A vent and possible help needed

happymomof2

Some of you know my sons story some not but anyway since Christmas the warden (head of self contained) has not had to call me once. My son has gotten his second class out and he made the A-B honor roll.

I wrote at the bottom of his point sheet the other day that I wanted to go ahead a schedule the IEP, which his teach said would be needed at the end of the year so he can go into regular ed next year. His teach wrote me back a note and said he doesn't think son is ready. Said he is not getting his work done quick enough in class and other teachers he spoke with feel the same, and that his grades may suffer if we do this.

When I read that I started fuming - naturally. I feel he is ready, and I know that there is a possibility that his grades will go down some at first. I want him to have this chance but I want to handle this well. So I wrote on the sheet that I still want the IEP scheduled and I want to give him a chance, if his grades start dropping we will address it then. Of course a lot of this is up to my son. He has to pull his weight.

I get so scared going into those meetings, these teachers have been doing this forever and know what to say and how to say it to get what they want. O.K. now I am starting to sound like it's a conspiracy or something.

My son is ready, he wants out so bad. I want him out as well. I just don't want to hurt him. In the back of my mind I am thinking - hmmm.... what if they are right, what if he's not ready, what if he gets out and has to go back to self contained, what will that do to him and his self confidence?

I know no one has a crystal ball - help me out here you guys, what would you do?

Thanks

klmno

I think I would ask a lot of questions and try to find out specificly what the current "problems" are- EXACTLY what is he doing and not doing. You need answers that tell you more then "he isn't doing work"- you need to figure out why. It could be lack of motivation (or depression) or inability to focus or a real inability to keep up for some other reason. Once that is figured out, I would think that the "right answer" would be more apparent. I think sometimes teachers just want to report the result of the problem without thinking to get to the bottom of what is causing it. You might need to find an objective, knowledgable person to sit in the class and try to decipher all this.

Good luck!!

happymomof2

I spoke with the counselor today and she said she was in Teachers room Friday when he was writing his note to me. She has known difficult child since elementary school and stood up for him. She thinks he is ready as well. The only area where she is concerned is with is his behavior if he gets frustrated with the work. Bad grades will not land him back in self contained - bad behavior will.

He will not be mainstreaming into regular ed classes where there is 30 kids to a teach. He will be in what they call VE classes. Smaller classes with teachers that handle Special Education kids, but they are not self contained and he will have a locker, change classes every period etc... just like mainstream.

I am so glad I called her this morning - I feel better now.

Thanks