only been worn twice, because it's not cold enough, but I have THE coolest coat. Now I'm happy.

Tiapet

Old Hand
Thanks for the distraction and the trip down memory lane! I was an odd child as you'll see I think. Looking at it now makes me feel like I was a messed up kid! (uneasy feeling):sad-very:

Toy(s) - I really didn't play much with "toys" ever. We played outside mostly. Hopscotch, freeze tag, hide and seek, sometimes jump rope, and rode bikes (that was my favorite thing to do as it provided an escape and I could wander/travel a lot - later in life I could go whole town which was all of 2 1/2 miles by 1 mile). Rainy days were spent inside watching TV or listening to music.

Food - I hated hot dogs but the local little league field had special hot dogs and they were the only kind I liked. I'd sneak down and by one every once in a while. Spaghetti made from spatini sauce (now I don't care for it at all). Chinese food from the place up town, especially the pu pu platter and rice chips. I still love those rice chips and have found them at a local Asian food store! Lobster (was and still is) but I only ever got it later in life ON my birthday as a special treat sometimes. Oh and ice cream from the Milk Barn (and old barn they turned into an ice cream place).

Candy - I was never into candy when I was younger. If and when I had a piece of candy it MUST be a marathon bar. You can't find these anymore. I did a search for them and the closest thing to them is a candy bar over in the UK.

TV shows - Donnie and Marie Show, Bionic Woman, Wonder Woman, Land of the Lost and Lost in Space (absolute favorites!), Felix the cat (I really wasn't into cartoons at all but loved this one, Little House on the Prairie, oh and the Jetsons because I thought it'd be cool if the future really was like that although I didn't want to be high up in the sky living or flying. Movies - old old musicals (black and white), and any good movie really (still into movies).

Stars - Neil Diamond's music, Brooke Shields and the guy who played opposite of her in the Blue Lagoon (I forget his name now) - he was a curly. I had a poster of him in a loin cloth hanging on my wall for the longest time and I never would get crush on stars as I thought it was so "unreal" as it could never happen. Blondie's music and the Go Go's.

Books - The Little House on the Prairie series, Nancy Drew series, and Judy Blume series anything I could get my hands on that was science fiction for a while but then just about anything overall (avid reader). Went through a period of self help books from 5th grade to 8th because of peers making fun of me, then in 6th grade looked in to paranormal stuff briefly out of curiosity (parents would have killed me as family was deeply religious). Then graduated to reading mostly non- fiction and biography material. I read to learn mostly but will read other things occasionally.
The one toy you wanted but never got - A pair of regular roller skates for the roller rink. I ended up getting those sneaker skate kinds (with Nike sneakers) but they were so awfully heavy I could barely lift them to skate and they had no ankle support. I had weak ankles so they were useless and left me with blisters.

fears - spiders, getting old and dying, heights and flying, being locked up in jail or psychiatric hospital (neither was ever a real threat as I was never in a situation or reason to fear it), moving - yet again and still having no friends. Sitting on something and it would break ( I was heavy but no where near that heavy - kids teasing makes children's feelings amplified of what they already feel). I still have most of them still.

P.S. I had the easy bake oven, the pottery wheel thing, and the loom to make scads of potholders. It all got boring quick.

amazeofgrace

A maze of Grace - that about sums it up
oh gosh Now and Later, I remember those, I would definatley pull some fillings out now. I also used to love Slush Puppies, I had one a few years ago and I was like yuck, how did I like these? I miss bonkers those were yummy

Abbey

Spork Queen
I have a simple one. I SWEAR I grew up on Sunflower seeds. We had a little market about 5 miles from my house. My friends and I would bike nearly every day to get a nickel bag of seeds. It was a small paper bag of them. I still love those things.

Abbey

trinityroyal

What a great blast from the past.
Pixie stix, Lik M' Aid...I'm getting cavities at the mere thought!

Toy(s)
- jigsaw puzzles, my bicycle, cards (Crazy 8s, war, Old Maid, Go Fish), big old wooden boards left over from when my parents renovated their basement that the girls from dance class and I would use to put on tap dance recitals, colouring books and stickers, Easy Bake Oven, a kit of knitting needles and crochet hooks, Barbie sewing machine.

Food - My Grannie's homemade roti, stuffed with baked chicken in spicy sauce. Barbecued ANYTHING. Corn on the cob. Sour cherries, picked right off the tree. Concord grapes (we used to scoff them from the neighbour's vine that grew through our back fence).

Candy - Salt & Vinegar potato chips. Crunchie bar (the one with the chocolate coated sponge toffee). Crispy Crunch. Cracker Jack. Fresh pineapple. Mr. Freeze pops. Slush Puppies and Slurpees. Pink Elephant popcorn.

