Anyone watch Paul McKenna?

It's a new show on TLC. Just premiered tonight. It's called "I can make you thin".

I watched it. Very promising! Looks like it is a 5 week series, every Sunday night.

More information at www.tlc.com/thin

Thought I'd pass it along (I have not been doing too well on my own...)

N

Nomad

I watched it and thought it was okay. I'll have to look at the website when I get a chance. I received a few phone calls while it was on and missed some of it.

I liked some of the ideas I saw. I don't believe in deprivation. I think we should eat when we are hungry and we should enjoy the foods we like. I like his suggestion to eat slowly and to pay attention/be aware of fullness.

However, I do believe in portion control and exercise. I also don't believe in keeping large quantities of tempting, high calorie foods in the home (especially all at once). If I recall correctly, he suggested that folks pick up their top five favorite foods and purchase them. in my humble opinion, this would depend on what those items were. And of course, how much of the food would be purchased. If all five were candy, I don't really see the point in doing this. in my humble opinion, what often happens is even if we have the best of intentions, if we experience stress, we will reach for those favorite high calorie foods if they are readily available. Therefore, it is probably wise to only keep small portions in the home at any given time.

That is a good point!

He did say that next week's segment would be dealing with emotional eating. Perhaps that would address some of our needs to bust open the M&Ms...

Star*

call 911........call 911
I'm watching belly dancing on Fit TV -

Gosh they are right - I do the moves those girls do and my BELLY DOES dance.

KTMom91

I watched it...hope it works, and works soon. #2 is getting married in May, and I want to look good for his wedding...with the flu I haven't been to the gym in at least a month.

LittleDudesMom

Never heard of it but his stuff really sounds a lot like WW. The reason I chose WW when I decided it "was time", was because I could eat the things I enjoy. Everything has a portion size. If I've learned anything in the last eight weeks, it's portion control and the relationship between fat, fiber and calories when looking at the "health" factors of food.

If I were honest, I would have to say that I cut my caloric intake in half. Kind of embarrassing, but we're being honest right?

Sharon

OK, so I watched the program, and tried his 4 suggestions. The first 2 were easy!

1-when you are hungry, eat.
2-eat what you want.

The third is tougher than I thought!

3-eat consciously.

No TV, no reading, no distractions. When Tink is at school, I ALWAYS plop myself on the couch and eat while watching TV. I made a point of sitting at the table with the TV off, but I kept wanting to grab a magazine to read! I felt like "OMG, I am wasting time just EATING, I should be doing SOMETHING". Isn't that sad?

But when I did do it that way, I was able to do the fourth.

4-when you are full, stop.

I was able to read the cue. I just have to keep literally forcing myself to sit at that table with the TV off.

That's a shame, that it is so tough for me.

KTMom91

I watched again last night, and he explained about tapping on acupressure points to calm your stress before grabbing food. Since emotional eating is my big thing, I took notes! Haven't been that stressed though since last night, so I don't know how well it works, but I'm sure I'll get a chance to try it since this is Miss KT's last day on Easter break, and she just informed me she has a term paper due Friday...and of course, there has been no research or notes taken on the subject. I may be tapping little holes in my face and on my hands...

I haven't seen the show. What are the acupressure points we're supposed to tap on to calm us during stressful situations? What else did he have to say about emotional eating? WFEN

Loving Abbey 2

Not really a Newbie
I caught it at the tail end, where he was doing the tapping with a couple. About halfway through the tapping I got confused as to where I was tapping. There were too many steps, then adding in some counting every once in a while. I'm a smart woman but that was just too much. If you got a shortened version that is simplier than I would consider trying that. But what I saw last night (again only the end) was just confusing.

Michelle

I did see it. He said if you are in a stressful situation that makes you want to go for your secret stash, stop and think, on a scale of 1-10, how badly do you want that chocolate / bag of chips / popcorn / candy / whatever?

He said, start tapping under your eye (cheekbone). Move to your collarbone, then back under your eye.

Then tap the side of your hand (where your thumb is meaty). While you are tapping there, keep your head still. Now you are going to do short brain exercises. Look down to the left, then down to the right. Then move your eyes a complete 360* circle. Then switch direction. All the while still tapping and keeping your head still. It sounds goofy, but it works. Keep tapping...now count to 5. Then hum a tune for about 10 seconds (you are switching from left to right brain activity) then count to 5 again. he then said to go back to tapping cheekbone, then collarbone, back to cheekbone.

I had also seen him tap the back of his hand (right at the wrist bone) and under his lip / right above the chin, and he said the exact order did not matter.

Now he says ask yourself what number 1-10 do you want that stash now? I used this once already. I also use his techniques from last week. They are WORKING!!

Thanks for the info BBK. It sounds strange, but I can't knock it until I try it!!! And, I'm open to just about anything... I'll have to try to remember to tune in to his show.

I'm really happy that his methods are working for you!!! Keep up the excellent work!!! WFEN