Zimmerman trial anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
With this type of psychological hype that has been steadily escalating, I'd lay higher odds it will be people out looking for trouble more than police mishandling the situations. (not that the latter won't also happen) Unfortunately with social media it is far easier to whip people into a frenzy of mob mentality than ever before.

I'm seeing it going across my news feed on fb right now, have been all morning. I have literally hundreds of fb friends from all walks of life.

I'm watching a LOT of such conversations on my news feed today. They keep being bumped back to the top as my fb friends respond.

There are a lot of stupid people, sad to say. And when people get whipped up into a frenzy, even normally intelligent people can find themselves swept away by it. That is why mob mentality is contagious. People do NOT think in that state of mind, it's raw emotion.

As for should we take what is seen on social media at face value? Well, I dunno........Homeland Security most certainly does. They monitor them continuously.

I'm not trying to panic anyone. Just advise them to be more aware of what is going on around them over the next several days as this trial winds up so that if something does happen in their area they can hopefully avoid it.

witzend

The tweets, if true (I believe them to be made by instigators in an effort to cause a riot and lay further blame on people who are "like" the victim in this matter) are terroristic threats. If they were real, the people making them should be arrested. There are people who want a riot, and it's because they want to point at a part of the community and say, "See there? They're animals and deserve to be treated like animals."

Do we really live in a world where they see a riot coming and can't work with the community to put it to rest before it happens? That's what those people are counting on, and it's shameful.

DammitJanet

I think there are those on the very fringe edges that may try to cause the actual violence but so far all of this has been peaceful. All the Million Man Hoodie Marches were very peaceful and now the actual teens who are coming of age to vote are trying to make their opinions known through the legal channels such as voting in politicians who will change laws.

Now there are a few people I wouldnt want to be around. Zimmerman's friend Frank Taffe is one of them because I think there may be more people who want to shut him up by now than they do Zimmerman.

BusynMember

I can't watch the trial. The little I've heard about it indicates the "fight" is more about who was on top than who is dead. As far as I'm concerned, an unarmed person should never be allowed to be shot in public, and Zimmerman is a nutbag and a ticking timebomb who will probably get off only to do this vigilante thing again. I think "stand your ground" is insane. So if I look at you while I'm daydreaming and you think I'm threatening you, the paranoid thought alone can make it ok to shoot me? Worse, what if my black or part-black daughter accidentally looks at you. You can shoot either dead and it's ok. Or if this crazed nut who is armed runs after my kid and the kid fights back he can be shot?

We have difficult children. Some of them look scary because they like to dress "tough." My kids don't like to dress tough, but by virtue of skin color some people are afraid of them. ANY OF OUR KIDS COULD BE TRAYVON!!!

I would never live in Florida. I'd rather keep the snow. I wouldn't live anywhere where there is some law as nutty as "stand your ground." Although Wisconsin, under this crazy govenor, is getting more and more crazy. Minnesota or Illinois, here we come...depending on the next election. This mindset scares me.

Zimmerman should spend the rest of his life in jail. Trayvon has no more life to spend anywhere. Hate to say thisk, but I think this is highly racial with some whites getting off on what Zimmerman did for whatever reason. I know he is part hispanic. Doesn't matter. THat's still how I see it. And nobody is going to change my mind. All you have to do is listen to those highly charged old-white-men talk shows to hear how and why they feel Zimmerman was the victim.

If there is a riot, so be it. I for one don't like riots, but will understand.

Trayvons parents settled with the homeowners assn. in April for an undsclosed amt that was over a million dollars. Doesn't THAT FACT ALONE say gz was responsible? I'm glad the jury is all women, maybe they're moms like us. I agree with you 100% MWM!

BusynMember

Ever since Casey went free I knew our jury system has gone down the toilet. People watch too much NCIS (or whatever it's called) and won't ever find anyone guilty unless it is shown on tape.

Bet if Zimmerman was black and Trayvon was white, however, it would have been a different verdict.

Archie Bunker lives and is real and has taken over our country. I am no longer proud to be an American on many levels and I do think the country is moving away from being the greatest country ever. In no place in the US should a citizen be allowed to shoot somebody else who is not armed in a public place and have it not be murder.

If I were a young mom trying to raise a family, I'd move to Canada with no qualms and never look back. This is heinous.

