F

flutterbee

I fell out of the bed today.

Go ahead and laugh. I'll wait.

ho hum ho hum ho hum ho hum

*whistles*

*taps foot*

Ok. Stop laughing.

My bed is tall. I was going to lie down and take a nap. Got under the cozy flannel sheets and Buster decided he wanted up. He's short. So he's jumping at the side of the bed - when he stands up he reaches to bottom of the bed frame - and barking. I reach down to pick him and he moves away. I don't know why he does this, but he does. He's a PITA that way.

Of course, all of my animals are jealous and I can't possibly pay attention to one without the other ones needing all my attention. So, while Buster is jumping and barking at the side of the bed and I'm attempting to get him, Jewel jumps up and gets in my lap. I sit up and am reaching over to pull Buster up and he skirts away again, so I leaned just a little further and Jewel nudged me with her nose like she does when she wants my attention.

I have balance issues. That doesn't pertain to just standing.

Jewel nudged me - gently - with her nose and off I went and I couldn't stop myself.

I managed to miss the sharp corner of the cedar chest - although I think I might have caught it with my right arm. I twisted around so at least I landed in the nice, soft, huge pile of pillows that I have there depending on what I need for any given night. My left arm swept everything off the night stand and slid all the way down it as I went down.

I end up in a U position. Laying back against the pillows, with my left arm in the air against the night stand and my legs twisted under the flannel sheets on the bed.

As I lay there in shock and moaning, still trying to comprehend what happened the dogs took off. They didn't want to be blamed for this. Nice to know they'll be around in an emergency.

Wynter finally hears me and comes in to help me up. I think I've managed to pull every muscle in my back. My left arm has this really nice purple bruise running the length of the underside. I've had nerve issues going on in my right arm in this flare and it's much more pronounced now.

But, the greatest indignity - besides being found in a heap on the floor, moaning....I peed. I don't mean I had to change my panties cause I leaked. I mean, I had to clean the carpet. :embarrassed:

Didn't I mention in another thread that my dogs run the house? My mom has decided that she's going to get Buster some steps so he can get on my bed by himself.

Sigh.....

Ok. Go ahead and laugh some more. I'll understand.

Lothlorien

I'm not laughing. I wanna cry for you. You must be aching all over. I fell last down a couple of stairs last week and I was in pain for several days. You don't need more pain. Go take a hot bath. I'd tell you to take some Advil, but a lot that'd do for you, heh?

F

flutterbee

Thanks, Loth. Yeah, NSAID's are like eating candy for me anymore. My doctor did give me an rx for Ponstel (another NSAID) cause I had taken it in the past and it made everything go away. I tried it today and it did nothing, but I think maybe the dose I had before was higher. Not sure. She had never heard of it and had to look it up in the PDR.

I think I am going to soak in the tub. I'm not looking forward to tomorrow. The day after is always worse.

I hope you're feeling better from your tumble.

mrscatinthehat

Seussical
Very gentle hugs. I didn't laugh however I was imagining the critters at your house may have especially considering they ran. Hope you aren't hurting extra.

beth

Steely

OMG..........so not laughing. Mainly because it sounds like something I would do. Something I have done.:faint:

I am SO sorry - dogs - really. They have their definite moments of needing a new home. I think my dogs would literally push me off the bed on purpose, just so they could have more room if I would let them. One of them when I get up in the middle of the night to pee, moves his entire 50 pound self to the warm spot in the bed where I was. Then I have to push him out of the way to get him back into the bed. What a pain in the rump he is.

Hugs and heal fast.
Steely

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Ok, the dogs' part in this - funny.

The part of you falling - not funny.

The stuck in a u-shape - kinda funny.

Generally, tho, I'm sorry! If you wern't dealing with all you are, I'd laugh. As it is, I just wanna come give you a big hug and say I'm sorry!!!!

