Bacon cookies?

KTMom91

My nephew, N, age 12, asked via FB if I was bringing any goodies tomorrow. I responded that I hadn't decided what I was making, and did he have any suggestions. He did. Cookies with bacon.

Well, I found a recipe...so the kid is getting bacon cookies tomorrow. He should have learned after the poop cake story...Son #2, being a smart alec, said that he wanted a poop cake for his birthday, so I made him a litter box cake, complete with tootsie roll poops. If you haven't seen one, google it. Funny as heck.

I'll let you know how N likes his bacon cookies.

KTMom91

4 slices bacon, cut into small pieces
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup butter or margarine, chilled
1 egg
1 pinch salt
3 tablespoons heavy cream
1 dash ground black pepper
1 egg yolk, beaten

Directions:
Fry bacon pieces in a large skillet over medium heat until crispy. Remove with a slotted spoon to paper towels, and cool completely.

Into a large mixing bowl, place the flour, butter or margarine, egg,salt, and heavy cream. Using the mixer's hook attachment, mix the contents of the bowl together until combined; then transfer the dough to the counter, and quickly mix with your hands. Knead in cooled bacon pieces and pepper.

Roll up the dough into a log, to a diameter of about 1 1/2 inches. Wrap in aluminum foil, and refrigerate for 2 hours or until firm.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Remove foil, cut dough roll into slices, and place slices on greased baking sheet. Brush each slice with beaten egg yolk.

Bake in a preheated oven for 12 to 15 minutes, until brown. Remove to a wire rack until cooled completely.

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
Thanks for the receipe - Jamie LOVES bacon - he puts it on everything, oatmeal, mashed potatoes, soup, on a cracker. I get those bags of it from Costco, and buy at least two every few weeks. Had found some Bacon Soap and Bacon Chewing Gum on the internet :) If they made Bacon Perfume, and he would find a girl that would wear it, he would be in love forever

Marcie

amazeofgrace

A maze of Grace - that about sums it up
Bacon Caramels

Sure, your first thought might be, "bacon caramels?! That sounds awful!" But let's just think about this for a minute....

It's Sunday morning, your enjoying a cup of coffee with your breakfast while reading the paper. You're most important meal of the day consists of a shortstack of pancakes with a side of bacon. As you're flipping through the sports section you reach for a piece of bacon that decided to get a little to close to the syrup on your plate. Mmmm, maple-bacon goodness! EUREKA! That is exactly what bacon caramels can do for your tastebuds and you don't even need make breakfast!

Ingredients:

• 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
  • 1 cup corn syrup
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 1 cup heavy cream, divided (1/2 goes in first, 1/2 goes in later)
  • 1/4 cup maple syrup
  • 8 pieces of bacon fried until crispy
  • You will also need a candy thermometer. You can pick these up for just a few dollars at the store.
Directions:

• Fry up your bacon and make sure it's really crispy. Once cool, crumble your bacon and set aside.
  • Combine all ingredients except bacon and 1/2 cup of heavy cream in a medium sauce pan. Stir to combine.
  • Set on medium high heat. Stir occasionally until the temp reaches 240* (this took longer than I thought so hang in there. Also, the mixture really bubbles up crazy and you think it's going to burn but that's normal! Just keep on bubblin' until you hit the 240*)
  • Remove from the stove and carefully stir in the remaining 1/2 cup cream. Place back on the stove and continue to cook until 245*
  • Once reaching that temp, immediately remove from heat and stir in a portion of the crispy bacon.
  • Pour the caramel into a buttered 9x13 dish.
  • Scatter the remaining bacon on top and let set for at least 3 hours before cutting

KTMom91

N was amazed that I did that "just for him," and had such a cute little smile! The cookies were actually pretty good, reminded me of a bacon sandwich. The best part was the look on his face, though.

I also made red velvet cupcakes, with cream cheese icing made from scratch, and got the same cute smile from N's sister E. I was not aware red velvet was her favorite dessert, but I was a most popular auntie today!

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
I was skeptical until I noticed they don't have sugar in them. Since I adore bacon... HMMMM...