A truly tragic loss

keista

There are so many ways to die. So many ways to loose a loved one. The sooner life is cut short, in my opinion the more tragic. But some things, like congenital diseases, and leukemia and such, as tragic as they are, are expected to happen, and give people time to 'prepare'. Others, like violent crimes, seem senseless, but we know, however illogical, there was a motivating factor. Then there are deaths due to reckless behavior, even if the behavior seems 'mild' such as getting a tongue pierced, there is a known risk.

What I can't wrap my head around is why a 16 year old girl should die because she went for a swim (following all standard water safety rules) with her family. My heart breaks, and I just cannot find any *cosmic* understanding.

http://www.latimes.com/health/boost...e-amoebic-meningitis-20110815,0,1980195.story

H

HaoZi

I don't see anything about water safety rules in there. Rather moot, since this is one of those freakish things of low percentages. It's not the reason I prefer a pool that I can smell the chlorine in, but I'm adding it to my list. There is always a risk in swimming, this just isn't one that happens often.
My sympathy to the family.

keista

I added the part about the rules because I knew someone who died from diving into shallow water, head first, WITHOUT checking the depth first - known risks.

She was swimming with her family as she always did. IOW, adult supervision, depth tested, etc. It just really got to me when I got a call from the HS stating they were offering grief counseling to students. She went to son's HS and was just one year ahead of him.

keista

He's OK. Thanks for asking. He didn't know her so he's self-removed from the situation. Although the way he expresses emotions isn't always appropriate, I think he processes them well. He's never seemed to bottle anything in for any length of time.

I haven't even mentioned it to the girls. Fortunately we don't do any freshwater swimming (except for the lake at camp, but that's a cold mountain lake so we only deal with leeches there).