Your Dream Home

BusynMember

The dishwasher is built in bit they say they are taking the stove. We shall see. We knocked 5k off the offer for that and were surprised they accepted it.

I hope they take the fridge. We want one with ice and water and they just have an old fashion fridge. We already picked it out. Black or stainless. For the stove too. Washer and dryer will be front loader but it's in the basement so we don't care about the color.

Last edited:

AppleCori

The dishwasher in built in bit they say they are taking the stove. We shall see. We knocked 5k off the offer for that and were surprised they accepted it.

I hope they take the fridge. We want one with ice and water and they just have an old fashion fridge.

I would definitely want to upgrade the appliances. Why in the world would they want to take their old stuff? Especially if it’s not that great. I usually sell my fridge with the house, too.

Gas or electric stove?

RN0441

100% better than I was but not at 100% yet
My new kitchen is my favorite part! It comes with micro, dishwasher and stove but have to buy fridge.

upload_2018-6-6_13-39-25.png

AppleCori

The dishwasher is built in bit they say they are taking the stove. We shall see. We knocked 5k off the offer for that and were surprised they accepted it.

I hope they take the fridge. We want one with ice and water and they just have an old fashion fridge. We already picked it out. Black or stainless. For the stove too. Washer and dryer will be front loader but it's in the basement so we don't care about the color.

What color are your cabinets and countertops?

Most people like stainless steel, but they are harder to keep clean looking, I’m my opinion. Always show fingerprints and wipe marks.
But, I would have it if it matched the kitchen better than a colored set.

Tanya M

Living with an attitude of gratitude
Staff member
We remodeled our kitchen about 10 years ago. My husband and I are pretty good do it yourselfers.
We put in nice large 18X18 tiles that have nice earthy colors from browns to blue grays. It's beautiful. My husband would mark where the tile needed to be cut and I would run it out to the garage and cut it with the wet saw, bring it back and he would put in place.
The original kitchen did not have enough counter space or cupboard space so we bought some stock cabinets and and a bank of large drawers that were the same style as our existing ones. My husband stained them to match the others to a T! They are a honey oak. By doing this I was able to gain 6 more feet of counter space! My kitchen is a galley style but it has two entrances and is quite wide so it doesn't feel claustrophobic. On one end we have a sliding glass doors that go out to our patio. Our backyard backs up to a flood plain which backs up to the woods and a creek. It's very serene. We also put in a nice garden window over my kitchen sink. So nice to have my African Violets blooming when it's winter. My appliances are all white. I'm not a fan of stainless but they have a new black stainless that I like.

AppleCori

We remodeled our kitchen about 10 years ago. My husband and I are pretty good do it yourselfers.
We put in nice large 18X18 tiles that have nice earthy colors from browns to blue grays. It's beautiful. My husband would mark where the tile needed to be cut and I would run it out to the garage and cut it with the wet saw, bring it back and he would put in place.
The original kitchen did not have enough counter space or cupboard space so we bought some stock cabinets and and a bank of large drawers that were the same style as our existing ones. My husband stained them to match the others to a T! They are a honey oak. By doing this I was able to gain 6 more feet of counter space! My kitchen is a galley style but it has two entrances and is quite wide so it doesn't feel claustrophobic. On one end we have a sliding glass doors that go out to our patio. Our backyard backs up to a flood plain which backs up to the woods and a creek. It's very serene. We also put in a nice garden window over my kitchen sink. So nice to have my African Violets blooming when it's winter. My appliances are all white. I'm not a fan of stainless but they have a new black stainless that I like.

Sounds nice!

I don’t know that I have seen the black stainless, but I did see a brown/bronze-ish color that I thought would be great with those off-whiteish cabinetry (that has a yellowish undertone) and those granite countertops with lots of brown/bronze streaks.

RN0441

100% better than I was but not at 100% yet
I love a white kitchen!

That is what I will get if we remodel ours.

I can’t tell—white appliances?

I love the light-colored floors—is that tan or gray?

I love white kitchens too! I wasn't able to change the cabinets but I love them. The floor is gray and tan ceramic tiles that look like wood. We will have stainless appliances. In this picture not in yet. Husband wanted the dark stainless but since builder buys in bulk it would cost a lot so we said forget it. I have a white kitchen in our condo but not nearly as nice as this one. I upgraded the granite and the backsplash (not in yet) but otherwise we couldn't make many changes. It's supposed to be "coastal" look and that is what I wanted anyway so am content with their chosen finishes. I am decorating with blues, seafoam green and gray.

