Your favorite discount department store

BusynMember

I'm thinking of all stores that have similar layouts to Walmart....

Mine would definitely and with no competition be Target. We don't have one in our "big" city of 18,000, but there is one in a nearby city and Jumper and I go there a lot. We both like it.

You?

Nomad

Staff member
Probably Target

Some TJ Maxx’s Are good. Definitely some are better than others. Depends on the city. It’s intetesting how they don’t stock these stores exactly the same.

Home Goods are a lot of fun too. :)

BusynMember

I like TJ Maxx. I think it's an upgrade from Target and basically a clothing store. I live in Wisconsin and am embarrassed at admit that I never heard of Steinmart in Madison.

I don't know all the different regional stores but would like to hear about them.

runawaybunny

Administrator
Staff member
Here in So Cal I like Nordstrom Rack for clothes, shoes, cosmetics, and some homegoods. Not sure how many locations they have. TJ Maxx is pretty good here too. The local Targets are good too. They also have groceries so it can be a time saver to pick up whatever and some groceries.

KTMom91

I like Target for nearly everything, and TJMaxx for the handbags I am addicted to. TJMaxx stores are not created equal. The one nearby is usually pretty good, but the one across town looks like a moving van threw up. Ross and Marshalls, same thing. Some are good and some are a complete disaster.

Nomad

Staff member
I liked a designer purse at Macys. But it was over $200. I didn’t not want to spend that.

I went to a tj maxx in a nice neighborhood. They had last year’s model. I can’t recall the exact price but it was less than $100. It looked nearly the same. Yep, I got it. Love it!

Marshall...in my old neighborhood it was very good. There isn’t one in my new one. So, the other day we went to check it out. It’s about a thirty minute drive. Ugh. One lady screamed “shut up” to a relative in line, lots of yelling children, the clothes, shoes and purse selection wasn’t as good. It was unpleasant. I’m not sure where the th maxx is. I hope I can still go bargain shopping. It can be lots of fun. Thank goodness for Target!

Last edited:

Triedntrue

It kind of depends on what i am looking for. I like k mart by me simply because i dont like lines the walmart is infuriating. For kids stuff i like gabes. Keep in mind i am not a fan of shopping.

AppleCori

I get my jeans from Target and I think they have cute housewares, though I rarely buy any. I go there maybe once or twice a year, tops.

Never been to a Steinmart, though I have heard good things about it.

I do most of my clothes shopping online, especially for my daughter.

I have to admit, I shop Amazon often. I usually am looking for a specific item, not just “shopping” and I find it easier to find exactly what I am looking for there. A few weeks ago, we cleaned out my daughter’s closet, and I found she needed some long-sleeved shirts to go under other shirts in specific colors (her old ones were getting too small). I just looked them up a on amazon, found exactly what I needed, and clicked. A few days later, they appear at my door.

Now, an often overlooked and underrated store—dollar stores.

I have specific things I buy only there. For instance, I buy a big bottle of shampoo for $1 and use it to clean my shower before I get out every morning. No chemicals, no scrubbing, no long weekends cleaning bathrooms.

BusynMember

ApplCori, I am hooked on Amazon for most purchases, especially around Christmas. Evading the Christmas rush is so nice .

WHEN I go to a department store, I prefer Target. But if Amazon counts as one, then it would be Amazon by s long shot.

BusynMember

Old hand, I don't recall most of those stores. But I vaguely remember going to Woolworths for soda back in the day!

If by Fields you meant Marshall Fields, I boycotted it and almost never set foot inside because all the very rich people I lived with in childhood only shopped upscale and loved it and that was my personal, pathetic rebellion against what I felt was snobbery and greed. These days I boycott Macy's ;) I still have an aversion to upscale, name brands and status symbols.

Pink Elephant

Whenever we went to Woolworth's, we'd order a vanilla shake that came in one of those tall stainless tumblers fresh off the machine, still cold with moisture droplets on the outside of it, and a plate of French fries! What a treat that was.

AppleCori

I have not heard of any of those stores except Woolworth. I’ve never been to a Woolworths, though. Don’t recall ever seeing one.

Are they still in business where you live?

Pink Elephant

I have not heard of any of those stores except Woolworth. I’ve never been to a Woolworths, though. Don’t recall ever seeing one.

Are they still in business where you live?
Sadly they're not. Was such a downer when they all closed their doors. Same as Saan's and Fields department stores. They were the best when it came to shopping for babies and children.

Pink Elephant

Oh, yes... we had sodas at Woolworth's too, but the one-stop selection was the clincher for me, and Woolworth's had the best baby needs department! They had the best selection of rubber pants in town.

Last edited:

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Once a month, when I was in grade school, I was given 50 cents to have a grilled tuna/cheese sandwich and a small chocolate shake at the Woolworth's lunch counter. That was my favorite store as well. I was looking at pictures from my early childhood the other day while visiting my mother. It was really like a slice of history. Made me feel very old.