maril

Anyone willing to share their thoughts about effectiveness, etc., of Abilify? I've read about it but would like opinions from those who know firsthand. TIA.

BusynMember

I never took it, but my friend did. She had to go off of it. It made her unable to experience any pleasure. She got so depressed that she didn't leave her house. She is better now that it was discontinued.

Everyone is different. Abilify helps many and doesn't help some. That's how all psychiatric medications are.

Farmwife

difficult child tried abilify for mood disorder (bordering on bi polar)

Didn't seem to work at first then it worked too well. He was energized and bordering on bizarre thought. My guess is it thrust him almost into mania. No real harm was done, we noticed quickly and doctor tappered it off fast. The only real difficulty was the frustration in another medication not working and dealing with behaviors until the next one worked.

Of course medications work differently with everyone, as you well know. Abilify was described to me by a professional as a mood stabilizer with a slight "upper" quality. I'm sure that was the official technical way for them to put it.:tongue:

Is it the one that the commercials mention *can* increase suicide in teens? I would read the literature very closely just to be informed, you just never know...

Of course I knew that you knew to check things out. You parent a difficult child, of course you knew! :smug:

Good luck. I never like medication changes, always means one aint workin' and another may or may not. UGH.

maril

Thanks for the info!

Good luck. I never like medication changes, always means one aint workin' and another may or may not. UGH.
I hear you there.

I'm crossing fingers that this will help my son; first dose last night, so will wait and see. One can always hope and be positive. At least he is more on board than he used to be with medication trials and that sure helps.

Jody

My daughter just started it last week. I thought it was a wonder drug. For several days her behavior was great. She was relaxed. This morning big blow-out. She is sleeping a lot. She slept 12 hours last night. It was peaceful around the house but she still got up grumpy. I don't really know yet, but I will let you know the longer that we take it. My daughter also takes: Wellbuterin 150 mg. Adderall XR 35 mg, and Abilify 5 mg in AM and Pm. I sure hope it works. Good Luck.

add us to the just started last night crowd....

2mg to start.
(only medication right now)

didnt make her tired at all (i purposely withheld her usual melatonin last night to see the effect--tonight, adding it back!!)

no real difference today, but then, i didnt expect there to be.

i'm sure the dose will change, and more than likely will not be the single medication forever. but we are trial-ing it for a good few weeks if she can get some relief from it--

so i'm watching this thread carefully too.......

Wiped Out

Staff member
My difficult child had a horrible reaction to it as it gave him Tardive Dyskensia. That being said, I think many do very well on it.

Abilify has been effective for my dauhgter. She also takes the mood stabilizer Lactimal. My understanding is they are most effective together. What dosage is your son on? difficult child started at 5 and is now at 20 MG once a day. It has ceased the rages. She still has mood swings but no where like before. Compassion

crazymama30

difficult child has done great on abilify, he takes 2mg in the morning and 5mg at night.

husband did well on it but had developed tardive dyskenisia on geodon and abilify reactivated it.

maril

Thanks to all for sharing.

Welcome, Jody and confuzzled (cool username!). I hope your kids do well with Abilify.

compassion: Nice to see you! I see your daughter has been on Abilify for a long time and am glad it works well for her. My son was started on Abilify 5 mg at bedtime and no other medications presently.

Sorry to hear about the tardive dyskinesia, WO and CM30. Hope it was only a temporary thing.

jannie

trying to survive....
abilify has been very good for my son. He has been on it since mid year kindergarten; he still on it and he's mid year fourth grade. It helped with anger management and frustration..

miles2go

My 8 y.o. son has been on it for abourt a year, with a BiPolar (BP) I diagnosis.
At first it was fantastic, now, 10mg it obviously is not enough. He is ok in controlled situations but loses it at recess and when badly slept. Hypomanic much of the time.

Would probably be a lot worse without it.

maril

Thanks, folks.

I'm assuming the thought of the practitioner, who prescribed the Abilify, may be bipolar disorder but I see that Abilify may be used to treat other conditions, too.

This is one of the sites I checked out http://www.webmd.com/bipolar-disorder/antipsychotic-medication that has good info.

Not so long ago, the NP cautioned me to keep an eye on my anxiety about difficult child starting new medications (he has had reactions and side effects over the years from other psychotropics) so that it doesn't spill over to difficult child and influence him. Point well taken. I am working on just being watchful and keeping things in perspective with new medications.

I also am working on the process of detaching. :biggrin:

Jody

Good News!!! :D For the first time in many, many years my 11 year old difficult child woke up this morning and she was nice and got ready for school on her own and caught the bus. I did not have to tell her to do anything or watch the clock. I still cannot believe it. She also helped me with the dogs and she has never been able to do that in the am without throwing a fit and cursing, bad scene. She has 4a's and 2 b's and she has never done that either, she generally carries Ds and Fs and then brings them up to C's before the quarter is over. Everyone has noticed that her whole face looks different. She's relaxed and not mad at the world. She started Abilify 5mgs at night and 5 in the morning. It made her sleepy at first but she's over that now. I hope this works for awhile, it sure would be nice. I am afraid that I just jinxed myself and I will go home and it will be the same. Three days and we have not had a nasty word or anything. Abilify has definately helped us.

maril

Jody: I am so happy for your daughter! I would imagine she is relieved to be able to cope so well.

Thanks for sharing your good news and I hope the success with Abilify continues.

dirtmama

my 8 y/o started abilify 2mg 4 days ago. i didn't realize how tense he normally is until now. he was so relaxed! chatty and calm. (didn't crash off the concerta)but yesterday after school he had a hard time staying focused with- homework and came to tears easily. also this morning he was back to his usual obnoxious behavoirs and all over the place, all he wanted to do is legos not get ready for school. he's getting a cold too and doesn't feel to good. he was in tears again brushing his teeth. he couldn't say why? do any of your difficult child's on abilify come to tears easily? maybe it'll pass...i hope. he said he felt better able to control his behavoirs at school though.
side effects so far : a little tired during the day, more sweating, alittle dizzy when getting up fast (not bad)

flutterby96

My understanding is that Abilify isn't meant to be a stand-alone drug. Our orig rx was 2mg Abilify & 15mg Remeron daily, and it was wonderful!!! Then pediatrician got concerned about weight gain (50lbs - 70lbs in less than 2 months), so we decided to cut the Remeron. It's been all downhill from there, but we've had a lot of other extenuating circumstances. Noticed difficult child started some new, wierd facial & breathing tics on the Abilify, but she still has them off medications so don't know if they were caused by Abilify or not. Currently looking to chg to a diff anti-psychotic, but mostly for economic reasons. HTH.