Yuck!

tiredmommy

Duckie just had her 7th birthday a few weeks ago and she still refuses to blow her nose. She does it, but only half-heartily and after much prodding and angst. This is especially bad right now because she has a horrible head cold with terrible nasal congestion.:ill:

Is this normal? When was your difficult child able to blow his/her nose?

The sniffling is driving me nuts!!!:why:

nvts

My daughter could blow her nose very effectively when she was 3 years old.

difficult child 2 since he was 5

difficult child 1 still has not mastered it.

We got it better when we made it fun.

Hold one nostril closed, tell her to blow like a big Daddy Elephant through his trunk. When she blew it was like a baby elephant, mother then dad. Switch nostril and do the same routine.

Good luck!

Beth

crazymama30

My difficult child hates to blow his nose. He snorts and hacks and clears his throat. I tune it out, it's gross, but there are worse things.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Nichole could blow her nose at 9mos. A prodigy in the nose blowing dept. lol But then she could also snap her fingers with both hands at 9mos.

One of my biggest pet peeves ever is a child with a snotty nose. I don't care what the age.

All mine were nose blowing experts by age 3 and never had snotty noses.

Personally, I think they learned/were willing to learn so Mom wouldn't have to use that blue bulb syringe on them. (cuz I would lol)

Aubrey can blow her nose, and will search out a tissue for a runny nose. Darrin is a sniffer which drives me nuts. But he will blow if you ask him to.

My sister was always a sniffer. I always thought it was soooo revolting to hear her sniff with a cold. ewwww lol

Hope Ducky gets rid of her cold quickly.

Hugs

Lothlorien

Missy is terrible about blowing. She'll do it, but I have to tell her and she hates it. I think she hates the feeling of blowing.

Mighty Mouse, oth, has been blowing his nose since he was really, really little.

4sumrzn

My difficult child was sent home from school last week because she couldn't take care of her nose:confused:. She knows when it's running, but can't quite get it taken care of properly. We've had plenty of practice over the past 10 days, hopefully the little she did master will stick with her.....hard telling though!LOL!

TM,

Count me in as another one who also finds this totally disgusting!!! difficult child 2 still has trouble blowing his nose. We've been trying to teach him by using Beth's method of blowing through one nostril at a time and holding the other one closed.

TM,

Count me in as another one who also finds this totally disgusting!!! difficult child 2 still has trouble blowing his nose. We've been trying to teach him by using Beth's method of blowing through one nostril at a time and holding the other one closed.

Unfortunately, difficult child 2 is fascinated by the contents of his nose - totally gross!!! He likes to "play" with the contents and smear it everywhere when he is angry:grrr:

I hope Duckie gets the hang of it soon!!! WFEN

Both difficult child and easy child had great difficulty with nose blowing. I never understood it until I learned about sensory defensiveness - then it all made sense to me. Both have now mastered the skill (I can't believe that I just said that :) ), but I got very concerned that it would never, never happen.

I would say that the strategy that helped them the most was purchasing them both their very own handkerchiefs to carry daily. I bought them when they were young enough to think that they were "grown-up" like their Dad. Looking back, I think it was the "softness" of the fabric as opposed to the rough paper tissues that made this strategy work. All of us now are committed lotion tissues users... It's amazing how much softer they are!

navineja

N can but does not like to blow- she just doesn't want to take time out of her play to care for it. Rather than make a huge deal about it, we just tell her that she is not pleasant to look at and she needs to play in her room until she chooses to take care of it (tissues are in her room for her). It seems to work for her.

Fran

Former desparate mom
Neither of my son's blow there nose forcefully. Fortunately, they seldom have colds so they never had runny noses. My kids tend toward catastrophic diseases but skipped the colds and flu's. Go figure.

'Chelle

My easy child will blow her nose if I hold the kleenex, will not if you just hand her one. She'll wipe her nose but not blow, says she can't :confused: Don't know why this is, other than I suppose she doesn't like it. difficult child blew his nose early on, by age 5 for sure.

mstang67chic

Going Green
Mine will be 18 in 28 days, 7 hours and 36 minutes and hates blowing his nose. Always has....or at least since we got him when he was 9. He's gotten a bit better about doing it without being told 15 gazillion times but still resists. He would rather sniff, snort and snuffle than blow. Drives husband and I insane as it sounds sooooo disgusting. When he does blow, it's rarely with any force so it doesn't really do any good. I don't know if he's just that lazy, doesn't like doing it or what.

Steely

I am with Mustang and Fran.........difficult child still has not grasped the importance of nose blowing. Truthfully, I don't think he feels a runny nose, he will just let it run down his face - I know, nasty. If it bothers him, and he is really stuffy, he will do a total Larry the Cable Guy gig, and blow his nose half away across the yard - into thin air - no kleenex, hanky, napkin - nothing. Seriously even typing this makes me want to barph. :sick:

difficult children!!!!

Kathy813

Staff member
Here's one of my pet peeves ~ people that blow their noses but don't know the nose blowing etiquette.

I can't stand when people blow their noses at the table while other people are eating. This includes restaurants.

My students drive me crazy, too (in more ways than one LOL). Many will stand in the front of the room (where the tissue box is) and blow loudly and repeatedly. I try to ignore it but when it is really bad, I suggest that they step out in the hall to blow their nose. They always look surprised when I make that suggestion.

Occasionally, a student will quietly ask if they can step in the hall to blow their nose. I always appreciate their thoughtfulness.

To answer your question, TM, I don't remember having an difficulty getting my girls to blow their noses. When they were tiny, I would hold a tissue up to their noses and say blow. As they got a little older, they would do it themselves.

~Kathy

tiredmommy

Thanks for all responses... I guess I'm not alone in this! I don't remember when I started to blow my nose but I couldn't have been older than six. I've been using Beth's method, but I may have to try separating her until she learns to do it without a fight. The good news is that she seems more aware with this cold that her sniffling sounds disgusting to others. I 'm beginning to think, though, that she's not even aware that she's doing it until it's pointed out to her. Ugh!

Wiped Out

Staff member
I don't remember difficult child have trouble with nose blowing but I have had several students in the past who have struggled with this!