B double O B......me

Star*

call 911........call 911
Well after 2 years of saving and working and saving and selling things and working my kiester off? I had $1850 dollars saved to buy myself a new car.

I found one and drove 1.5 hours to see it, at night. The man was very nice.

Looked at the car, took it for a ride, a few things wrong, but for a 2000 - it was dooable. Or seemed so.

What happened in essence? We got scammed - and not just scammed - but I'll be polite.

How? The SUV - didn't have the miles stated. They rolled back the odometer 100,000 miles. The vehicle had been wrecked, welded. The transmission is shot and the title is all goobled up. Has a lien on it. OH LOVELY - Where was DF in all of this? Letting the guy put the title in the glove box and I thought he looked at it so I said - OKAY.

When i asked for a bill of sale? I was told the title served as a bill of sale. What do I know I've bought 1 car since I've been here in SC - that's why I'm buying another - so I can get to school and get a job- a job because I'm unemployed. And now? I've lost that job because I don't have a vehicle that will get me anywhere. OMG you have no idea how angry I am.

So I do all the leg work, find out who these people are- call all the agencies I can within the legal limits of the law - and no. No, these people broke no laws.

WHAT?

Odometer tampering isn't an offense? Nope. Not on a 10 year old vehicle.

Selling a car with a bad transmission, welded frame and bad motor after you advertised it in writing with 128K and it has 228k is not punishable by law? No no not really - it was your responsibility to check the veh. out. Once you paid for it - sale over.

What about the guy pretending to be another man who owned the title place? -
Well prove that even happened. Well I have an ad here showing where he's trying to do this again - what about that? Can we set up a sting and go get him? No...you can't touch him - what's he done really? WTH? (not my first choice of words)

Well what about the fact that the scam picture was taken IN THIS MANS FRONT YARD - does that count towards showing that he WAS involved even though he said he isn't? mmmmmm no not really it's just a picture.

So I spent a day driving to this police department 1.5 hours south of my home, and talking and spending 15 hours on my computer getting evidence about how these people have been taken to court numerous times, how it all ties together, how they all KNOW each other - and have for years - and the police said - Well I can call them - I'll start there.

So I leave thinking - he's going to do something and 15 minutes later - the officer calls my phone - tells me he's contacted the scammer, and that the scammer has agreed to cooperate 100% - will meet me at the DMV and sign any paperwork so I can just put this all behind me and be done with it.

WAHT? WHAT????????? WTH? Be done with it? Do you realize this is FRAUD? No no not really. You have proved nothing. All the paper work you brought in from these people I could have reproduced on my computer in 10 minutes.

OMW......am I fuming.......HOW can this man say this? HOW can I tie it all together for him - do my own research - SHOW him how it all ties together - and prove it - and deliver it and then him say - Well just meet the crook at the DMV and problem over??

I swear to you - this state.........this state can take a flying leap. I can't sell this car.....I can't put it in my name. It has 100k less on the odometer than it shows on the title - WHO would ever buy it from me? OMan that makes ME look like a crook - even if I DO get a certificate that says - Odometer isn't what car says. 100K........is NOT a few miles and here they do NOT write EXEMPT - it says actual miles.

This is a nightmare - I'm out 1850.00 all my hard earned cash. I'm out a job. DF feels so low he's about suicidal. And the police are about the most ridiculous bunch of ---(have no word I'm really at a loss) I mean tells me I bring in TOO much evidence...WHO has TOO much evidence??? Tells me I should have come in Monday - NOT Wed. Then tells me I should NOT have contacted the DMV that they are idiots, and then tells me my title is worthless - and then tells me I gave him WAY too much evidence.

Unreal - I have just completely lost my faith in our police departments here for good - I mean it - this is it.

I called the states atty office - they said call DMV. DMV says - they can't prosecute, but will turn it over to SLED. The SLED people can't do much - but will call me in a couple months. Mean while they tell me to call the local police and work with them to build a case because this is really a mess. NO KIDDING.....And then the cop dismisses me and feels like he's solved the crime when he gets the man that scammed me and ripped me off to sign the title? OMG I could have gotten that guy to do that MONDAY -

WHAT a twisted and pathetic world this is........

Love it -OH and I was told NOT to call the guys new ad, to try to "vigilante" the man that we met - because if I did? I would be arrested for kidnapping. 30 years in prison. NICE - VERY NICE. I was just going to try to get a picture of him so we could show someone who is the other 1/2 of this scam - you can't believe what this man told us. unreal -

DDD

Good Grief! I am so so sorry that a slime ball can cause grave injury to such a wonderful intelligent person and, once again
we all have proof of how "the system" works. Geez, how I wish that our world was trustworthy. Many many hugs. DDD

H

HaoZi

Do any of the local news agencies do pieces on things like that? I would think once you document how many agencies provided NO HELP whatsoever and that this guy is still doing this... well, it would be a public service to warn as many people as possible about it. Even if you have to resort to placing a full page full color ad in the paper opposite his.

P

PatriotsGirl

OMG Star I don't even know what to say!!! Karma isn't even good enough for what these *%&$@# did!!!! I am speechless over the police non-actions. Absolutely speechless. Sounds like you live in my county. I am so so sorry. Hoovers is quite the understatement.

P

PatriotsGirl

Do any of the local news agencies do pieces on things like that? I would think once you document how many agencies provided NO HELP whatsoever and that this guy is still doing this... well, it would be a public service to warn as many people as possible about it. Even if you have to resort to placing a full page full color ad in the paper opposite his.

Excellent idea!!!!!!!!!

