At the end of my rope

Lil

I know nothing about Virginia. But I do know Kansas Child Support can send the case there to be established or enforced or both. Get to that office if you haven't yet. Call them about once a week if you have.

I couldn't believe the kids weren't covered! Thank heaven's I misunderstood that. I wish I could help with your coverage, but Missouri also wouldn't cover a working adult.

BusynMember

We moved out of the Chicago area because we hated it and the cost of living was very high do I understand. You never answered ifyou have Head start. You should not have tklay for childcare. I hope you utilize food banks.

Wisconsin covers low income adults with minor children. Or they used to.

ksm

Dear ThinkPurple...

I hear your pain... THanks Brownback!! (Our governor, who won't expand Medicaid benefits...because...you know...Obama...and tax cuts for businesses...and trickle down theories)

Absolutely asinine that a working mother with 4 kids can't be eligible for help.

Keep calling...calling...calling...someone has got to have some ideas. Where is the local mental health facility? Ours has a crisis staff...for people that have a mental crisis, threatens suicide, etc.

Get a notebook, make a list of everyone you have called. Call The KS branch of NAMI. Maybe they will have ideas, plus they have classes you can take for free. See if there is a Circles Of Hope in your area. They can help you connect with community services.

If the children have a medical card, they have mental health benefits. Call the number on the back of the card and ask for help. I live in KS and both my teen girls got a case management team, and during the "crisis" time they had a person that met with them each week. Respite care was discussed, but I didn't feel the need. We had private insurance, but we qualified for the medical card based on their needs.

Keep the notebook going, plus, keep a calendar of the children's behaviors. See if you have a Head Start or similar program for the younger children.

Keep in touch with this forum. KSM

ThinkPurple

@ksm Yes, I do not know anyone that likes Brownback. He's a sleaze.

Re: Mental health, the oldest has case management, or at least he did. His case manager hasn't seen him in a while because of the pooping issue. They can't deal with it. He was going to a day program also, but, again, the pooping was something they can't deal with. I am going to look into circles of hope and NAMI. Thank you for those!

Re: Younger two, they were accepted into a preschool run by the school district. They were tested early this year and should start in August. If school starts, anyway.

ksm

@ksm
Re: Mental health, the oldest has case management, or at least he did. His case manager hasn't seen him in a while because of the pooping issue. They can't deal with it. He was going to a day program also, but, again, the pooping was something they can't deal with. I am going to look into circles of hope and NAMI. Thank you for those!

We had to have case mgt team meetings every three months. I would call the top person on the team and comp,sin that they are not bring compliant with the case mgt plan. Also push for respite care. See if you can't get case management for the 6 year old.

Does the doctor have any ideas on the bm problem? Can he wear pull-ups?

I really hope you can get more help...you need some room to breath... KSM

susiestar

Roll With It
First of all, learn one thing: The squeaky wheel gets the grease, and the squeaky mouse gets the cheese. Start with child support enforcement and be that squeaky wheel. Call them every week, or if you think they are just blowing you off, every day. Call Medicaid for the kids and demand they treat your son - incl the pooping issue. Tehy can't deal with it and they are the professionals, how can you??

Second thing: Get your info organized. Follow the link in my signature and read about our Parent Report. in my opinion it was the second most important tool I had. My refusal to be ignored was the most important. Without a PReport, I would have not had nearly what I needed to make the professionals in all the MANY fields listen to me. I had to know what we had already done in order to move forward, and with each new person wanting to start over with things we had already done, my son would have been old and dead before they got to anything new. So I had to know if we had tried that medication and what it had done, or at least I had to be able to find the info super fast in an appointment, Know what I mean??

Third thing, do not be afraid, ashamed or too proud to show them your tears and how overwhelmed you are. Trust me, if you cannot handle your kids and they have any kind of problems, social services is NOT going to take them with-o overwhelming signs of abuse. Why not? They already know they cannot do any better than you can. They threatened to take my kids and when I asked why they gave some mealy mouthed exuse, then they spoke to a couple of teachers and backpedaled real fast - and my kids did not cause any real problems in school other than being smarter than their teachers and being bored. AT home it was a whole other issue, but after a few minor stories about my oldest, social services could not get away from the whole 'we will take them away' nonsense. Of course I was lucky enough to have parents and inlaws that would have sued them until kingdom come if they had taken my kids, but that never even entered the equation. I had just asked for help and residential treatment because my older child was torturing my younger two until they truly feared for their lives and so did the rest of us. It is different if you ASK for their help rather than them being called by someone else because something happened.

I also found out about a LOT of programs that NO ONE wanted me to know about. Why? BEcause I might tell other parents and then more people would know and send kids to them. HOw is that logic? No idea but it is what I was told when I was asked to give up my copy of a list that someone had given me. I did give it up, but I had copies at home and a digital copy on my computer, so I had no problem letting them have a copy, did they want it on pink, blue or bright green paper? Yes, I did ask that question. No, they did not find it funny but I did, and still do, esp thinking about how the man's face got so red. Plus, I gave a copy to my kids therapist, one of the top therapists in town who didn't know of most of the programs because they were hidden from common knowledge. She heard about them asking for the list back and then gave one to every therapist she knew - and she knew almost all of them.

How did I get the list? I sat down with a phone book and a yellow legal pad of paper. I wrote the name of the person - be it a therapist, a reverend/pastor/priest/rabbi, social worker, or other person. I wrote their phone number and then I called them. I told them our story (nutshell version - violent older child with autism hurting younger siblings and need serious help), often complete with tears as I was past frustrated. I asked if they knew of any programs or of anyone who would know of a program and then I wrote any info they could give me down. Then I called those people/programs or the next person in the phone book who might know of any programs and told our story and asked if they could help or knew of anyone who could.

