Anyone have degeneration in the knees?

BusynMember

I just found out I do. I was working out and one knee was bothering me a lot so the doctor took an x-ray. I'm really mad because I work out every day...I've had to slow down to just using the bicycle and have physical therapy tomorrow. I wonder if I'll need surgery for this. I'm all for it if it will allow me to exercise hard again. This is my first "old age" problem...lol. I've always been EXTREMELY lucky, health-wise (knocking on wood here, aware it could change on a dime). What kind of exercises are good to do if you can't put too much stress on your knees? Any insight, suggestions? All are appreciated. Thanks :wink:

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
I had surgery on my left knee about 12 years ago and in the past couple of years it's been bothering me again. I saw my ortho and they did an MRI (about a month ago) and he came to me with a grim look on his face. I was dying inside because I thought I'd have to have surgery again. Not so - yet!

He looked deep into my eyes and said those words that every mid-40 year old woman hates to hear...."At your age...."

I heard nothing else he said because in my head there was a lot of screaming going on!!

I think he said something about the beginning of degenerative something or other, but that right now it looks like I just have some, ugh, ARTHRITIS, going on.

I asked H to take me out back and just shoot me.

DammitJanet

LOL....

I have such bad knees that they need replacing but Im trying to hold on till I get older because if I do it now then they will just have to be replaced twice if I live that long. My doctor doesnt like to do them at my age and my weight to be honest.

My knees have been scoped though and they scraped out as much junk as they could and they have given me shots of this stuff made out of rooster combs three times. There are different names for it. The ones I get are a series of 5 shots each. Such fun! I really cant say that they help a whole hell of a lot but Im still upright.

If you arent too far gone they may be able to be a big help. That and they new medication Limbrel.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Janet - are your knees CROWING? snort - sorry could NOT help myself.

MWM - DF has had both ACL's replaced, had back surgery, became overweight/obese and it's hurting his knees more.

He wraps them with ace wraps - and puts ice on them when they are really sore.

I'm so sorry you have to go through it - I know it's painful - get a good ortho. surgeon and keep him on the back burner.

Take care of yourself
Star

ps. I have it on good authority that walking around at 3:00 AM, bouncing and singing to a new grandchild does NOT make your knees hurt - somehow you forget about the pain. lol

Abbey

Spork Queen
I have arthritis in my knees and elbows. Pleasant side effect of taking high dosages of Prednisone.

Abbey

DammitJanet

Star....We wouldnt know if it was my knees crowing or the roosters out in the side yard!

When they told us what was in the shots, Tony asked them if we could have a discount if we brought in our own rooster combs...lmao.

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
I think the best exercises that would eleviate stress on your knees would be some type of WATER aerobics. Don't know how helpful that is if you don't have access to a pool......good luck with your 'ole knees!

BusynMember

LOL, thanks guys. Some of you made me howl with laughter. I'm not overweight, but I'm going to try to lose more weight. The less the ole knees have to carry, the better...lol. I'm going to ask the Physical Therapist which type of exercise to do. I HATE SWIMMING!!! I'll do it if I have to, but pools bug me. We have one at the "Y", but when you just come in from the outdoors, and you live in Wisconsin and it's 20 degrees, you aren't in the mood to swim, even though it's hot in the pool room. At least, I'm not.
If it would help me, I'm all for surgery. However, I'd be a rotten patient. I hate being tied down.
Thanks for the replies :wink:

everywoman

Okay---resident bad knees expert here---
First artho right knee)---2002.
Second (left knee---June 2007
Third (right knee---August 2007

doctor said---You will need replacements---Severe degeneration in both. I'm still hobbling around---trying to wait until 50--I just turned 45.

I am not overweight.
Degeneration is genentic.

PCdaughter had her first surgery at 16. She had resurfacing done which helps to rebuild damaged cartlidge--but the only do that for young people!!!

MWM,

my knees are HORRIBLE. Old football injuries (not kidding, lol) compounded by excess weight. I can't bend them to save my soul.

As far as exercises, the pool is the best because there is no strain. Aerobics, walking, running, stairmasters...all put a lot of stress on the knee. An elliptical is not nearly as stressing to the knee. Or something like one of those "gazelles" that that guy Jake sells.

Just tossing out suggestions. Sorry about your knees; I know it hurts.