"You're doing an ample job parenting your child."

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Obviously NOT.

I am so sick of hearing that.

Yeah, it feels good, to some extent, to hear that this particular person doesn't outwardly blame you, but come on, people...I still feel like if I were doing an "ample job" parenting my child, he wouldn't be acting like a maniac.

We had to go to the psychiatric today because BT felt he was manic and in crisis last week, and today was the soonest available crisis appointment (scarey). Of course, yesterday was his first good solid day in a week, and he was ok today except for acting like a perfectly controlled little butt-a-cuss...which probably makes us lose credibility with the psychiatric.

But that was her line as we left.

Gee, thanks. I think?:whiteflag:

Nancy423

do I have to be the mom?
I'm actually laughing because my mother (a PsyD.) tells me something like that all the time. I don't feel like I am! I know how you feel.

KTMom91

I don't know how I'd respond to that, either.

I think we are all way more than "ample" or merely adequate when it comes to our difficult children...simply because they are difficult children. Someone said on another post that parenting a difficult child is not for the faint of heart. It's a constant struggle. I think we should all get capes and superhero badges!

Ropefree

Banned
Shari...do you ever feel buried in jingles? Oh and IF jingles worked we could "wash that man right out of our hair" and let "calgone take me away"...Scotty, Scotty beam me up.
I think what is REALLY scarry is when I am asking for help for my child and the psychiatric is saying that I am doing really well, too. What does THAT mean? We are having a heck of a time!
The truth is the data has to be collected for them to even know. Anyone going all
reasearch on your household? I have a intensive home therapy all lined up and I met with the therapist once...that was six days ago...I was all glowy and hopeful and ready...now I am just wiped out after these days. My teen is miserable and isolating latched like a sea lamprey on the computer and rude and sullen everynight the same routeen of resistance. I am weary inside and out.
Is that REALLY "adiquate?".
Those professions need to get in the mud more and they need to look at specific people and not the general. Who cares about general...this is our childrens developement and IT IS VITAL!
I am so happy you have a foot in their door. Now for the rest of the story!

I'm sorry, but I just can't resist on this one. It's very easy to be patronizing from "on high". I can say from personal experience that unless you have lived the situation it's very, very hard to have a clue just how hard this all is.

Those of us here in the trenches know to some degree. Hang in there. If your situation is somewhat like mine - the trouble ebbs and flows.

Mandy

Parent In Training
I actually asked my husband if he thought I was a good mother because I was seriously questioning my parenting skills too!!! He reassured me that I was a good mom, which helped some. Sometimes I just have to remind myself that my other children have done well so far, and that Cole does have a disability (just one not everyone sees)!! I second the super-woman cape though, sometimes I need one!!!

Star*

call 911........call 911
oh oh I know I know (said jumping up like Donkey in Shreck)

"Well thank you for the compliment Dr. Doo little.....(or whatever) we were thinking you do an ample job counseling our family."

Thud - So ask her what her definition of AMPLE is - or ask her if her comment was MEANT to bring you back and cause you MORE issues wherin she makes MORE money. As if -

maril

I don't know how I'd respond to that, either.

I think we are all way more than "ample" or merely adequate when it comes to our difficult children...simply because they are difficult children. Someone said on another post that parenting a difficult child is not for the faint of heart. It's a constant struggle. I think we should all get capes and superhero badges!

You know it! :bravo:lol.

TerryJ2

Well, I guess s/he was trying to shore you up, but it does come off as a bit patronizing.
Sowwy.

been there done that.