AppleCori

So, these tiles—is that your backsplash or countertops?

AppleCori

I love white kitchens too! I wasn't able to change the cabinets but I love them. The floor is gray and tan ceramic tiles that look like wood. We will have stainless appliances. In this picture not in yet. Husband wanted the dark stainless but since builder buys in bulk it would cost a lot so we said forget it. I have a white kitchen in our condo but not nearly as nice as this one. I upgraded the granite and the backsplash (not in yet) but otherwise we couldn't make many changes. It's supposed to be "coastal" look and that is what I wanted anyway so am content with their chosen finishes. I am decorating with blues, seafoam green and gray.

The countertops in the picture are not the ones you will be keeping?

What type/color of backsplash?

Gas or electric stove?

Tanya M

Staff member
I would love to have a white kitchen but I would have to get rid of my husband. :p Love him dearly but he doesn't always think about what he's doing. He has a side landscape business and also takes care of our very large yard and numerous planting beds. He'll come in the house with muddy shoes or muddy hands. Many years ago I told him we were not going to wear shoes in the house, well that lasted about 2 days. Sometimes you just have to pick your battles and fighting with him all the time about it just isn't worth it.

Tanya M

Staff member
So, these tiles—is that your backsplash or countertops?
They are the floor tiles. 18X18

I don't have a backsplash but have been thinking about doing that. Our countertops are a high resolution laminate that looks like granite. I thought about granite but we have well water and didn't want to have to fuss over them to keep them up.

AppleCori

They are the floor tiles. 18X18

I don't have a backsplash but have been thinking about doing that. Our countertops are a high resolution laminate that looks like granite. I thought about granite but we have well water and didn't want to have to fuss over them to keep them up.

I missed that! Floor tiles!

I will probably get quartz countertops the next time I get a kitchen remodel.

Tanya M

Staff member
I will probably get quartz countertops the next time I get a kitchen remodel.
Me too!!
Another reason I didn't do the granite is they say unless the bottom is sealed they can leak radon. Not sure if that's really true or not.

Copabanana

Rn. That is a lovely kitchen. I like that the painted wall parts are greyish/taupish. That is very practical I think. With the woodwork, which will resist dirt, the only pure white.

I have a white kitchen. Completely. White. My upper woodwork has held up. The lower? Yuck.i will repaint it a medium blue. And keep the walls and upper cabinets white.

Not smart. It was pretty for one week.

I also regret the stainless appliances. Impractical. Hard to clean. The fridge spots and corrodes from rust. The stove scratches with cleaning. And never cleans real good I would not do it again.

But the biggest mistake? A pure white floor throughout the house. We painted the concrete slab.

That itself, was a good idea, taking up carpets. We can mop. We have pets. The floor is comfortable because we used epoxy paint.

But surprise. Surprise. Every. Single. Thing. Shows. And the white has stained and discolors.

I will paint the floor again a pale pale taupe /off white.

I love paint.

I love kitchens.

I love your house plan, lil. Especially the long porches at either side of the house.

As far as the longed for but lost stone house, it served its purpose to show you what you wanted and needed. It will come.

Lil

My brain is fried today. Actually had to look up greenhouse because I couldn't remember it.

That's okay honey, you just are catching my aging, menopausal brain. It's the glass plant room...LOL

More land is better - I was being reasonable and coming up with something we can afford. :)

Come to think of it, I don’t know anyone in MO that has a basement (not that I know that many people in MO, so never thought about it).

Do they have many basements? Most people in Iowa have them, as far as I know.

If you can have a basement, you do have a basement. Hilly as it is, Missouri is a tornado state.

, ladies, the important stuff.....

Describe your kitchen...

What color cabinetry?

Galley, eat-in, L-shaped, or other?

Brown trim or white?

Flooring?

Plenty of cabinets or not?

Recently remodeled or original?

You do NOT want to get me started on my kitchen. Or the ENTIRE kitchen that is still after two years sitting in boxes in my basement! TWO YEARS! The beautiful, new cabinets and stove and....

It's better I not talk at all about my kitchen.
:mad:

Tanya M

Staff member
You do NOT want to get me started on my kitchen. Or the ENTIRE kitchen that is still after two years sitting in boxes in my basement! TWO YEARS! The beautiful, new cabinets and stove and....
I remember the story!

BusynMember

Ok. The owners who have posession of the house until Monday have white cabinets, a light blue wall and hardwood floors. The whole house is hardwood floors. With our two little dogs, I wonder how many times we will have to do work on those floors. Ugh.