Mattsmom277

Canada is different, but certainly not what I'd call better. Trust me on that, especially with the justice system. Take my word for it. It's been a weekend of stress as I wait to hear back from the parole board about bio monster. He's served all of 12 months and is apparently likely getting a early parole hearing. This for pleading guilty to the destruction of 3 women's entire lives, mine included. His victims are in the dozens but three of us prosecuted. So if he gets it, he will have served 4 months for each of the victims that came forward to prosecute. For rape, incest, and a slew of other indignities. Even if he is denied, he gets mandatory parole next June. So he will only serve 8 months per victim. And they've moved him to what I call Camp Pedo. He gets a large house on prison grounds, his own room, privacy, freedom on grounds from 7am - 11pm each day. They budget for their own groceries and can even order take out to be delivered if they choose.

I would flee this country if I had the financial means. I feel no loyalty to my flag and I'm ashamed to live in this country. I certainly wouldn't recommend it.

Canada- held me captive coming back into USA for no reason, took a friends electronics because he has a website about true horrors police commited, even his mp3 player.....this was all legal. I'm not kidding. Mattsmom227 ....awful!

BusynMember

I'm sorry they did that to you. I think every country has it's losers. Also I'm sure the US has done similar things. I simply like Canada's way of thinking better. Not everyone can have a gun. You can't shoot somebody in any province just because they may give you the stink-eye. Crazies don't own the radio waves. I doubt anyone there would even listen to our junk.. A small group of people don't hold the entire country hostage in Canada's government., The people are, as a whole, more open-minded and everyone has healthcare without worrying about if some poor Jane is getting it fairly. I have come to appreciate Canadian and European cultures more and more as I see our country decline in so many ways. I would probably, from what I know of them, like the UK and Scandanavian countries very much, although I am used to more diversity.

Gee, there's a bill to make a fetus a person with inheritance rights in Wisconsin. It just keeps getting more...humorous.

Back to Zimmerman, this case is in my opinion everything that is wrong with the US in 2013. I would not stay here if I had the money to leave and to move the rest of my family with me. Strangely, my husband feels the same way and he is a ten year vet who loved this country enough at one time to sneak into th e AF at seventeen and risk his life. Ah, well.

Casey and George should get married. Am I the only one who thinks they'd make a perfect pair?

DammitJanet

I do think we are getting a bit overzealous. While I think the Sanford police may have thrown the case, the actual justice system did its job. Eventually Zimmerman was arrested even if it took longer than I think it should have, he had a trial by a jury of his peers. He was defended well and it was prosecuted as well as they could with what they had to work with.

Some just dont like the results. No one has ever said that a courtroom is about the truth. Its about each side arguing their case to the best of their ability and in the end a jury decides the outcome. This isnt perfect but its the best around.

Star*

call 911........call 911
George Zimmerman is a bigot. True.
George Zimmerman wanted to be a police officer and make a difference in the world. True.
George Zimmerman made 47 phone calls to the police about suspicious African Americans. True
George Zimmerman lived in a mostly African American neighborhood? (Didn't know that one) but okay - True
George Zimmerman was the neighborhood watch patrol guy who was not trained properly. True.

Travon Martin was shot and killed in cold blood. You can't bring him back, you can't wish him back - he is gone, and George Zimmerman shot him. True.

So we came up with a solution today. WE WANT HIM
Lets put George Zimmerman to work.....and let him see suspicious activity out of African American Males........Call it in to 911, and clean up the mean streets of Columbia's North Side. Because GOODNESS knows we could sure use a man like that ........here. And we have just the place for him. We offer him a blue uniform.........a weapon........and we're going to drop him off in Blood territory. After all we're 2nd in the nation in Gang crimes. Then next week? We give him a red uniform.......drive him a little farther South......and drop him off in Crip territory. Hey.......I'm not saying it's a perfect plan......but it could work. It . COULD. WORK.

Apparently for as backwards as the world is - we have people here doing life on their third strike for killing a dog..........and this guy? WOW. Guess if you want to kill someone - GO to FL. You'll get off -------I mean - my ex......Casey Anthony and now this Putz. Wow.

pasajes4

I watched as much of the trial as I could stomach. It appered to me that at some point the person on trial was Treyvon and not Zimmerman. In my opinion Treyvon was on trial for his own murder and was found guilty. My 2 cents.

Dixies_fire

I fully admit I'm ignorant and didn't watch the trial.

But removing everything all the race issues, who he called the cops on before, what neighborhood he lived in.

If someone beat the hell out of me would I shoot him if I had a gun?

Probably, that's why I don't have one.

Would it matter to me what race he was?

No, no one has a right to hurt me to steal from
Me or hurt or scare my children. Should someone's race determine what they can do to me?

