A long overdue update (and new login )

Mattsmom277

This is Mattsmom27, now Mattsmom2777 because I've changed email addresses and can't retrieve my password for the site.

I haven't been around in a dogs age. I do read a few times a week.

An update on us. Matt is now back home for a year now. He is struggling with essential tremors in his hands but they are vastly improving. He started high school this year. He is doing ok academically. Choosing to be anti-social. He hasn't really made friends, his choice. He spends all of his time at home. A bit of a disrespectful tone creeps into his voice sometimes but he accepts my parenting (finally) and stops when asked. Behaviourally the change is night to day. I can't believe this is the same child smoking, drinking, drugging, running wild, suspended, expelled, resistant to all forms of help etc. After so many years, the sullen withdrawn teen years seem a breeze so far.
My easy child Jessica is 8 now. She's in her 3rd season of hockey and enjoing it. She's doing well in school and is still my happy little camper.

I'm doing good and then not so good. I finally got rid of my "then" sober alcoholic common law partner. He started drinking, created alot of problems and was gone the day he took a drink. I survived it and truthfully just learned alot from the experience.

I had been posting about my neurological problems and tests etc. So it currently stands at probable MS but come Jan. and my new neuro appointment, that will likely flow into official diagnosis. I have my ups and downs. Had a period of remission that was wonderful and then bang, without warning, it ended. I've been struggling for about 5-6 weeks, but it seems to be easing back a bit now. I'm on new medications (16 tabs a day YUCK) which I really think are helping me see some improvement.

I haven't been posting not because my difficult child is turning more typical teen than difficult child, but because it is very hard sometimes when you are going through alot personally to look outside yourself to support others. I will be online now more often again. I have missed you all. I also see many new members I haven't had the pleasure of meeting yet.

I am so glad that this board survived the change over of ownership, some sites just don't manage to pull off the change. What a sad day if this soft place to land wasn't here for parents to stumble upon. Not to mention all of us regulars!!
I realized today it is has been almost 9 years since I've found the board.

Looking forward to catching up with you all.

Melissa ... aka Mattsmom27, now Mattsmom277

Star*

call 911........call 911
SHES BAAAAAAAACK!!!!!!!!! and she's on the card list!!!!

If you EVER leave like that again! hahah

Good to see your smiling face.

Hugs & Love
Star
aka the Loan Ranger

busywend

Glad you are posting again, Melissa!

Your update is good with the exception of the MS diagnosis looming ahead. I hope it is in remission again soon and the medications help to keep it there.

'Chelle

Hi and nice to see you again. I sure get what you mean by the sullen withdrawn teen, it's what I have now and honestly I'd take this any day over what we used to deal with. Any parent who complains about dealing with typical teen attitude I just think this is nothing, you don't know what bad is. I just told my difficult child the other day that his sullen attitude was getting thin already LOL. His answers to my questions are a lot of "WHAT?" "grunt" "meh" and "NO", but I do know he talks to his friends so at least I know it's just me as a parent. He's growing his hair longer and shaggy and slouches around, but at odd moments is pleasant to talk to, so I have hopes for the future anyway.

My cousin has had MS for year now, and like you has good times and then rough. I hope for you your good times far outweigh the rough ones.

Abbey

Spork Queen
So good to have an update from you. It sounds as if difficult child is making some progress, although the withdrawl is a concern. I guess when you are going through life changing events, sometimes it is good to be by yourself.

Hope you are feeling better.

Abbey

susiestar

Roll With It
Welcome back Melissa.

Sorry to hear the relationship fell apart, but it sounds like you handled it well.

Glad to hear the kids are both doing well. I have missed you.

Hugs,

Susie

Mattsmom277

Thank you all for the warm welcome back. I truly am doing allright. There's just been one thing after another. Can you believe mostly non-difficult child related? Wow!
As for the ex, well it's been over for a while now. And it was over before it truly ended, if that makes sense. I'm actually dating someone. Taking things slow but a really interesting man. For various reasons I am really happy in my choice of who to date at this time, a good one being he totally understands that my kids and dating are seperate. They will not be meeting him. Second, he's about to buy a new house post-divorce (divorced 5 years so not a new thing, just a new house) so isn't going to want to move in with me like my ex etc.
I am glad to have reclaimed my home again. It feels like my safe place to fall in this crazy world and for a while there it didn't feel that way anymore.
Anyhow, going to be catching up here alot more. I have a new laptop too so the board is running wonderfully for me for a change. Gosh I love technology!!!

Melissa

Sunlight

Hi Melissa, and welcome back to the nest. it all sounds so much more peaceful for you. we will be looking forward to your posts!
janet

mum2JK&TH

Welcome back Melissa! I was wondering where you had gone to. Glad to hear that easy child is enjoying her hockey, we are busy with that here too. Sounds like difficult child is making great progress. Maybe his anti-social behavior is worry that he'll get himself into trouble again? I hope he keeps moving forward.
Enjoy the new relationship, sounds like it's running at a good pace for you :smile: I hope remission comes again soon.

Glad to see you back :smile: