Your favorite charities

klmno

I probably should have clarified that we couldn't do anything last year or this year. difficult child both enjoyed shopping for an Angel Tree child at Christmas, too.

donna723

Another one I haven't donated to yet but plan to is the Elephant Sanctuary in Hohenwald, TN, just a few miles from my house! This is the most WONDERFUL place but it's not open to the public so a lot of people, even the ones who live here, don't even know it's there. It's not a 'zoo'. It's strictly for the benefit of the elephants, not for the people, like a zoo would be. Google it and check it out! They have many, many acres of open land out in the middle of nowhere. They take sick, abused and neglected elephants from circuses and carnivals and let them "retire" there to roam free as part of a herd for the rest of their days, the way they were supposed to live! They have all the food they can eat, good medical care, and a heated barn to sleep in when it's cold. They get by strictly on donations and help from volunteers. The same vet who takes care of my dogs volunteers his time at the Elephant Sanctuary too! He had to take a crash course in "Elephant"!

Andy

Not a dumb post - this is the time of year where many charities are in their largest fundraising drives. Our hearts seem to open more in the Fall and as Christmas comes near.

My favorite charities are the smaller personal ones. I like to help out local fundraisers for families in need (usually a devasting illness type thing). Most of my giving goes into my church activities. As Sunday School Superindent for the past 10 years, I donated craft supplies and holiday gifts to each child. A few years I would have a weekly hand out, just something very small. Any time any of the church kids' activities need something, I try to donate it.

I also love doing the Angel Tree and Fill the School Bus projects. Each year, I had my kids each pick one name of a kid their same age and we purchased Christmas gifts or filled a back pack with school supplies.

tiredmommy

I've made rotating donations through the years to the following organizations:

Our local SPCA
Episcopal Relief & Development
Our Little Roses
Carolyn's House
Madonna House
Boys & Girls Club
Running 4 Leah/NF2
Community Missions
AIDS Community Services
My parish

I also like to give time where I can. And I've been particularly fortunate to volunteer with kids and help them to fund raise for charity.

DammitJanet

Oh...I forgot St Judes. Our local radio station always does a St Judes fundraising drive each year and I go find the DJ's and donate whatever I can.

TerryJ2

SPCA.

LOL about Dumb Friend's Society. I thought that meant I just chipped in for their margaritas on Friday nights!