Glad you found the humor in it, tho.

susiestar

Roll With It
I am SO not laughing, and didn't at ANY point. This is scary. You can really mess yourself up falling out of bed. PLEASE have your doctor order an in home safety assessment. You REALLY REALLY NEED it. There are things they can provide and/or teach you that can make this less traumatic. Not just walkers, but other stuff. I am not saying you need a walker, but maybe bed rails? Steps for the dog definitely. Something to put on the corners of the dresser, tables, etc would also be good.

Sending gentle hugs,

Susie

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Not laughing. I have 3 dogs remember. :D

Plus, I'm the sort of person who falls UP the steps and trips over curbs and small bumps in the sidewalk. I've no room to laugh.

The epsome salt bath is a good idea. Oh, and with the doggie steps....have your Mom keep the receipt. They aren't cheap and Travis got it for Betsy. She was either too dumb or indignant to ever use them. I wound up selling it in the yard sale last year.

((hugs))

KTMom91

No laughing here, either. I used to think those "I've fallen and I can't get up" commercials were funny...till I fell and broke my leg, and I couldn't get up. And, because I don't want you to feel alone, I'll admit it...I peed when I fell. A puddle's worth. Not fun.

Maybe if you put one of those plastic crates upside down, the dogs could use it for a step. Feel better soon!

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
Okay, I smiled, but not a full out belly laugh....... I'm thinking bed on the floor or one of those large dog beds on the floor by your bed...... whether the dogs use it at least you might have a shot at a soft landing........ also washable dog covers available........ oh my....... hope you can recover without too much discomfort.......

trinityroyal

Awww Heather.
Not laughing here either.

A hot bath with epsom salts, ice packs for any swelling or heat packs if there is no swelling but you still have pain.

I second Susie's suggestion that you get a full in-home safety assessment, and find out what tools are available to help you.

Sending many gentle hugs.
Trinity

susiestar

Roll With It
My in-laws had to work with their little bitty dog to teach her how to use the pet stairs. She was fine with the regular stairs in their house, but fully confused by the little doggy steps. They put her on her leash and used treats to lead her up and down them (she has a hereditary risk of some back problem and the doctor doesn't want ehr jumping off beds, so down was just as important as up). It took a couple of short sessions, but she got the hang of them pretty quick, and she is no rocket scientist.

I hope you are not too sore today AND that you are calling the doctor about the safety assessment.

F

flutterbee

Well, you guys are nicer than I am. I would have laughed. When people fall down it's *funny*. Why do you think AFV has been so successful?

Honestly, I can't help it. Once I've found out that the person is ok, I laugh. My mom thinks it's a nervous reaction.

I'm actually much better today than I thought I would be. I thought I wouldn't be able to move today. I'm a bit sore, but not stiff like I thought I would be. Even though the Ponstel didn't do anything for the pain last night, maybe the anti-inflammatory was enough to keep things from getting too bad.

If I had an in home assessment, they'd make me get rid of my animals. They're a tripping hazard. And what would they do about the walls that jump out in front of me.

I did look it up and found some good tips that I hadn't thought about. Then I found some more really good tips for things to post like in each room - which I thought would be really good because I have a tendency, for example, to forget oven mitts and pull things out of the oven. Then I realized I was reading the part about aging people with dementia. I quit reading then. Actually, though, most of what it mentioned I already have in place.

I think I am going to move the cedar chest to the end of the bed. It will give me more room between the bed and the wall and if I do fall out of bed again, I won't have to worry about hitting it. Maybe spread that pile of pillows out a bit for a soft landing....

Abbey

Spork Queen
Hey...you're talking to the clutz queen. I'm sleeping on an inflatable bed that is maybe not a foot high and I fall out of that darn thing on a regular basis. On a good day, I just roll out of it onto the floor then try to figure out how to get up off the floor. Toss in the old age bladder issue and it's a sprint to the bathroom.

Hope you're feeling ok.

Abbey