Your Microwave salmon madame......

Star*

call 911........call 911
First - I want to thank you for the recipe and the courage to try new foods.
I told you when I picked up the fresh fillet DF nearly beat the roof of his mouth to death with his tongue. He could NOT wait. I could - I put it off as long as I could. But I thought - it sounded like a great dish. And good for us.

I did JUSt what you said. And I took BBK's idea of asparagus (canned none here in the grocery store) and I made Home made banana nut bread for dessert. Oh and a baked potato.

It took me less that 15 minutes to do it all -

I served it to DF and he went bonkers - he said it is a great way to cook fish. When I told him 5 minutes in the microwave he had the same reaction I did - but it was moist, flaky, and tender. He was in heaven.

So I just wanted to say - thanks for the great suggestion.

Hugs
Star
p.s. I'm taking the leftovers and making him fried salmon pattys tomorrow for lunch.

.....what? Oh what did I think? First time fresh salmon eater. Note to self - if you were a grizzly Star - you would starve. I had a no thank you helping and called it a night. But what I did eat was very moist and flakey. DF said I could certainly make it for him again - he sends his thanks to you!

Sara PA

I missed the original thread about micowaving salmon but I learned that's the best way to make it when I lived in Alaska. We had these great salmon steaks but I couldn't get the part around the bone cooked. The rest of the dinner was ready to serve and the outer parts of the steaks were getting dried out. In frustration I took them out of the oven and popped them in the microwave. I couldn't believe how well they cooked. After that I never had steaks again (fillets only for me) and, for the next 20 years, always cooked my salmon in the microwave.

N

Nomad

This sounds yummy....although it also sounds like I missed a great recipe for salmon posted here. I don't trust my instincts to cook it in the microwave and have it come out tasting good. Can we get that recipe again?

Sara PA

Mine was to put it in a Pyrex dish, season to taste, cover with waxed paper and zap for five minutes. It will cook a bit more while it rests. I made a pound that way.

I use to make a horseradish sauce for it. I'll have to dig that recipe out and update it a bit....

LittleDudesMom

Star,

glad at least one of you like it! I actually had that for dinner last night (we have it or tuna at least once a week) with a baked potatoe and fresh pineapple! I use malt vinigar, "no salt" (brand salt sub) and pepper on my potatoe instead of butter/sour cream.

The salmon is also good the next day crumbled on a salad. But salmon cakes are good too especially if you have a little left over potatoe to add to them.

Nomad, the recipe is really simple. Place salmon filet(s) in a pyrex baking dish. Sprike the top with lots of fresh finely chopped ginger and garlic. Add some fresh lemon or lime juice (lime is my favorite). If you like dill, sprikle a little dill on the top and then, if you like, you can add a tad (like 1/4 to 1/2 t of light butter or light marg on the top). Then cover with saran wrap with a little whole to vent. Micro for five minutes and pour juice over salmon filets on place. Delish!!!!!

Ok Star, what other food are you afraid to try - maybe I can get you to try something else!!!!!!!!

Sharon

Star*

call 911........call 911
Well - what could you get me to try....

Oh I know :slap:

I haven't tried .....um......(fingers crossed behind back) BROWNIES!

(oh that is a lie)

I don't care for seafood - or anything else that lives in it's own bathroom. So out of the water please. :tongue:

Star*

call 911........call 911
Oh had to tell you a funny story about the salmon.

In my kitchen I have a 10 gallon aquarium on the counter with 2 of the worlds smartest gold fish living in it. Okay I'm their mom so they are both smart - but one has committed fishercide twice. Once by showing the girl fish he COULD still squeeze into the little rock statue in his aquarium and once jumping out of the bowl and onto the kitchen counter. Both times I revived him with
carpiopulmonary resuscitation. In any event the little boy fish has had a rough life.

So there we all are in the kitchen and I've just rinsed the filet off and I whacked it down in the pan I had set (RIGHT) in front of the fishes. I went about my business and I turned to look back at the filet and OMG - I swear to you the fish were like this - :highvoltage:so i thought better of it and moved the pan. I figured they were finning each other going 'See I TOLD you they were canibals!!!"

Oddly enough and funnier yet was when I told DF and you know what he said ?

When I took it out of the freezer I sat it there on the counter in front of Fishy and Pearl to defrost and I looked back and thought - WELL THAT isn't right - so I moved the filet to the counter by the coffee pot.

-I can't believe I was so insensitive - ack!

But I thought it was neat that DF even thought the same of it - we really love our pets - lol

Boop Boop didum dadum wadum CHoooooo

N

Nomad

Sharon and Star and whoever else might have been involved with this microwave salmon recipe....just want to say thanks! I finally tried it tonight and it was GREAT! Super duper easy as well. :love-very:

What other fish cooks well in the microwave? Be specific please. Thanks!!!!

LittleDudesMom

Nomad,

glad you liked the salmon. I'm thinking I might need to take some out of the freezer for dinner tonight (I buy the big piece at Costco and then cut it up in indiv serving sizes and freeze it)!

I must admit that this is the only fish I have cooked in the micro. I eat a lot of tuna as well but I like that grilled or seared. Have you tried talipia? It's a really nice white, nonfishy fish!

Sharon

trinityroyal

Tilapia cooks very well in the microwave. You can use the same recipe as the salmon, just swap out the fish.

Sole is okay in the microwave, but it has a tendency to fall apart. I have been baking or grilling sole lately.

Sharon, I agree with you. Tuna steaks are great grilled or seared.

Trinity

trinityroyal

One other thought, if you're looking for a non-fishy fish.
Swordfish. It is very firm, and almost has the texture of meat. The flavour is not too strong either.

I would prepare swordfish the same way as tuna steak. Seared or grilled.

'Chelle

I do halibut in the microwave this way. Add a little garlic, lemon, dill, cover with plastic wrap and nuke it for about 5 minutes. It's always moist and even the kids will eat it LOL. We do a similar with fish on the bbq - wrap it all up with herbs, lemon slices and garlic in foil, little bit of butter and put on the bbq probably about 15 minutes, depending on how thick the fish. We do them in individual packets and everyone just gets a foil packet. The foil keeps the moisture in, gets just a little taste of smokyness, very yummy.