"A Smile As Big As The Moon"

mazdamama

I watched this movie last night with tears rolling down my face. If you have not seen it you should really try to find it. It is a Hallmark movie and I plan to buy it from the Hallmark channel if I cannot find it in the Hallmark store.
It is a true story about a group of special education teenagers in high school. They all have varied diagnosis's and a fantastic teacher. This group opened the eyes of NASA and because of them children like our difficult children are now welcome in Space Camp.

Wiped Out

Staff member
I had wanted to watch that when I saw the advertisements but then when it was on I forgot all about it.

buddy

I watched the other one too, the one about counting the stars or something... where the woman finds out her child will be disabled and her hub leaves her. She decides to raise her on her own, ex hubs bro is a doctor who helps (and loves her of course) and there is a girl who becomes the disabled child's friend (a sub plot in that she is a sweet kid with a difficult child mom with an abusive boyfriend)....

It helped give a reason for all my tears lately... Just added to the bucket but it was good if you are in the mood for that kind of touching movie.

Kathy813

Staff member
I watched it last week and thought it was great. I think things have changed a lot since then. At least in my school district, you wouldn't have a class of such varied diagnosis's all together.

Both of my girls went to space camp when they were in middle school. I asked easy child if she had watched it last week and she said no but that she loved space camp. She went with another girl that was her best friend and they have stayed friends over the years. The other girl got an engineering degree and is now in law school. easy child is a math teacher. easy child said that they have actually talked about going back as adults to participate in the adult program. She said that she thought she could find things to bring back to her classroom. I told her that she would have to pay for it herself this time. LOL

When I described the things that the students were shown doing, she said that she remembered doing all of them except the underwater activity. When I mentioned that the patch award, she exclaimed, "We won that one. It was my design." :)

All these years later she still has fond memories. difficult child went with one of her friends and enjoyed it, too. At that time, difficult child was a easy child. The friend is now an MIT graduate. difficult child just graduated from rehab. Sigh.

If any of your kids ever get a chance to go, I highly recommend it.

~Kathy