Anyone else cringe when they hear sirens??

JJJ

I know it isn't very realistic but every time I hear sirens when Tigger is at school, I cringe and say a quick prayer that they aren't for him. Logically, the school doesn't involve the police alot with the little kids -- they've only called them once on Tigger and that was because he ran from the school.

But I still cringe...

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
...On my way home from wherever, hear sirens... Hope they aren't for Onyxx... I may never get over that...

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Not yet! Although when I'm NOT at home and I hear sirens in our town, I have a little PTSD flashback of the wildfires we had two years ago and worry about my house/neighborhood. I can appreciate how you feel.

lmf64

Yes I do that too. The other thing is every time the phone rings I check the id to see who it is, if it is the school (every number has the same prefix for the district and they're the only ones who use that prefix) I cringe. Yesterday I picked my nephew up from preschool and as we were waiting for the class to get out the superintendent walked into the classroom and I cringed thinking oh no are we going to start with this one while he's not even old enough to start kindergarten.

DammitJanet

I get ptsd every time I hear a siren, every time I see an ambulance, every time I hear about a wreck. Just two days ago on my way home from somewhere, I rounded the bend on my road. Flashing lights everywhere. Cops and firetrucks, ambulances pulling away. I really couldnt get a good look at the cars involved. As I inched my way around the scene the first thing I did was reach for my cell and call home, "everybody there and accounted for?" Yep.

shellyd67

Sirens bug me right out, especially if husband and the kids are out somewhere. My heart sinks until I know they are home safe and sound.

H

HaoZi

My first reaction is "I didn't do it." My second reaction is "I hope my kid didn't do it, either." However, when we're both at home, our reactions are to run to the window and see which way they're headed. It's a small town, we don't get much excitement here (other than what kiddo creates!), and because the back building of our complex is where the handicapped and elderly are, there's always a chance the flashing lights will turn in here. Sometimes there's domestic issues, like the very pregnant neighbor that got mad at her boyfriend and had him outside in a headlock on the ground.
The good thing here is that you can go online and listen to the local emergency scanner and hear all the police traffic and whatnot.

DammitJanet

Wow Haozi...I would love to be able to listen to the scanners. Around here they have gone digital and you cant do that anymore.

I have to admit I am a rubbernecker. If I see something happening, especially nearby, I will go and look...lol.

H

HaoZi

I was surprised to find out you could listen online, every other place I've lived police scanners are illegal.

M

Mamaof5

I cringe for two types of sirens: Fire Truck and Ambulance sirens. Both of which I've had bad experiences with. Particularly fire trucks. I get anxious, nervous and do the "doe caught in the headlight" thing. Smoke alarms do this to me too. I have an unnerving huge phobia of fire or a potential fire (fire hazards included).

JJJ

Sometimes I have to laugh at myself...this morning it was 3 fire trucks and 2 ambulances...do I really think he's caused that big a commotion??? lol

M

Mamaof5

Sometimes I have to laugh at myself...this morning it was 3 fire trucks and 2 ambulances...do I really think he's caused that big a commotion??? lol

If that had been me that would have been a nervous break down for me. I would have been in the fetal position laying in the empty bathtub on the second floor of my house reapeating either OMG or no,no, no with my hands over my ears. I'm being serious, that would have been a mental deal breaker for me. Thankfully, (well not so much thankfully for medical emergencies) we only have two working ambulances and 3 fire trucks in this town (the classic oldie from the 50's they have on display only comes out 2x a year for festivals).

The Santa parade is a hard thing to be at for me because the fire department participates as well as the emergency response and police with sirens blaring loudly all the way. Maybe it's a sensory thing for me as well as the phobia of fire and potential fire\fire hazards. I think Wevil has given me a complex with her pyromania issues from last summer...

H

HaoZi

What makes me cringe the most is that sound she makes when she gets frustrated with something. She's getting better about sorting it out or asking for help, but I got so used to those sounds leading to a meltdown that I briefly vapor lock myself when I hear it and have to pull myself back.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
What makes me cringe the most is that sound she makes when she gets frustrated with something. She's getting better about sorting it out or asking for help, but I got so used to those sounds leading to a meltdown that I briefly vapor lock myself when I hear it and have to pull myself back.

Vapor lock... That's a good one... That's exactly it!!!!!