And now...

nvts

If they haven't towed it yet, try popping it into neutral and see if you can start it then...

Just a thought! Oh, yeah...sometimes the steering wheel needs to be turned to disengage a safety lock. Try turning the steering wheel while turning the key!

I've learned a lot driving crappy cars! :)

Beth

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
nvts is right. Both tricks usually work for me. Mine is almost always the steering wheel doing it. If it works it's much cheaper than being towed.

Hugs

donna723

Do you mean the key won't turn, or that it doesn't start when you turn the key?

My last car had the key with the chip in it and one day it wouldn't start when I turned the key. For some reason the ignition wasn't reading the little chip in the key so the car wouldn't start. My son, the car genius, taught me a trick to try if it does that - this sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. Turn the key to the "On" position, where the things on the dash (radio, clock, etc.) come on but not all the way over like you were starting the engine. Turn it to "On" and just leave it like that for 20-30 minutes, then try to start the car. Sometimes if you're lucky, doing this will cause the little computerized dooies in there to reset themselves and the car will start right up.

I only wish my son had told me this BEFORE I paid the $80 to have the car towed to the dealership and not AFTER!

flutterby

Fly away!
The ignition won't turn even a little. It just won't budge. It started doing this last summer, just out of the blue. I was finally able to get it turned then. It's been doing it a little here and there, but I would take the key out, flip it around and it worked.

Tow truck driver couldn't get it either. It was interesting to watch them load a car that is in park. Can't get the car out of park if it's not running.

nvts

Alas...there is unfortunately a time that comes when we must throw ourselves upon the hood, pump it roughly with our clasped hands screaming "breathe, damn you, breathe" and eventually give up...

(I once did this on my '65 Chrysler Imperial...it didn't do any good for the car, but I felt better!).

Sorry about the car Heather...that kind of thing stinks.

Beth

DammitJanet

LOL Beth...the image!

I once took a small 2" pocket knife and stabbed the dashboard of my car when it failed to start. I had cussed it out repeatedly and threatened it with all sorts of things. After stabbing it, it started right up! LOL

Sorry about the car Heather. Try stabbing it!

flutterby

Fly away!
Other than this and the power steering belt that needs replaced, which is just a maintenance thing, there is nothing wrong with the car.

easy child had just taken it yesterday and changed the oil and rotated the tires for me.