TV shows - Gilligan's Island, The Donny and Marie show, The Love Boat, Fantasy Island, The Price is Right, Little House on the Prairie, Bonanza (in reruns), The Partridge Family, The Brady Bunch, Emergency, Adam 12, The Mod Squad, Hawaii Five-O

Stars - Jack Lord, Michael Landon, David Cassidy, the dark-haired one from Adam-12, Peggy Lipton (I wanted to BE her)

Books - Anne of Green Gables series, Little House on the Prairie series, Nancy Drew, Hardy Boys, Bobbsey Twins, Archie Comics, Richie Rich comics, Amelia Bedelia, The Wednesday Witch, Beatrix Potter, Tibor Gergely's Great Big Book of Bedtime Stories (Little easy child still has this one), Richard Scarry's Busy Busy World (Little easy child still has this one too)

The one toy you wanted but never got - Perfection board game (where you have to put the shapes in before the base pops up and they all fly out), Operation board game

fears - the dark. All creepy crawly things. Snakes. I used to have to pull my bed apart and shine a flashlight in all the corners to make sure that spiders and snakes were not hiding in my bed. Then I would re-make the bed and get in. I used to keep a flashlight under my pillow because difficult child-mother would alwayas turn out ALL the lights in my room, including the night light.

'Chelle

Toys: Barbies, a sno-cone maker

Food: Roast beef with yorkshire pudding & gravy - still love it. Mom's meat loaf & mashed potatoes

Candy: Sweetarts, mojos, pixie sticks, Macinstosh toffee (don't know if you have that in the States, it's wonderful stuff)

TV Shows: The Monkees, The Partridge Family, Looney Tunes - we didn't get to watch a lot of TV

Stars: Davey Jones, David Cassidy

Books: I read so much - The Bobbsey Twins and the Black Stallion books

Fears: Moths and my dad's belt

4sumrzn

Wow, very neat to see all of the different responses.

Favorite:
Toy(s) - Baby dolls, bike, Easy bake oven. Outside quite a bit......forts, sleeping outside, tree houses, kick the can & the BIG one....*what ever we could do to "help" Mrs. Grouch NOT be so grouchy (or make us feel better about it!LOL)*

Food - Marion's Pizza, grilled cheese, beef & noodles, cabbage & noodles, soft pretzels, salad with-bleu cheese

Candy - anything peanut butter, swedish fish, lemon heads, candy dots, twizzlers, sno caps, pop rocks, anything caramel

TV shows - I remember loving Captain Kangaroo & it "went away", Brady Bunch, Happy Days, Rin Tin Tin, Little House On The Prairie, M*A*S*H* (still my favorite), Star Trek, Highway to Heaven, The Love Boat, All In The Family, Who brought up the Jetson's? I'm not a big cartoon fan, but loved it! Charlie Brown & Gang ;)

Stars - Uhhhh....hmmmmm....not sure. Always have liked William Shatner, Sean Connery, Don Johnson, Tom Selleck. Madonna, Prince, Kiss, Motley Crue....Kenny Rogers

Books - Don't recall
The one toy you wanted but never got - I didn't really ask for toys

fears - Being alone, spiders, moving, making new friends, the dark (for awhile), school, water

trinityroyal

Macinstosh toffee (don't know if you have that in the States, it's wonderful stuff)

Mackintosh's creamy toffee (said with a thick Scottish accent) !!!!

How could I have forgotten Mackintoshes. So thick and chewy it would pull the fillings right out of your teeth. Totally delicious!

Abbey

Spork Queen
(I will shamefully admit that Donny Osmond was my hero. My walls were plastered with his pictures and I was really upset when Marie entered the picture even though she was his sister.) If I could type a smaller font, I would.

Abbey

trinityroyal

Abbey, I too had a "thing" for Donny Osmond, and I'm not ashamed to admit it!
I even had purple socks. (Purple socks??!! That part, I'm kinda ashamed to admit)

Trinity

DammitJanet

I will admit that I have held a secret jealousy that Abbey lives in Vegas and both David Cassidy and Barry Manilow do shows in Vegas. Sniff Sniff...how unfair is that when I would give my eye teeth to see them?

Actually my very first concert was David Cassidy when I was 8 years old. My dad took me. Bless his heart...lol.

wakeupcall

I don't have time to respond to all of this right now, but someone asked if we ever ate dry Jello? We used to mix dry Kool-Aid with sugar in the palm of our hand and then eat it with a spit-moistened finger!!! Ewwwwww......