ADD Questions

Fred's Mom

Hi to all, It's been a while since I've posted.

Question 1? I have had his 1st grade teacher, BD teacher and a psychiatrist tell me my difficult child does not have ADD. Now we are going to a new psychologist for his on going behaviors with ODD. He is trying to tell us that he has ADD. He tested him and the only symptom he has is poor impulse control. He is not hyper and he can focus well. Is this guy crazy? or do they label you and drug you,if you have one symptom?

Question 2. If my difficult child has poor impulse control problem, I refuse to give him concerta, hich is what they want to do!! After the FDA reports I have read. (I have already went to drug route.....not good at all. They gave my difficult child an AD to try to fix his anxiety and ODD. He became crazy and suicidal at age 6 if you can believe that..!!!!)

What can I give him instead of drugs. Or can anyone tell me where to look or go to get help with this.

Hi! The most important thing is to figure out what your child needs, not the diagnosis per se. There are many different non-drug ways to approach poor impulse control. Is he is therapy now? What types have you tried? There are only a few good therapists out there? What about recreational therapy and/or social skills groups?
Diet can be a big factor. It is good to try to eliminate artificial dyes, additives, fillers, etc.
You might also consider taking him to a homeopathic physician. Homeopathic remedies do not have the side effects of something like Concerta. www.homeopathic.org