Would it matter how old he appeared to be as he was beating me?
Hmm
Only if he was a smaller then me weaker then me, if I could fight him off I would without using a weapon. If he was beating the hell out of me would it matter that he was a teen? No.

He probably should of gotten man slaughter as it seems he egged the situation on quite a bit.

But let me ask you all something. The city I am from originally Montgomery has 30 homicides already this year, one of the most recent ones is a 23 year old mother of 3 kids who lives in the projects who is black who was shot by someone who is also likely black, stray gunfire, why is this less of a tragedy?
Why do I say the person who was shot her is likely African American? Because she lived in the projects and Caucasians don't live there. I don't mean a few do I mean none of them do.

You aren't eligible for public housing in Montgomery depending on your color.

So....
Just look at it from all sides.
Am
I sad that trayvvon died? Yes, he was someone's child who was seemingly making some bad decisions in his adolescence. Pretty much all of our kids are guilty of the same thing. Making some poor decisions.

But being violent towards anyone might get you killed, point blank period, it's a natural consequence of violence FOR ANYONE.

BusynMember

In a society where it's ok to kill, and nuts like Zimmerman can pack a gun, yes, if you try to stop somebody from following you in a suspicious manner, you may get killed.

If I were big and strong enough and somebody was following me in a suspicious way for no reason, I'd feel like they were going to hurt me and I may do what Trayvon did. Zimmerman wasn't badly hurt.

Our jury system has been tainted by CSI shows. I've heard this discussed on the news. Just one other problem with our country.

If Trayvon were white and Zimmerman black, I reiterate, Zimmerman would be in jail for life.

This could be your kid that some redneck thinks is "dangerous", no matter what his color. Some people just don't like kids or kids with piercings or kids with tatoos or kids who wear pants that hang down low. many of our difficult children don't look like upstanding kids. They could be shot because someone like Zimmerman doesn't want them around and claims to be afraid of them.

Would you still think, "Well, it went to trial and he was found innocent."

Nobody in this country should have a right to shoot anybody who has not invaded their home unless said person is killing others and it is a way to stop others from getting hurt. No other supposed first world country allows this craziness. There's a reason why other cultures don't think American culture is too bright. There have been two of our board members children murdered that I can think of. The person who killed both were not at risk. Any of our kids could be next.

Another comment: Dixie, there are very few benefits to being of color in this country. If you've tried to get public housing and were turned down, I doubt if it was color based. I think it is only income based. I know that that is how it works here. In all seriousness, I'd look into it further because you need what you need if ya need it :)

tiredmommy

We have a family friend (white, middle class father of two) that summed up his feelings: if his son or daughter were trailed for four blocks, taunted and then had someone try to physically stop them by putting their hands on their child? He's told them they're supposed to defend themselves. Kick, punch, scratch, bite, scream bloody murder. Whatever it takes to get away from the stranger (NOT a person of authority!) that is accosting them. I've told my Duckie to do the same thing. We all do the same when we talk about stranger danger. Why is this not considered standing your ground? What does a grown man expect when he's taken it on himself to trail a teenage boy? My 12 year old Duckie might get in a few good licks and scare off her attacker, but a 17 year old just might put up a good fight and bloody him up. I can't believe that GZ could legally stand his ground after causing the altercation. The law is grossly flawed. GZ brought this on and that boy's blood is on his hands.

donna723

... and you know what else REALLY bothers me about all this? Has Zimmerman ever, even once, expressed any regret over what happened? Has he ever showed even the slightest little bit of remorse that he killed an unarmed teenager who was just minding his own business and doing nothing wrong? Has he ever shown even the tiniest bit of compassion for the parents whose young son he gunned down? If he has ever done any of these things, I didn't hear about it!

pasajes4

An attorney on t.v. explained what was really on trial. Leave out all the stuff leading up to the shooting. At the exact time of the shooting GZ stated he was in fear of his life. The jury had to determine beyond aresonable doubt that he was NOT in fear of his life to convict him on any kind of murder charge. It could not be proven beyond a resonable doubt that at that moment he was or was not telling the truth. The jury had to find him innocent by definition of the law.

In this case, the o.j. case, and in the casey anthony case the letter of the law prevailed and in my opinion true justice was not served. We all know that our justice system is flawed. We as a society have failed by not exercising due vigilance in making sure that the people who are making the laws and carriying out the enforcement of said laws are worthy of their positions. When parts of the system are broken we must be willing to do what is necessary to fix it. JMHO

Status
Not open for further replies.