any tips on what to bring to eligibility mtg trmw

Jena

hi!

so i was just wondering if anyone could give me any tips on any other documentation i might of forgotten for my difficult children' eligibility mtg tomorrow for an iep.

i have past diagnosis's all in writing as well as current. school tested her that was a joke by the way she's all good according to them. i also have printed out a few things giving some pyscho education info on BiPolar (BP) and anxiety disorder comorbitiy can't spell and stuff. i have copies of her nurses visits and typed all that up to show how many times.

i've made copies of everything for everyone in room for tmrw so i can pass out when it's my turn to speak i have also highlighted all important parts so they can skim through.

i think i'm going to start by passing out previous diagnosis's (copies) current diagnosis's and treatment provider letters. than some pyscho ed stuff ( minimal). than wrap it up with her nurse visits number of interventions done at school linking them all to the swings that go on and have.

dadside

Just remember there are two things required for eligibility. One is that she have one or more specified conditions - and you seem to have that covered. The other is that because of the specified condition(s) she needs special education services in order to achieve at/near her potential. That raises the question of the testing the school did. The tests should have been standardized tests of her inteligence and achievement. The intelligence types should have several subcategories, not just an overall result. If you don't have the right kind of test info, you won't reach the right conclusion - and can't properly identify the kinds of services she needs.

Superpsy

I agree with dadside. It sounds like you have the disability condition side of things covered. The part that may be missing is documentation showing a negative educational impact (this can be lots of things...grades, standardized testing, absences because of behavior or health etc. etc.).

Martie

do not use the words "best" anything. You will get "Rowleyed." You have to show "negative educational impact" and you hsould use those words. Most obvious are suspensions or expulsions, failing a class or grade, and steeply falling grades. Going from A's to C's won't be considered negative enough--and this works against EBD kids who are good students bec. parents obviously are frantic while waiting for "enough" negative impact.

Martie