Anybody know about printers?

donna723

This thing is driving me up the wall! I have the HP laptop and bought the little HP wireless printer to go with it. I've let it sit in the box for months and right when my brother was coming over to help me set it up, my modem went out and I had no internet for five days. So a few days ago when I finally got my internet back, I got brave enough to try to set it up. It seemed to go well enough, I put in the little disk and did everything it said to. It all looks very simple. I bought the thing mainly to use the scanner to scan in the hundreds of old family pictures I have and use some of them on my Tree on Ancestry.com. So I tried it out and it copies and prints just fine. And when I tried to scan a picture, it seemed to go OK, but when I went back in to it, the pictures were gone, but I finally found them. They didn't go into "Pictures", they went in to "Documents" into a folder called "Scans" and they're ina PDF format that you can only open with Adobe. What I usually do with pictures is to download them to "Pictures", then go to picnik.com to crop and edit them. You cannot do this as those picture editing sites do not recognize the format.

This is all waaaay over my head so I called the HP number for help, got the little guy in Pakistan (or where ever) with the accent so thick you can hardly understand him. Soooo frustrating when you can't understand what they're saying! He went in to my computer remotely and changed some things around and said that from now on it should scan them into the Pictures folders and in a format that I can actually use. He did one scan remotely and it worked just fine. Got off the line with him and I tried it ...I pushed the scan button and ... NOTHING! Pushed the "Scan" button again and it made a copy of the picture and shot it out at me! And there was my mother's Aunt Mary and her cousin Stanley smiling up at me from the paper tray! Every time I try it, it either does nothing or it makes a copy of the #&% picture instead of scanning it in to the computer! I'm so frustrated I could just cry and I feel like drop kicking the thing across the back yard. It shouldn't be this hard! The 78-page manual I printed off is no help either. It just says to put the picture on the glass face down and push the "Scan" button! Well, thanks a lot, folks! That really helps! I absolutely HATE the thought of having to call those people who don't speak English again! Does anybody have any bright ideas or have you ever contended with a printer problem like this? It's just a very simple, supposedly uncomplicated (meaning=cheap!) printer. That big "THUMP" you hear is me beating my head against the wall!

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
One of the boys is due home from work soon so I will ask him.

We have a tech guy that works for our compay and I learned never ever ever hang up or let him leave the building without me doing whatever the problem was on my own while he is standing there. Its a rare occasion he ever gets to actually leave or hang up without tweeking one more thing

HP has a website where you can ask questions about what you are having a problem with - I have only ever used HP printers because usually they are so reliable cept for the last one I bought which no one can understand how the scanner works, its set it self up that it has 50 users, and want me to pay a license fee, so in essence I have a $3,000 high speed printer :(

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
What is the model number and if the manual is online I will happily take a look at it...... Usually you can scan to "file" and that sends it to a file you select. Is there a separate button for scan, and one for copy?

H

HaoZi

Did you download the HP Photosmart program? Use that and go into the "Get picture from scanner" option.

donna723

I only downloaded the software on the disk that came with the printer. I already downloaded the entire 78-page manual and it's no help at all. It says very little about scanning, just to put the picture face down and push the button. And for "Troubleshooting", it tells you to turn it off and then on again! Somewhere there must be someplace where you can change the format that it saves the pictures to! I swear, technology HATES me!

flutterby

Fly away!
Search your printer model and number on youtube. They have a lot of "how to" videos on there. It saved my printer/copier/scanner that I thought my cat had killed.

flutterby

Fly away!
Ok. This video isn't the greatest, but it seems to show that instead of clicking the Scan button on the printer, the user clicked on the HP Solution Center, clicked Scan to File, then got to choose the file type. You probably want a .jpg or .jpeg file. Let me know if this helps.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Donna -

Did you get this resolved? Or can I complicate matters for you?

I KNEW something was going to be askew when that Spanish Mouse at the instructions!