Your Dream Home

Lil

I was curious about where people would like to live...not a HUGE dream, like a house in the Swiss Alps...but a realistic dream. If you could find your dream house, what would it look like?

Jabber and I would like land - like 10 - 20 acres, close to work (with-in a 1/2 hour's drive or so). We'd like just a little house, 2 bedrooms would be fine. All one living level, but with a basement for storage and storms. A nice kitchen with a BIG gas stove and plenty of cabinets. Plenty of storage space for my sewing stuff and our medieval reenactment hobby.

We'd want a nice outbuilding that could be a wood shop and additional storage.

Jabber would like woods to hunt and a pond to fish. I'd like a nice little kitchen garden, a little orchard - like 10 trees max, and a little chicken coop with 3-4 fat hens. :) I'd want a fenced yard for my little dog to run in...or more likely carefully explore, since he's gone blind, but nothing too big to mow easily.

Most importantly - NO NEIGHBORS! Not that can see me wandering around in my back yard. If I want to go out back naked as the day I was born, I could! Not that I do, but my neighbors speaking to me when I'm in my bathrobe still is NOT RIGHT! I shouldn't have to get fully dressed to walk my dog in my own back yard!

So, a nice little cottage in the boonies - with a tin roof to hear the rain. That's what I would love to have.

Pink Elephant

Oh, I love it, Lil! Good one!

I just love Tudor homes, so my dream home would be Tudor (by design), with steel-casement, leaded-glass windows, and big heavy solid oak doors. I'd want high ceilings, and wood floors with area rugs, and a step-down kitchen just like in the movie (Clue).

Bedrooms would have dormers, and a library would be a must, just as a games room would be a must, too.

A large greenhouse off to one side of the house would be perfect, as would a garden conservatory, and the garage doors would be carriage-house styled, with heavy hand-wrought iron hardware throughout the home.

Oh, and lots of fireplaces, one for each bedroom, too!

Would also love for the grounds to have a reflecting pool with cast stone cherubs, and lots and lots of conifers and shrubs and things. Maybe even a hedge labyrinth.

This is so much fun!

Thanks for starting this, Lil! Can't wait to read everyone's else's posts.

Last edited:

AppleCori

Our current plan for retirement is to have a pig farm.

Right now, we are staying where we are at because my daughter’s life is here, but when she is grown, we will move.

And, I will have Chip and Joanna decorate my house (at least, that’s my dream) which will be as far away as possible from the pigs.

Tanya M

Living with an attitude of gratitude
Staff member
I love the house we live in now but if I could afford it I would remodel the kitchen. I would bump it out about 15 feet and I would have windows on all three sides so I could have lots and lots of plants and a nice seating area.
Something like this!!

Attachments

• house.PNG
    house.PNG
    1.1 MB · Views: 393

Triedntrue

I would like a lakeside house with a screened in deck overlooking the lake. This is so i can enjoy outdoors without the bugs a lake attracts. I want a pontoon boat. I also want some land no close neighbors. 2 bedrooms a good size kitchen and fenced section of yard to let multiple dogs run . whole house air. A gameroom would be nice. A waterfall in the yard would be great.

Pink Elephant

I love the house we live in now but if I could afford it I would remodel the kitchen. I would bump it out about 15 feet and I would have windows on all three sides so I could have lots and lots of plants and a nice seating area.
Something like this!!
Oh my goodness, that's why I want, Tanya! So beautiful and inviting!

Pink Elephant

I would like a lakeside house with a screened in deck overlooking the lake. This is so i can enjoy outdoors without the bugs a lake attracts. I want a pontoon boat. I also want some land no close neighbors. 2 bedrooms a good size kitchen and fenced section of yard to let multiple dogs run . whole house air. A gameroom would be nice. A waterfall in the yard would be great.
Oh yes, a waterfront home would be so nice. hearing the waves lapping-up against the shore and having the option to enjoy a beach and the water any time.

BusynMember

We are buying land by the lake for our RV and we also just bought a pontoon boat. It's for us and the kids. So excited!! But our home is not by a lake. It's on a quiet culde sac. Only four homes, lots if woods.

Lil

A large greenhouse off to one side of the house would be perfect, as would a garden conservatory,

Oh yes! I forgot a greenhouse and a lovely sunroom like the one @Tanya M posted the picture of. That's lovely!

Our current plan for retirement is to have a pig farm.

Pigs! Not your average retirement plan! LOL! I like it!

I grew up with pigs, no desire to actually raise them. I did have a friend who had Highland Cattle - those short stocky cattle with big horns they have in Scotland? I wouldn't mind a few cows or goats....

My idea is of course an actual, obtainable dream.

The REAL DREAM would, of course, be much different. LOL

BusynMember

I wonder what happened to Pigless In VA, speaking of pigs....I wouldn't want farm animals. You can't travel if you need to care for them.....right?

AppleCori

I wonder what happened to Pigless In VA, speaking of pigs....I wouldn't want farm animals. You can't travel if you need to care for them.....right?

You can’t travel extensively, but you can trade duties with other farmers for short trips.

I wonder how Pigless is doing, also. Lots of people have just dropped away.

RN0441

100% better than I was but not at 100% yet
We always said it would be fun to have a little farmette with some chickens and cats and dogs and maybe a few other animals. We'd never do it though.

Love the idea of a place on the water with a beautiful kitchen and big fireplace.

Just love being close to the water!

Love gardening. Would love a huge perennial garden with all the things I love and a greenhouse and a fruit and vegetable garden too!

pasajes4

A house on a river or a lake. I want a log cabin. It could be one huge room with sleeping lofts. It has to have a deep wrap around porch large enough to provide outdoor living space in the summer. There must be large trees and one right by the water with limbs strong enough to support a rope to swing out into the water. A huge bbq pit made of river rock and a fire pit for cool evenings making Smores and roasting hotdogs/ marshmallows. I'm homesick already.

KTMom91

I like where I am, but would like to have central air conditioning (it's close to 100 degrees right now). I'm in the original Old Town, incorporated in 1912, in a house built sometime between 1917 and 1924. The county tossed all the old records (I asked) and they didn't do mail delivery door to door until the late 1940's. What I do know is that I'm the third owner, and the original couple lived here until 1993. I bought the house in 1996.

I want to paint the house a sage green, with white wood and a dark purple on the windowscreen trim.

I guess I'm already in my dream home, tiny though it is, where the kids go by singing or yelling or playing, the Pokemon crowd is wandering, Farmers Market with a band playing on Friday nights, parades and the rodeo and high school football, a downtown to stroll in...