Advent Bags

Andy

I put together an Advent bag for Diva. 24 items almost all under $2 (most about $1 or less). I wrapped each item in tissue paper (red, gold, white) and placed them in a Christmas bag. Starting Dec 1st, she gets to open one package per day. They are not in any order so she gets to choose each day which package looks the most interesting.

Items are box of kleenex, box of hot cocoa, individual hot cocoa, finger nail clippers, make up brushes, note pads, finger nail colors, ect. Very fun to put together.

Now I decided I should get one together for difficult child. Do you know how hard it is to find dollar items for a 14 year old boy? I don't want to over do it with candy. I have found some personal hygeine items (shampoos, ect), deck of cards, a dollar store nutcracker (he collects them) a box of cocoa, and gloves, and a hat (yes, both under $2). I think I have about 15 items. I will wrap and count and go out tomorrow to find more things but what are small every day practicle dollar priced things for boys this age?

20 year old girls living on their own are definitely easier to shop for then 14 year old boys.

I am blessed that both kids will enjoy the bag for the fun of the unknown and will not complain if it does not live up to their expectations.

H

HaoZi

Combs, travel sized cologne (travel/sample items in general might be a good place to look). You could burn him a mix CD of music he likes. Does he have any pets? Still like Matchbox cars? Have any hobbies you could get small supplies for?

witzend

M was totally into body washes and stuff at that point. HaoZi's idea of travel/sample sizes is really good!

DammitJanet

Small box of colored pens or pencils
those popper thinks that you throw on the ground that snap. (I know, annoying but he is a boy)
silly string
glow in the dark anything

trinityroyal

Andy, what a lovely Advent idea. I was thinking of getting the 2 older boys the Lego mini figure advent calendars, but I might borrow your idea instead. Much more personal.

Andy

Thank you everyone for the wonderful ideas! Trinity - difficult child loved the lego advent calendar. I think we did it about 2 years ago.

Being Diva's first Holiday living away from home, I wanted to give her something to make it through December. She is still in that early stage of loving being on her own but also a tad homesick. She also is still not comfortable being at her home alone (when the downstairs tenant is gone) but I know many women who are not comfortable overnight alone so she may never grow out of that one? I already have a huge bag full of winter items (plates, table cloths, bowls, etc.) waiting for her to open on the first snowfall she gets. Snowmen items to decorate her kitchen for the winter. I figured an advent calendar would help keep her from the temptation of opening her winter gift too early.

It was so much fun putting Diva's together that I figured I should do one for difficult child.

LittleDudesMom

Andy, I love that idea!

I know my difficult child would appreciate batteries, cool pen, cool eraser, little flashlight, dollar or 50 cent piece....

Sharon

svengandhi

I have a dumb question. My 6th grader learned the Latin word "adventium" in this week's vocabulary chapter. The derivative was advent, which I know means the beginning. My son then said that some of his classmates said they would be celebrating advent and he asked me what it is. Being Jewish and never having heard of it before, I assume it's a Christian holiday, but what is it? I told him we'd look it up but asking here seems like a better idea. The little bags that you made up are similar to what I do for my kids for Hanukah - little teeny gifts for each of the nights and then one bigger one (lately, it's been a family gift).

Thanks.

klmno

I like those really small boxed gifts you find near the cashier at large bookstores- I have used them for teachers' gifts, stocking stuffers for difficult child, etc. Origami kits, Zen Garden, jigsaw puzzles, bonsai starter kit, and a bunch more. They might be more than $1-2 but they are inexpensive- all under $10.

Andy

Advent is more of a season than a holiday in itself. It celebrates the coming of Jesus. Some churches hold Advent services for 4 weeks before Christmas. Ours is on Wednesday nights.

I find it interesting that the Eastern Orthodox church celebrates Advent for 40 days instead of the four weeks. 40 days is an important number for christians. It was the number of days of the flood as well as being the number of days Jesus was in the desert before his Tempation, and the number of days for Lent (if I remember right).

And Advent calendar helps children count down the days until Jesus' birth. I remember making paper chains in elementary school to cut one off each day and now the chocolate calendars are a favorite though I find them difficult to find in our small town - only two stores offer them that I know of.

Mattsmom277

What a great idea! Think I may have to borrow it too! My cousin does this too, but it started out as a gift for Dec. from "Snickers". She created this elf Snickers as a special elf who would sneak something into a special bag hung by the tree, overnight something would appear. Her son loved this growing up. Every few days there'd be a personal note from Snickers, usually saying clean your room for your mom and the like HAHA. She still does it for him and he's 14 now too.

Some good ideas here ... how about picking up just a few extra special things, not too pricey but more than the things listed, wrapped in a special distinctive paper, and on a specific night each week, he is to choose from those ones, say Friday's. Could be a video rental certificate or game rental. I can usually find second hand games and dvd's at a few local pawn shops for about $5. Or a gift card for $5 for iTunes if he downloads music. Could do the same for a new ringtone if he has a cell phone. I found a cool ipod cover for Matt's ipod touch for only $1.50 (regular about $20).

Thanks again for this idea, I am loving it. The wheels in my head are spinning thinking of things for Matt and Jessica. I'm on a mission now the more I think of the idea lol

DammitJanet

I have got to find those chocolate advent calendars myself. I cant afford to do these bags for my grandkids. Can you imagine 5 bags even at 1 buck a piece X' 24 pieces in each bag! Yikes! I mean if I do it for Keyana I have to send her bag to her grandma Linda's house which means I really have to send 2 other bags for her brothers. Then I have to send two more up to the other kids. I just need those chocolate open up calendars...cheaper!

trinityroyal

Not sure whether it's a Canadian thing, but Walmart and all the discount grocery stores carry the chocolate Advent calendars. And they usually have ones at $0.99 each as well as the more expensive ones. In our local Walmart they are in the seasonal section, along with all the very tempting Christmas candies.

janebrain

Well, I am stealing your idea!! I love it! I have always gotten my kids the advent calendars but stopped doing it for my son when he grew up. M is in Ecuador so I won't get her one this year and I am sending one to E. But now I think I will make up the bags as well--E is living with a family that includes girls who are 9, 13, and 14 yrs old. I am so grateful to this family for taking E in and changing her whole life and what a fun way for them to celebrate the season. Thank you!!
Jane

Mattsmom277

The chocolate ones are everywhere here too, from $0.99 up to at most $4-5 if you buy a licensed product (Toy Story, Spiderman, Disney Princess etc). We get them every year.

svengandhi

Thank you. I asked my friend last night and she said the weeks leading up to Christmas. I asked my husband (a lapsed Catholic) and he said it was the period between Christmas and Lent. I guess I know why he's lapsed!