I filled that legal pad and another one, but I got a list of people and programs and got to, of all people, the school resource officer (cop stationed at the jr high) who gave me that list.

I ended up not needing that info, but I have kept the memory of how I found it so that it might help others. One place that surprised me was the medicaid card number. I had already called a bunch of people that day, so the tears were close and I probably sounded like I was about at the end of my rope. But the lady I spoke to was horrified by our story and that our psychiatrist had not sent my son inpatient for more than a weekend at a time. She arranged a bed at an inpatient hospital that was geared to take kids for long periods of time, not just a few days like most. My son was inpatient for 4 months and it helped. Lots! Of course I bullied the doctor until he just got used to me being there for the weekly meetings, otherwise I never would have seen him because he 'didn't DO parents" in the staff's words. Yeah, not really his option with me. The weekly meeting started at 6 am to discourage parents from coming, so I showed up half an hour early with donuts. Then I insisted he not mumble so that I could hear, and I spoke up with my Parent Report info when he wanted to trial a medication that had reacted badly. You could say the man could not stand me. I could not have cared less. The donuts, or fresh homemade muffins baked that morning before my 80 min drive for that 6 am meeting, made me a hit with the rest of the staff. The nurses loved that I showed up not just for therapy each week (which many parents had to do by phone), but also for visits at least 2x a week. I bake when stressed, and those months were HARD, so I often took overflow to the staff. Kids could not have anything not pre packaged, but the staff thought I handled stress WONDERFULLY, lol!

If you get the right person when you call medicaid via the number on the card, you might have better results. I would keep calling. I would also find out who is in charge of the case mgr and whatever genius told you that they couldn't handle the pooping issue, and I would call their top boss. Not their supervisor, whomever is the top of the state agency or medical center or whatever. Because telling you that they, the professionals, cannot handle this is just, well, the stuff that falls out of the back of a bull.

One way to look at being that squeaky wheel is that the people in child support enforcement and other places you call will get tired of talking to you. I used to get irritated at something a kid did and then I would pick up the phone and call whatever number I was squeaking at. I figured if I had to be irritated then I could spread the wealth. I was rarely ever rude, because it got nothing for us and because it seemed to irritate some of them when I was nice to them. Which the ODD in me finds amusing, sadly. I swear there were numbers I called more than daily for things, because I figured that if I bugged them enough they would get my stuff taken care of sooner because I was NOT going away.

ThinkPurple

SO an update to the saga.

I had called around asking about help and whatnot. And someone called social services on me. Reported that my twins' floor was covered in feces (not true, although they had gotten into chocolate pudding today). So social services and the cops show up. And I'm explaining everything to them. ANd they look around the house, and under my son's bed he had been leaving his dirty poopy briefs.

And SRS took my 3 year old twins. Said if it was just the rest of the house it would have been okay, but because of my son's room it wasn't a safe place for them to be.

I've begged for help with him for months now. ANd they couldn't do anything?? My twins are temporarily with my sister until Monday when they can come back out and check his room again, but the cop said since he was here he has to file with the district attorney.

ksm

I am so sorry you are going thru all this. Glad that they let your sister take the twins, though.

Keep us posted...

KSM

ThinkPurple

Everything was fine come Monday house wise. However, in the midst of cleaning his room, 10 year old had a fit and threw the trash can meaning I had to start over. Monday at the advice of social services we took him to the er for an evaluation. The state said he wasn't bad enough for them to take him (at this point he had threatened to kill his sisters, threatened to kill himself, threatened to blow everyone up, had knives hidden in his bedroom) so I lost my temper and asked why he has to kill someone before they will help him. She gave me a list of hospitals to call.

The closest was an hour and a half away, and i called them. Told them what was going on. First they said they would need biodad's permission to admit him, they called him and he didn't answer so they left a voice mail. Then they called me and said he was a threat to himself and others they would come and pick him up and they picked him up at 2:30 this morning. He's there for 5-7 days, hoping they can help him in that time.

Biodad called me 17 hours after they left the voicemail on his phone. 17 hours. At the suggestion of the social worker, I let him know what was going on, and also let him know that it was therapeutically recommended that he not speak with 10 year old at this time. Told him he wouldn't get the password and his name wouldn't be put down as an approved contact. Biodad then called the cops on me (??) because I wouldn't give him information. Cops told him they couldn't make me tell him anything. Hasn't talked to the kids in months, hasn't initiated contact in 2 years, and he wants to play superdad now.

So that's the update. The twins are home, 10year old is at a mental health crisis facility.

BloodiedButUnbowed

What a nightmare, but I am glad that your oldest is finally getting some help. I hope that the full extent of his problems will become apparent and that he will be sent to a long term placement. Your younger kids don't stand a chance of growing up normally with him in the home, from what you say, and I am very sorry to say that to you in the midst of such a terrible time.

The silver lining of course, being that your eldest is finally getting help. Good for you for making the statement that he has to kill someone to get help. I feel similarly about my stepson. Apparently attacking both of his parents wasn't enough to warrant inpatient hospitalization or more. The system sets families and patients up to fail.

ThinkPurple

10 year old treatment plan went okay. They want him to have counseling with biodad who lives quite a few states away and can't even to bother calling on his birthday. On new medications (zoloft and abilify) so we will see where this takes us.

OMG taking him to the er, even though he didn't "qualify for state services" has opened up a few things. We are trying now to get him on an SED waiver, he has a case manager through insurance, and a case manager through the facility. The possibility of respite care is extremely enticing to me.

ksm

Glad you are getting help. We did an SED waiver for our daughters. They don't have it anymore, as in paper, things improved. If you get the SED waiver, and things improve some, don't be in a hurry to think things are under control.

Hang in there!

KSM