Abbreviations

InsaneCdn

Its really nice when we can put our mouse over an abbrev. and see what it means.
But over time... more acronyms get used.
Anybody else noticing the bits floating around that are not defined?

Just wondering what we need to do to get some of the newer ones added.
Here's some of the ones I know about:

Central Auditory Processing Disorder (CAPD) - central auditory processing disorder
Auditory Processing Disorders (APD) - auditory processing disorder
Developmental Coordination Disorder (DCD) - developmental coordination disorder

DBT - ?? (as in CBT and DBT - maybe drug-based therapy?)
I don't know - ?? (I don't know??)

keista

koi had me stumped for quite some time.

Maybe moderators need to enter them into a forum dictionary or something?

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Koi are pretty fish used in ponds... But really, they're glorified C.A.R.P. Which is what we used to use a while back, to refer to - well - swap the A and the R. It's a nice way of getting round the board censors, and not offending others. LOL! (And the board censor doesn't like the name of that fish, either... LOL)

I noticed Central Auditory Processing Disorder (CAPD) is underlined...

Hoover... Well, what does a vacuum do? (*slurp*)

If I feel very strongly that something is really, really untrue... I'll call it bovine manure.

Some of us use these more than others...

InsaneCdn

I don't think the "creative alternate usage" is necessarily going to get defined... and would be hard to anyway because there are so many creative people on this board who come up with new and interesting ones...

But.. texting short-forms that some of us "older ones" are not quite up on yet... and/or newer dxes - would be nice to have. Yes, I noticed that Central Auditory Processing Disorder (CAPD) did come up... AFTER I saved the post. Chalk that up to a senior-moment.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
*snicker* you're not old. Trust me.

One that I didn't get for a while was ORLY. That's an airport in France, right? LOL! OH REALLY.

I did just check that post... It was edited... difficult child is slightly different now... I find it amusing, but I understand why it needed to be changed.

InsaneCdn

Step -
OK, I'm not exactly old.
I am old enough to be the parent of some of the younger posters on this board; most of my peers have grandkids. My kids are young enough that I hope to be retired before grandkids come!

And my kids aren't into the texting, IM stuff - so they aren't much help.

:wink:

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
too much information= too much information

in my opinion= in my opinion

been there done that= been there done that

on the other hand= on the other hand (this one stumped me for a while lol )

psychiatrist= pscychiatrist

therapist= therapist / counselor

I'm still trying to figure out koi........... lol

Steely

Insane - cbt is Cognitive Behavioral Therapy and dbt is (I think) Dialectical Behavior Therapy and I don't know is I don't know.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
:rofl: step

I had the jest of what it meant, silly woman, just not the actual words that it meant. lol And yeah, I do seem to have more than my fair share......anyone want some? LOL

InsaneCdn

Interesting note... it looks like ODD isn't in the definitions list either.

Hmmm... either that is a wee bit odd, or its the kind of acronym that you can't really put into the list because you'd get underlines and strange meanings for ordinary words like "odd"?

keista

Well, that does happen with CPS. It's Children's Protective Services, but is also used for Collaborative Problem Solving. Easy to tell the difference in context once you know, but until you do it's ???????????

InsaneCdn

CPS - definition in the current list is "Child Protective Services". Should probably include both - there are others that do. (XXX or YYY)

InsaneCdn

Ran into these two today...

in real life = ??
OP = as in "at the OP's request"... I'm assuming this means Original Poster?

Steely

I would have assumed O.P. meant out patient? But that doesn't work with the sentence you are using.
And I would assume in real life is a computer term....but again....doesn't seem to work in this context....so.....hmmmmm.