Star*

call 911........call 911
That's just it - this is an individual - and if I draw in the business that he's associated with without CONCRETE proof that I can take to court in front of a judge - without 100% doubt - then I get sued for Liable. And that's HUGE. I can't quite get the business tied into it - because they cover their tracks with funky paperwork - but it's copacetic - passable in the eyes of the law. I know it - THEY know it - but I already got warned NOT to put anything on the internet or papers. I'm told the investigators will take a week or more on this - BALONEY - this is going to get shoved in a box. This guy was done with me when I walked in. DF was so angry he got up and walked out. The officer even made a reference to if HE did what WE are doing - he'd get sued, loose his house, his job- college fund for the kids - and we were just awe struck.

H

HaoZi

Local news doesn't have any "undercover teams" they use to investigate scams that you could send an anonymous tip to? I'd also contact the BBB and find out about complaints and see if there is anything at federal level that could be done.

P

PatriotsGirl

How can they tell you not to say anything about it or post on the internet? Can they do that?

shellyd67

What a low down dirty dog ! I am sorry you were scammed Star. You hopefully will get the justice you deserve ...

Star*

call 911........call 911
Apparently - if I post anything derratory - despite what has happened to me - I can be sued. Aint that a pip? While EVERYTHING about me would LOVE to go redneck and put this car in the middle of town with a huge sign that says exactly what happened painted with a big lemon on it? Can't.

Star*

call 911........call 911
I still have my reports filed with the state - and with the federal gov't - which you would THINK - the police officer would have said "GOOD JOB" =====instead he got angry and said "YOU SHOULD HAVE WAITED until you talked TO US BEFORE YOU DID (makes waving wand hand gesture) ALL OF THIS" and I said back in a stunned look - "Well it was YOUR officer that I spoke with Monday that a.) did NOT tell me to come in here but b.) DID tell me to call these people - and THESE people told me to contact THE OTHER agencies. So maybe your outfit here needs to get together on what is proper protocal for this type of incident. (OH I WAS SO FURIOUS I COULD HAVE SPIT KITTENS) should not have done all these reports? Holy caves batman - I just handed you the case - and you're angry about it? I put it all together - with corroborating evidence - and he was ANGRY about "sifting" through the "Mound" of (waved hands" "ALL THIS" (um that's evidence FIFE) UGH.

I'm telling you - I am so through going to the police to do the right thing - it really does not pay.......I'd have been better off to run my own sting....find this guy - and play stupid - lump him up and drive him out to some abandoned road, get my money back and let THEM prove it was ME that did it. UGHHHHHHHHH. I mean if you have to PROVE that I was the one that DID it beyond the shadow of a reasonable doubt and it all boils down to YOUR word against mine and I can prove you have a history with the law.....well then ---------step aside. Grrrrrrrrrr. I just have to remember to do the deed - in a place where there are NO video cameras.

H

HaoZi

*mental image of a donkey hacking up kittens like furballs*

Use a bag of apples to smack him around - no fist marks. ;)

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Holy cow. I thought only such things happened in central Illinois. Seriously. Yet another reason among a long list of reasons I got out of that state about 30 yrs ago and never looked back.

Did you research turn up a lemon law you could at least use in civil court against this jerk?

I would be utterly devastated. Good grief it's not like that much money is chump change, ya know?

When you make it up here and are car hunting......we'll fix it so as sister in law goes with you to check it out and buy it. No way will he let someone slide a scam over on you. This is why no one in the family goes car shopping without him. Not only can he smell a scam a mile away, the boy is an ace mechanic on anything with a motor from motorcycles to airplanes.

I'm so sorry Star. That hoovers to hades as back. That you supposedly can't do anything about it.........are you sure the cop isn't part n parcel with those dudes? Ya know, the good ol boy system?

(((hugs)))

donna723

Oh Star, how awful! What a dispicable sleezeball!

I am very big on calling those investigative reporters from the TV stations! The LOVE to get stories like that! Then, if they investigate and bring it all to light, it's THEM doing it, not you! And if it's made public, you never know, there may be many more victims who had the same stunt pulled on them!

Another thing, it sounds like these people do this all the time, they make a living off of it. Even if they weren't misrepresenting the vehicles, if you buy and sell a certain number of vehicles in a certain period of time, the government considers you to be a "dealer", even if you claim that you're not. They're probably picking up cars at a vehicle auction, tampering with the odometers, and then reselling them. Therefore, they are probably in the business of buying and selling vehicles without a proper business license! And if they're dealing in cash, they probably are not paying taxes on what they make from their unofficial sleezy business either.

Can you not take them to small claims court too? Sounds to me like this is a case for Judge Judy!

Lothlorien

Okay.....we need the power of the board to wish a heap of donkey turds to fall from the sky on this man and bury him. Really. Suffocating in manure seems the only good death for a creep like that.

I hope you can find someone who will investigate this and you get your money back.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
This doesn't help this time, but in the future, insist on a CarFax report on any used vehicle you plan on buying. If you are using a dealer, they should get you one.

Otherwise, CarFax gives a few free checks when you sign up. You need the VIN to use CarFax, but it is verifiable and honest and even covers things like salvage titles, flood damage, failed emissions tests, etc.

nvts

You know, I have an idea. Why not call "Judge Judy, Nancy Grace, Judge Joe Brown, The People's Court" or one of those tv personalities and see if you can have your case "resolved there - in their forum"? Most of them are arbitrators and have a looser legal requirement.

The best thing about the People's Court is that the money is paid from a fund and whatever is leftover, you split with the other party!

Sorry you got the Royal Stick Up!

Beth